Finished my ribbons!

Carver Speaker Discussions and Questions
odd fellow
Newbie
Posts: 21
Joined: Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:09 pm
Contact:

Finished my ribbons!

Post by odd fellow » Sun Jan 25, 2009 1:32 am

Here they are, I cross them at 200hz, 12db slope.
They sound incredible!
Image
Image
Image

paul
Image
"Letting the smoke out of an electronic device is a process which converts a useful piece of equipment into a paper weight."

User avatar
stevewithrow
SILVER-7t
Posts: 1315
Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:59 am
Location: Great NorthWest.....Carver Country..

Re: Finished my ribbons!

Post by stevewithrow » Sun Jan 25, 2009 1:36 am

Wow..Very impresive...!!!

User avatar
OBI56
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP
Posts: 4885
Joined: Sat Oct 20, 2007 12:52 am
Location: You ... OFF MY PLANET!

Re: Finished my ribbons!

Post by OBI56 » Sun Jan 25, 2009 2:54 am

Very impressive indeed odd fellow! What ribbons are you using and what are you using for the low end? What kind of wood and finish is that?
Why let facts or common sense get in the way of your opinions.

User avatar
TNRabbit
R.I.P. Friend
R.I.P. Friend
Posts: 13360
Joined: Sun Jan 14, 2007 11:53 am
Location: TN Native Languishing in VA
Contact:

Re: Finished my ribbons!

Post by TNRabbit » Sun Jan 25, 2009 5:57 am

COOL~ =D> =D> =D>
TNRabbit
Image

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.

User avatar
Reese
TFM-75
Posts: 839
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2005 7:33 pm
Location: Santa Fe NM

Re: Finished my ribbons!

Post by Reese » Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:48 am

They look great-- glad you're impressed with the sound, too! And yes, what woofers are you using?

Kudos to you!
=D> =D> =D> =D>
Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought -- JFK

Sunfire Classic Tube Preamp; 2 Carver Silver 7ts, 2 Silver 9ts; bi-amped ALS (Originals upgraded to Platinum), Rane PE15's eq's and Rane AC22 xcrossover; Carver c-19 tube pre;
Carver 390t CD carousel; Carver 490t CD player; BBE 362 Sonic Maximizer; C-9 SH; Sony ES tuner and DAT deck; Sony CD copier/burner; Sony dual cassette deck; TEAC 2340R 4 ch r to r tape deck; Dual CS5000 tt, Shure V15 Type V-MR cartridge

User avatar
Dreamer
SILVER-7t
Posts: 1568
Joined: Mon Oct 30, 2006 1:17 am
Location: Washington, NC
Contact:

Re: Finished my ribbons!

Post by Dreamer » Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:11 am

OBI56 wrote:Very impressive indeed odd fellow! What ribbons are you using and what are you using for the low end? What kind of wood and finish is that?

Looks like pine with an ebony stain...

Very nice design on those speakers! Are you using a subwoofer with them? What sort of sub are you ysing with that setup?
.....HT Rig • Sony STR-DG600 Receiver • Carver M-500t • Sony BDP-S1 • Sony DVP-NS3100ES • Apple Airport Express •
..............................• Martin Logan Scenarios, Logos • Realistic Minimus 7's • Velodyne F-1500b •

2 Ch. Rig • Carver C-4000t • Silver 7t's • Krell KAV-300i • Oppo DV-981HD • Benchmark DAC1-USB • MacBook Pro 17", iTunes •
......• Technics SL-1350 turntable with Sumiko headshell, leads, and Bluepoint cartridge • Martin Logan Sequels •

.........................................................-+-Click Here to see my system-+-

odd fellow
Newbie
Posts: 21
Joined: Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:09 pm
Contact:

Re: Finished my ribbons!

Post by odd fellow » Sun Jan 25, 2009 1:48 pm

Dreamer wrote:
OBI56 wrote:Very impressive indeed odd fellow! What ribbons are you using and what are you using for the low end? What kind of wood and finish is that?

Looks like pine with an ebony stain...

Very nice design on those speakers! Are you using a subwoofer with them? What sort of sub are you ysing with that setup?
Thank You all!:D

You nailed it.
Cheapest lumber at Home Depot with minwax ebony.
I was looking at exotic wood til I saw the prices and figured I would try this.
It cost next to nothing and it looks great (IMO).
I am using my JBL Decade bookshelf speakers MFD 1968 for bass.
They sound great and play quite low.
There are 10" 8ohm fosgate punch subs in them right now...

The ribbons are custom cut aluminum foil +packaging tape, .70" wide.
Corrugated with a fiskars unit purchased at a craft store.
Image
"Letting the smoke out of an electronic device is a process which converts a useful piece of equipment into a paper weight."

User avatar
stevewithrow
SILVER-7t
Posts: 1315
Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:59 am
Location: Great NorthWest.....Carver Country..

Re: Finished my ribbons!

Post by stevewithrow » Sun Jan 25, 2009 1:54 pm

odd fellow wrote:
Dreamer wrote:
OBI56 wrote:Very impressive indeed odd fellow! What ribbons are you using and what are you using for the low end? What kind of wood and finish is that?

Looks like pine with an ebony stain...

Very nice design on those speakers! Are you using a subwoofer with them? What sort of sub are you ysing with that setup?
Thank You all!:D

You nailed it.
Cheapest lumber at Home Depot with minwax ebony.
I was looking at exotic wood til I saw the prices and figured I would try this.
It cost next to nothing and it looks great (IMO).
I am using my JBL Decade bookshelf speakers MFD 1968 for bass.
They sound great and play quite low.
There are 10" 8ohm fosgate punch subs in them right now...

