FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Fri Sep 04, 2015 9:34 am

NEW AL-VI Design Progress (( DESIGN POLL ))

Pick the set you like better

Design on the Left
59%
Design on the Right
41%

Total votes : 34
<<

Toy Maker

Puppet Master

Post Thu Jan 15, 2009 7:13 pm

NEW AL-VI Design Progress (( DESIGN POLL ))

Well, I'm going at it again. I have decided to go ahead with yet another new ALS'ish design.
This time will be using the same bulletproof 48" Carver ribbons, but I am going with a much better sub driver this time around.
Attachments
AL6-2.JPG
AL6-2.JPG (38.72 KiB) Viewed 1000 times
<<

AlexSauter

Site Admin

Post Thu Jan 15, 2009 7:47 pm

Re: NEW AL-VI Design Progress (( DESIGN POLL ))

Kick A$$ design!!!!
My system (sitting in the garage):

(Stereo System)
Carver Pro PT-1800
Logitech Squeezebox
RCA-Headphone jack for iPod & iPhone
<<

engtaz

"TAZ"

Post Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:10 pm

one on right. sweet looking
engtaz

Carver M4.0T in front channels to Caver AL VI's in SACD & 2 Channel setup
C 16, PT 2400, Slim Device, Carver TX-8, 490T and Rega TT w Grado Gold cart in the 2 channel setup
Bogen SRB20 is computer amp
Carver PM-350 donated for youth church use
<<

Toy Maker

Puppet Master

Post Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:12 pm

I will be bringing these to CF this time :lol:

I still haven't decided on materials or colors yet
<<

F1nut

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:36 am

Looks like I'm getting out voted, but I like the one on the left.
Political Correctness...defined

A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

In a recent press conference, President Obama remarked, "If I had a city, it would look just like Detroit."
<<

stevewithrow

SILVER-7t

Post Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:00 am

I think they are both great , but I was wondering if James put like 5 to 7 , 5 inch mid drivers per speaker for SPL , just a thought....
<<

Toy Maker

Puppet Master

Post Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:12 am

you lost me....

you think I should add 5" driver to add SPL ?? :-s
<<

stevewithrow

SILVER-7t

Post Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:42 am

Toy Maker wrote:you lost me....

you think I should add 5" driver to add SPL ?? :-s

(sound pressure level )...?..like 5 per speaker , sort of like the genisis arrays...?..does that make any sense..? :-k
<<

Dreamer

SILVER-7t

Post Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:01 am

I think he means to boost the SPL in the upper bass and mids range. A LOT of "flagship" speakers with ribbons or electrostatic panels include a line array for this.

Witness, the Martin Logan Statement e2:

You can easily tell which part is the ESL panel (the clear panels). The box to the side of the clear panel is actually a line array of 7" drivers (I think they have 8 per side). This gives the Statements all the wonderful air and transparency of big electrostatics, but all the upper-bass and midrange punch anyone could ever want. (Bass is provided by 2 separate subwoofer modules which have 8x12" drivers each--you can see on ein the rear right of this pic...) I looked and looked on the web, but couldn't find a SINGLE pic of the Statements with the grill cloths off of their line array. Oh well...

I've heard the Statements, and, YES, they ARE all that and a bag of chips. After hearing these speakers, EVERY other speaker is just a sad approximation of what a speaker can be. Of course, they retailed new for $79,999, and have a total weight (4 modules, plus crossovers) of 1800lbs, and you need a room the size of a small barn to let them really sound proper...

So anyway, I agree that a line array would only make your new Amazing Mk IV's sound better, and would DEFINITELY give them that mid-bass authority that a lot of ribbon speakers lack, but you've got to then worry about all sorts of OTHER design issues" phase linearity with the ribbons, an additional crossover channel, and a MASSIVE jump in current demand from your amps. Most of the ML Statements I've seen on line seem to be Tri-Amped. That would mean you'd need to go out and buy a whole stack of those Odyssey beasts that you use, but it sure would look cool with a bank of SIX Silver 7t's lined up on the floor behind them... :shock:

Something sort of like this:

I added a line array of 5x5" drivers, and a second woofer.

Ahhh, a boy can dream, can't he?
Last edited by Dreamer on Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
.....HT Rig • Sony STR-DG600 Receiver • Carver M-500t • Sony BDP-S1 • Sony DVP-NS3100ES • Apple Airport Express •
..............................• Martin Logan Scenarios, Logos • Realistic Minimus 7's • Velodyne F-1500b •

2 Ch. Rig • Carver C-4000t • Silver 7t's • Krell KAV-300i • Oppo DV-981HD • Benchmark DAC1-USB • MacBook Pro 17", iTunes •
......• Technics SL-1350 turntable with Sumiko headshell, leads, and Bluepoint cartridge • Martin Logan Sequels •

.........................................................-+-Click Here to see my system-+-
<<

F1nut

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:08 am

WTF is outside of his window? Looks like the city dump! :shock:
Political Correctness...defined

A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

In a recent press conference, President Obama remarked, "If I had a city, it would look just like Detroit."
<<

engtaz

"TAZ"

Post Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:18 am

I was thinking the same thing. :lol:
engtaz

C 16, PT 2400, Slim Device, Carver TX-8, 490T and Rega TT w Grado Gold cart in the 2 channel setup
<<

Toy Maker

Puppet Master

Post Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:44 am

Those are all the boxes all that ML shit came in !!! :lol:

Yeah, the line array is where the speakers Bob and I are working on are going...
Mine are a little different, think "livingroom concert speakers"
I really don't think I am going to be tri-amping at all. I am trying to keep this design very clean, simple, and easy to build.
But they still have to make your ears bleed !!! \:D/
<<

Dreamer

SILVER-7t

Post Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:51 am

That pic was taken about a week after that owner moved into that house, and yes, that stuff is all the moving boxes and a few extra pieces of furniture sitting on his patio. When you live in Barbados, I guess garbage pickup (much like ALL municipal services down there) isn't really something you get with any sort of definite reliability...

"No Worries, mon..."
.....HT Rig • Sony STR-DG600 Receiver • Carver M-500t • Sony BDP-S1 • Sony DVP-NS3100ES • Apple Airport Express •
..............................• Martin Logan Scenarios, Logos • Realistic Minimus 7's • Velodyne F-1500b •

2 Ch. Rig • Carver C-4000t • Silver 7t's • Krell KAV-300i • Oppo DV-981HD • Benchmark DAC1-USB • MacBook Pro 17", iTunes •
......• Technics SL-1350 turntable with Sumiko headshell, leads, and Bluepoint cartridge • Martin Logan Sequels •

.........................................................-+-Click Here to see my system-+-
<<

engtaz

"TAZ"

Post Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:58 am

Dreamer wrote:That pic was taken about a week after that owner moved into that house, and yes, that stuff is all the moving boxes and a few extra pieces of furniture sitting on his patio. When you live in Barbados, I guess garbage pickup (much like ALL municipal services down there) isn't really something you get with any sort of definite reliability...

"No Worries, mon..."

I guess we are kind of spoil in that respect.
engtaz

<<

Toy Maker

Puppet Master

Post Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:45 am

I didn't see your photo before.... are you using Autocad ??
I get the idea of the design, but damn, those are BIG...

Next

Return to Carver Speakers