FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:44 am

Looking for Chicago Area Speaker Repair

<<

MaddMaxx

Post Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:09 pm

Looking for Chicago Area Speaker Repair

I have owned and loved a pair of Caver Silvers for the last 15 years. Suddenly the left speaker stopped performing. I do not play loud music, I only listen to jazz 50's & 60's. I run the speakers on individual Mono Amps - one per side. Like one other member, I have another listen set-up with Martin Logans for sound. The Martin Logans are great but just are not the same as the Carvers.

The problem with the speak is the only sound it produces is a low dull muffled sound. If I had to guess, I would suspect the ribbon is dead, but I am by no means sure. I need someone (local) that can give me some guidance. I live in Chicago and would like to have them looked at by someone in the area. Do any of you have any advice for me.

Much thanks in advance.

J.
Last edited by MaddMaxx on Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

treitz3

"Julian"
"Julian"

Post Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:53 pm

Re: Looking for Chicago Area Speaker Repair

Welcome to the forum Madmaxx, your local boys just showed up.

Have you tried the obvious yet? Switching L&R IC's leading to the amps to see if the issue follows the IC and checking all connections between the Mono block connected to the muffled speaker in question if the issue doesn't follow the IC's? Does the ribbon on the speaker in question move at all when you power her up and send her a signal at moderate volume?

Last question for now, do you have an ohmmeter or a DVM?
In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to a good analogue reproduction.

Robert R. - "Did you see my North Korea analogy? I should have named it Carversite.kim"
<<

Mr. M-500t

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:56 pm

Theres only 1 maddmaxxx. :lol: :lol: :lol:
<<

treitz3

"Julian"
"Julian"

Post Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:03 am

Who, /mx? This cat has many similarities. I wonder if he rides a ricer motorcycle? :-"

*ducks*

:shock:
In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to a good analogue reproduction.

Robert R. - "Did you see my North Korea analogy? I should have named it Carversite.kim"
<<

F1nut

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:52 am

*ducks*

LOL......
Political Correctness...defined

A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

In a recent press conference, President Obama remarked, "If I had a city, it would look just like Detroit."
<<

BillD

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Location: The west's most mid-western town, Scottsdale, Arizona

Post Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:06 am

I guarantee he's not lurking.
It should sound like it isn't there!
There is a difference between hearing and listening...
Making life enjoyable through expensive electronics.

MaddMaxx

Post Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:24 pm

Thanks for the reply. I have gone through all of the basics, switching the leads from the mono blocks, pulling the clips on the Silvers, pulled the back off the left speaker and checking the wires for fault from the woofers to woofer and on to the ribbon panel, and needless to say, everything is in order. On the surface, I do not see anything out of place. I don't have tools to check the crossover or condition of the ribbon and fear it is one of these two that is the source of my problem. I know there is a guy in Oregon that works on these speakers, but I hate the thought of sending the speaker across the country to evaluate the situation if there is a competent repair place in the Chicago (Midwest) area. Thanks again for the ideas.

J.
<<

OBI56

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:48 pm

MaddMaxx wrote:Thanks for the reply. I have gone through all of the basics, switching the leads from the mono blocks, pulling the clips on the Silvers, pulled the back off the left speaker and checking the wires for fault from the woofers to woofer and on to the ribbon panel, and needless to say, everything is in order. On the surface, I do not see anything out of place. I don't have tools to check the crossover or condition of the ribbon and fear it is one of these two that is the source of my problem. I know there is a guy in Oregon that works on these speakers, but I hate the thought of sending the speaker across the country to evaluate the situation if there is a competent repair place in the Chicago (Midwest) area. Thanks again for the ideas.

J.

MaddMaxx, AFAIK, there is only 1 shop in the USA that services the ribbons and that is CarverAudio in upper NY State in the summer and in Florida in the Winter. There are a few shops in the NW US (Oregon and Washington State) who service the crossovers and the only source for the woofers is in California (Orevox). You can always check out the post in the Repairs forum that lists all known Carver Service shops to see if there is a shop in your area.
Why let facts or common sense get in the way of your opinions.
<<

treitz3

"Julian"
"Julian"

Post Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:25 pm

I didn't quite understand your last post in it's entirety, so work with me here..

Can you verify that the woofers work on both speakers regardless of the amplifier or L & R channel input from the source?

From this we can verify whether it's x-over issue or a ribbon issue with a couple of tests. Wouldn't it be simpler to find out the culprit instead of sending the entire speaker somewhere that is not local? Answer some questions and we will find the issue and then direct you to the best place to get the issue corrected. The woofers, crossovers and the ribbons can all be rebuilt/replaced so you are in good hands. At this point, we are just trying to isolate what is the actual issue. ;)

<<

MaddMaxx

Post Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:24 pm

Again thanks for the reply, I appreciate you working with me on this problem. I agree with you completely, if I can determine where the problem is I can minimize my shipping and repair concerns. What I have done is disconnect the speaker wire at the speaker post and switched the connections left wire reconnected to the right speaker and right to left. The problem in the left speaker continued. I repeated this same process at the mono amps to confirm the same situation, and still no change in the response from the left speaker. The right speaker in each of these changes has performed as advertised, with great sound. I changed the input from the preamp to the mono amps as well as checked different input sources to make sure there was no issue with the signal in the electronics, and the electronics are all good. As a side note, I put my spare Tannoy speaker on the line and everything came through crystal clear. Now, this all being said, the problem is clearly in the speaker.

The performance from the speaker is so weak, it is hard to say yes the woofers are performing at their proper level as there so little sound coming out of the speaker. What little sound that is coming from the speaker is coming from the woofer. If I turn the volume up really high, something I would never do under normal circumstances, I still do not get a clear sound at all. I would expect the woofers to push a lot of air with the volume up, but that is not happening and there is absolutely nothing happening from the ribbon.

J.
<<

DaveS

The OverLord of CarverAudio.com

Post Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:16 pm

Give me a call at 239 772 9341
The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests”.
- Patrick Henry
<<

erniejade1

TFM-35

Post Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:31 pm

I am in the Chicago land area and I do not know of anyone that works on them. If it was an amp, Deltronics works on them but, I don't think they would do the speaker. I say call Dave!!
<<

OBI56

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Thu Jan 29, 2009 5:09 pm

Erniejade, please PM treitz3 with the full co-ordinates so he can add this shop to the known list of Carver repari shops.
Why let facts or common sense get in the way of your opinions.
<<

treitz3

"Julian"
"Julian"

Post Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:26 pm

Thanks to both of you gentlemen. The repair shop thread has been updated, Carver fans that you probably will never see or know about will appreciate this. On their behalf, I'd like to thank you both for the information and your time. \:D/

Maddmaxx, you straight? Sir Dave is the one and only when it comes to ribbons. You need not look elsewhere, for there is no other in the world. You have found him.

Return to Carver Speakers