FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:11 am

Crossovers

<<

rolereversal

TFM-25

Post Thu Dec 04, 2008 7:30 pm

Crossovers

So... can I buy crossovers made up for the AL silvers..or would I have to send ours away to get them rebuilt?
I'D HATE TO BE WITHOUT MUSIC FOR A WHILE!!!!
Not sure if or when I would want to do that but just seems to me when we re-wired and replaced the speakers and binding posts the only weak spot left was the crossovers? They really look like they were built out of left over parts put together on peg board? :lol:
They sound okay as far as I know..but, maybe there is room for improvement?
<<

OBI56

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Thu Dec 04, 2008 8:24 pm

Re: Crossovers

rolereversal wrote:So... can I buy crossovers made up for the AL silvers..or would I have to send ours away to get them rebuilt?
I'D HATE TO BE WITHOUT MUSIC FOR A WHILE!!!!
Not sure if or when I would want to do that but just seems to me when we re-wired and replaced the speakers and binding posts the only weak spot left was the crossovers? They really look like they were built out of left over parts put together on peg board? :lol:
They sound okay as far as I know..but, maybe there is room for improvement?

They look that way cause they were probably built that way Jean!!! I've never seen a picture of an elegant looking crossover on an Amazing; they all seem to have that homebuilt look to them. Maybe contact DaveS to see if he has any spares available.
Why let facts or common sense get in the way of your opinions.
<<

gdb

SILVER-7t

Post Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:48 pm

Dear RR, I don't know spit about Carver or any other crossovers but...the Polk people re-do theirs all the time, and supposedly it's a breeze for anyone who can read the diagrams and solder fairly well ! Sonicaps and Mills are the two big brands favored by the "Polkies" There are more than a few "Carverites" over there too, so you might get some first class guidance over there as to which way to proceed.Good luck!! Geoff :) Here's a little light reading for ya
http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/search. ... id=3067336
<<

F1nut

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:34 pm

You cannot buy made up crossovers for the Amazing's. You can rebulid the original ones. However, one issue involves replacing the resistors as they have wattage values much greater than Mills or Mundorf sell, which pretty much leaves the caps. The caps used by Carver are crap, so replacing them with film/foil types will improve the sound.
Political Correctness...defined

A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

In a recent press conference, President Obama remarked, "If I had a city, it would look just like Detroit."
<<

rolereversal

TFM-25

Post Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:41 pm

Thanks I see we have another little project over the holidays then..caps we can do.... :D
<<

maddmaxxx

(Pair of Silver 9t's)

Post Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:45 am

-mz RR; the only caps ive seen avail for sil/ plats are mediocre ones from ...

-parts x-press [and just a few at that]

-let me know if a decent brand exists since oddball caps are on all ALS's, bigtime :(

-its a pistol...trust me 8-[
-* © Küül ®™ /mx...
-Too hip gotta book
-"Don't BAN me Bro!"...el/doro
<<

F1nut

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Fri Dec 05, 2008 1:01 am

Max, give me the uF values needed.

A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

In a recent press conference, President Obama remarked, "If I had a city, it would look just like Detroit."
<<

skip

aka (Sasquach)

Post Fri Dec 05, 2008 7:35 am

F1,
For Plats the caps are as follows:
1~ 450uf150vnp
1~ 150uf100vnd but should be 150-200v to keep them from cooking (I've smoked 2)
2~ 10uf100v

Let me know too if you know of any quality caps available in these specs please.
Sasquatch
TnRabbit's Assistant Official OCCD Enabler.

How long a minute is, depends on what side of the bathroom door you're on.
<<

maddmaxxx

(Pair of Silver 9t's)

Post Fri Dec 05, 2008 1:56 pm

-silver [mk4]

-125uf 100v [non-polarized]

-175uf 150v [np]

-gotta find my diabolic master list, on acct i can not read the little buggers anymore... :shock:
-* © Küül ®™ /mx...
-Too hip gotta book
-"Don't BAN me Bro!"...el/doro
<<

F1nut

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Sat Dec 06, 2008 3:53 am

I'm working on it guys.

Those really are some damn big ass values......I'd forgotten.

<<

BillD

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Location: The west's most mid-western town, Scottsdale, Arizona

Post Sat Dec 06, 2008 2:01 pm

That's why they were using non-polar electrolytics rather than poly caps. Someone really needs to invent a way to make big valued poly caps.
It should sound like it isn't there!
There is a difference between hearing and listening...
Making life enjoyable through expensive electronics.

F1nut

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Sat Dec 06, 2008 8:12 pm

It appears that for the large values needed that Solen caps are going to be the only choice. For the 450uF's you're still going to have to parallel a few to achieve that value. For the 10uF's, there's a lot to choose from.

Without looking at the schematics, I'll presume that the large values are for the low pass, which isn't as critical, so the Solen's will still be a vast improvement over the stock ones.

<<

rolereversal

TFM-25

Post Sun Dec 07, 2008 1:46 pm

Thanks again guys, I am going to look into this as well and find out what feedback I get from the techs around here as well as suppliers. Just wish I knew more about electronics so I really understood how these things work... :lol:

Return to Carver Speakers