FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:31 am

Looking for AL-IIIs: Any advice?

<<

ParisMatt

Post Sat Dec 13, 2008 12:12 pm

Looking for AL-IIIs: Any advice?

As a longtime fan of Carver gear, I finally have the resources to begin building my Carver system. I bought an HR-722 receiver many years ago, but that is as far as I got on my journey. (On reflection, it would have been a lot less expensive to build this system when I lived in the States -- I estimate that the shipping on the speakers will be $500+)

I am now on the lookout for a TFM-45 amp and a pair of AL-IIIs to go with it. A few questions:

Is this a reasonable basis for building a system? Or should I consider upgrading my receiver as well? My listening is predominantly CDs (and MP3s, if that won't make the purists on here cringe).

Anything specific I should look for on the AL-IIIs / questions I should ask? I will be buying these remotely, so won't be able to audition them in-person. What's the going market rate for a set in good condition.

Incidentally, if anyone on here has a set that they are interested in selling (and don't mind shipping abroad), please let me know. I have not yet reached the magic threshold to see the for-sale section.

Lots and lots to learn, so please forgive me if I come across as an ignorant newbie. It's because I am an ignorant newbie! :shock:
<<

TNRabbit

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Sat Dec 13, 2008 12:19 pm

Re: Looking for AL-IIIs: Any advice?

AL-IIIs go from between $500 on the low end and $1100 on the high end. This depends greatly on condition and whether they are the original with 3 pots on the back or the Plus model without the pots (original is more desireable). One of our forum members, FrankieD, has a TFM-42 for sale; that might be an option for you. Also, at least 2 members have Silver 7/9t monoblock amps for sale as well.

WELCOME to the forum~
=D> =D>
Last edited by TNRabbit on Sat Dec 13, 2008 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.
<<

ParisMatt

Post Sat Dec 13, 2008 12:23 pm

Now I will really reveal my ignorance: 8-[

I am looking at a pair of AL-III+ on ebay (not sure if I can provide a link on here or not -- haven't read the TOS in detail!). On the back, there are separate inputs for the ribbon and woofer.

Can I drive both inputs from a single TFM-42/45 (two-channel amp) or do I need two amps to handle the task?
<<

stevewithrow

SILVER-7t

Post Sat Dec 13, 2008 12:38 pm

Hi Matt and welcome...I have a pair of AL-III,s....they are the originals....It would be ideal if you could listen to them before purchase....reason being , you would want to play piano music at a decent level , this will tell you the ribbons have any issues....also if you use one amp , it better be a man amp , as these speakers can dip down to 2 ohms at times , as this can kill the normal amp....so going with a Carver amp is best....if you can the Sunfire 600x2 would be perfect....I have a TFM 35 , I ran it alone to the AL-III,s and it did well...About half the power I could run to em....But now I have them Bi-amped..I have the 35 to the ribbons and a NAD2400 ( getting replaced with another 35 ) to the woofers...sounds great ..I think alot of members that have these would agree that bi amping is ideal with these....But like I said , the ribbons should be checked out , piano music will show any defects...
<<

TNRabbit

Post Sat Dec 13, 2008 12:45 pm

Many speakers have bi-amp capability; you just leave the connectors on & you can run them with the standard 2 wire connection from you amplifier. HOWEVER; you may find (as many have) that biamping can provide a new level of enjoyment from these speakers as they are a somewhat difficult load for many amps.

Here's a link to my review of them:

http://www.carveraudio.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=3511
TNRabbit

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

<<

TNRabbit

Post Sat Dec 13, 2008 12:50 pm

TNRabbit

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A

<<

Zoot Horn

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:16 pm

Welcome to the forum,, good luck in your quest for AL III's
<<

docadillac

TFM-25

Post Sat Dec 13, 2008 6:12 pm

Welcome to the forum and good luck in the hunt for those beauties!!! :)
<<

ParisMatt

Post Sun Dec 14, 2008 6:50 am

TNRabbit wrote:You DEFINITELY want to personally pick them up as shipping would most likely damage them (I've never seen anyone but Toy Maker/Dave S package them correctly)....they're HEAVY (90-100 lbs)!

That's going to be a little tricky. I don't own a car...

...and I live in France!

Like it or not, I'm afraid that any speakers I buy will have to be shipped. But that's also why I was interested in buying a set of speakers from someone on here -- much more likely to be working as described...
<<

OBI56

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Sun Dec 14, 2008 8:00 am

ParisMatt, those 2 last little details make a HUGE difference regarding your original question.