The ribbons are custom cut aluminum foil +packaging tape, .70" wide.
Corrugated with a fiskars unit purchased at a craft store.
Did you make the ribbons your self.....?...with the foil...?

User avatar
Toy Maker
Puppet Master
Posts: 6804
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2003 1:26 am

Re: Finished my ribbons!

Post by Toy Maker » Sun Jan 25, 2009 2:39 pm

WOOOOOOOOOOO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

DUDE !!!! GO GET AN OHM METER BEFORE YOU BLOW YOUR AMP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Aluminum foil is WAY TOO THICK to use for a trace... I see you have alot of traces, that'a good. But make sure your trace is reading at least 3-4 ohms. I see you have a TFM amp, not sure which one, but I have fried many-a-Carver-amps with too low of impedance.

I didn't say anything at 1st, I asumed it was some OEM ribbon from somewhere.

Just be carefull.

PS, post a pic of the back of the speaker, I wanna see what you did for the ribbon design.

User avatar
BillD
R.I.P. Friend
R.I.P. Friend
Posts: 7126
Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2007 8:29 pm
Location: The west's most mid-western town, Scottsdale, Arizona

Re: Finished my ribbons!

Post by BillD » Sun Jan 25, 2009 3:02 pm

Yeah, more questions. What are you using for magnets?
It should sound like it isn't there!
There is a difference between hearing and listening...
Making life enjoyable through expensive electronics.
_________________
Carver: C-4000 & C-1 preamps, PSC-60 preamp/tuner, TX-11a tuner, M-400 (2), C-500, M-500, M-500t, M-500t Mk.II, A-500x, AL-III loudspeakers (2 pr.)
Sunfire:Theater Grand III processor, Ultimate Receiver, Cinema Grand Signature 400 ~ seven, True Subwoofer Mk. II, D-10 Subwoofer

User avatar
Toy Maker
Puppet Master
Posts: 6804
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2003 1:26 am

Re: Finished my ribbons!

Post by Toy Maker » Sun Jan 25, 2009 3:14 pm

and I'm curious to know how the packing tape sounds as a membrane.

odd fellow
Newbie
Posts: 21
Joined: Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:09 pm
Contact:

Re: Finished my ribbons!

Post by odd fellow » Sun Jan 25, 2009 3:24 pm

Toy Maker wrote:WOOOOOOOOOOO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

DUDE !!!! GO GET AN OHM METER BEFORE YOU BLOW YOUR AMP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Aluminum foil is WAY TOO THICK to use for a trace... I see you have alot of traces, that'a good. But make sure your trace is reading at least 3-4 ohms. I see you have a TFM amp, not sure which one, but I have fried many-a-Carver-amps with too low of impedance.

I didn't say anything at 1st, I asumed it was some OEM ribbon from somewhere.

Just be carefull.

PS, post a pic of the back of the speaker, I wanna see what you did for the ribbon design.
Aluminum foil varies in thickness and can be manipulated electrically in many ways.
4 traces at an ohm a piece wired in series and current going in same direction thru all 4.
DC impedance is 4.2 ohms.
The foil is target brand about 4 or 5x thicker than the .5um foil I have harvested from capacitors.
The amp is a carver design, but its actually an audiosource amp seven T MFD by Phoenix Gold.
It is a Tripath amp that's 2 ohm stable.
TEN watts is more than can be tolerated by my ear from these ribbons with this amp so its got plenty of staying power under variant loads I think.
I paid $125 for it so if it blows up (not likely) I'll build a better one myself.

My take on foil for diaphragms is:
I tried a foil from .22uf cap and it was a SMIDGE clearer up top, but sounded like a trash bag in the wind when lower sounds were cranked.
There is no significant difference in sound to me between the two types of ribbons that a small adjustment to the EQ could not fix.

Pros to lighter foil were higher treble response and (maybe) some more clarity.
Cons to lighter ribbon are higher x-over point, and like 8x the power consumption because of having magnet wire to match impedance.

Pros to 4 piece foil ribbon stuck to packaging tape are SUPERIOR durability and they play lower without audible distortion. Loud too.
Cons are extension into higher range somewhat hampered, and (maybe) less clear, but not enough for me to try to keep .5 um foil in one piece on these things! Those are delicate, to say the least...
Pics of back:

Image
Image

magnets are neodymium N45 BTW...
Please feel free to ask questions or share opinions, I am learning all the time!

paul
Image
"Letting the smoke out of an electronic device is a process which converts a useful piece of equipment into a paper weight."

User avatar
Toy Maker
Puppet Master
Posts: 6804
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2003 1:26 am

Re: Finished my ribbons!

Post by Toy Maker » Sun Jan 25, 2009 3:59 pm

I'd like to hear them... you in FL by chance ?

odd fellow
Newbie
Posts: 21
Joined: Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:09 pm
Contact:

Re: Finished my ribbons!

Post by odd fellow » Sun Jan 25, 2009 5:40 pm

Portland OR.
:)
Image
"Letting the smoke out of an electronic device is a process which converts a useful piece of equipment into a paper weight."

User avatar
Toy Maker
Puppet Master
Posts: 6804
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2003 1:26 am

Re: Finished my ribbons!

Post by Toy Maker » Sun Jan 25, 2009 5:48 pm

Figures :roll:

Post Reply

Return to “Carver Speakers”