There are several logistical problems that need to be resolved before shipping a pair of working AL-IIIs overseas, the least of which is that they are relatively fragile to move and NEED proper support, so you are looking at either finding a pair that has the original factory packaging or get some custom fitted (probably wooden) shipping cases made for them. Another possibility would be th have the "wing" assemblies removed from the bass cabinets and shipped in a separate box from these, then re-assembled when they arrive (probably a safer bet). So, as far as shipping alone goes, $500 is close to ballpark, give or take a few hundred $. I'm also thinking that a pair of Amazing Silvers could even be easier to ship only requiring the rmoval of the bases to pack into the original packaging or to get custom crates made.

Unless you find a pair with the original factory boxes, figure on as much for custom fitted wooden shipping crates which will at least double the total shipping weight which in turn raises your shipping costs.

It might actually be worth looking into finding a pair in Europe (I doubt that more than a few dozens pairs exist over there), preferable locally and find someone you know and trust to transport them for you.

If you want ot stay within the Carver family of products, there might be another alternative you could consider. A pair of Sunfire CRM-2s or CRM-3s with a properly matched sub might be just the ticket. As they are available new adn they weigh substantially less and are much smaller, the difference in shipping costs alone might pay for the slightly higher price.

One thing you haven't mentionned is the size of your listening room and just how much available space you can devote to the speakers. IMO, your typical Parisian appartment wouldn't allow you the 1M side and rear clearance and 2M distance between the speakers to allow a pair of AL-IIIs or Silvers to develop their full sound potential.

As for your choice of a TFM-42 or 45, it should be a good starting point for any of the 3 sets of speakers mentionned above.

Hope this helps.
Why let facts or common sense get in the way of your opinions.
<<

ParisMatt

Post Sun Dec 14, 2008 9:21 am

OBI56 wrote:There are several logistical problems that need to be resolved before shipping a pair of working AL-IIIs overseas, the least of which is that they are relatively fragile to move and NEED proper support, so you are looking at either finding a pair that has the original factory packaging or get some custom fitted (probably wooden) shipping cases made for them. Another possibility would be th have the "wing" assemblies removed from the bass cabinets and shipped in a separate box from these, then re-assembled when they arrive (probably a safer bet). So, as far as shipping alone goes, $500 is close to ballpark, give or take a few hundred $. I'm also thinking that a pair of Amazing Silvers could even be easier to ship only requiring the rmoval of the bases to pack into the original packaging or to get custom crates made.

I have been in touch with the vendor -- he is going to have the speakers crated, and estimates the shipping cost to be around $500 all-in. I asked about the original boxes, but sadly they are not available. I thought about trying to find a pair that were already in Europe, but that's like trying to find a needle in a haystack. It's hard enough to find someone willing to ship a pair to Europe, let alone find someone who is selling a pair in Europe.

One thing you haven't mentionned is the size of your listening room and just how much available space you can devote to the speakers. IMO, your typical Parisian appartment wouldn't allow you the 1M side and rear clearance and 2M distance between the speakers to allow a pair of AL-IIIs or Silvers to develop their full sound potential.

We should be okay on this front -- our apartment has large rooms, at least by Parisian standards. The listening room is approx. 7 meters long and 4 metres wide, so there is enough space for proper placement.

Many thanks for all the advice I am getting on here. Really helpful!
<<

weitrhino

SILVER-7t

Post Sun Dec 14, 2008 10:26 am

I realize you are fixed on the AL III's, but don't discount the advice on the Sunfire CRM-2's or 3's. They are bookshelf sized, but don't let that fool you. (this is Bob Carver after all!) Matched with a sub you could obtain locally, the Sunfires will be a very close alternative and will amaze (there's that word again) you with how large they sound. Shipping would be a fraction of what you are now looking at and they could be brand new in original sealed packaging. I have heard them driven with my amps and they are fantastic.
<<

ParisMatt

Post Sun Dec 14, 2008 11:43 am

There is a set of CRM-2s NIB on e-bay for $1000. Factor in the $500 that I will save on shipping, and there could be a compelling argument for the CRM-2s. Which subs do people recommend matching to the CRM-2s?
<<

engtaz

"TAZ"

Post Sun Dec 14, 2008 1:23 pm

Welcome ParisMatt.
engtaz

Carver M4.0T in front channels to Caver AL VI's in SACD & 2 Channel setup
C 16, PT 2400, Slim Device, Carver TX-8, 490T and Rega TT w Grado Gold cart in the 2 channel setup
Bogen SRB20 is computer amp
Carver PM-350 donated for youth church use
<<

Toy Maker

Puppet Master

Post Sun Dec 14, 2008 1:48 pm

That's too bad.... this set is about 10 minutes away from me. Figure a GOOD 400 pound including the crate.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... %26otn%3D2
Whatever you do in life will be insignificant, but it's very important that you do it... because nobody else will.

‎~You think Einstein walked around thinkin' everyone was a bunch of dumb shits?~

SHUT UP AND ENJOY THE MUSIC!
╭∩╮(︶︿︶)╭∩╮
Next

Return to Carver Speakers