FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:09 pm

Space for Original Carver Amazings

<<

kwametx

Post Thu Mar 19, 2009 5:56 pm

Space for Original Carver Amazings

Hey guys. I'm new to the forum. I've been trying to suck up all the info I can. This forum is great. Here is my question. I am picking up a pair of the original Carver Amazings this weekend. I'm real excited. I'm getting them to replace my NHT 2.5's hoping they will be the last speakers I will every buy. However I'm wondering if they will be too large for my apartment. My entire apartment is less than 900 sq/ft and my living space where the speakers will go is less than 300 sq/ft. Will the small size of my listening area pose a large problem for the performance of the Amazings?
Attachments
Carver Amazing.jpg
Carver Amazing.jpg (4.51 KiB) Viewed 636 times
<<

megasat16

TFM-25

Post Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:24 pm

Re: Space for Original Carver Amazings

Welcome to Carver Forum where you could find a wealth of info on the Carver stuff.

I have two pairs of Amazing Platinums (upgraded version of Original with 60" Planar Ribbon Driver) and one of them is MKIV version which has adjustable Q value for the woofers.

From my own experiences, the room size of roughly 15'x20' is OK for my Plats. But the speakers need space behind them in order to sound properly due to the Open Baffle / Dipole design of the speaker. I tired different position of speakers in my room and found that minimum of 3' or more is required behind the speakers for the bass to come alive. The best bass can be heard when my speakers are 5' away from the rear walls and toe in about 7-10 degrees inwards.

The placement I said above is very relative to my room and it's not likely to be the same for you. I suggest you to play with placement in your room as with any other speakers. But remember to leave space behind speakers for them to sound optimally.
<<

frankieD

Frankie The Mouth

Post Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:03 pm

Congratulations. They are GREAT speakers. They do like a big room but you will need to experiment with them. I have about 24" behind my ALS Silvers (a litle smaller but still big) and thay sound great.

You can never tell, at last years Carverfest I listened to Skip's Plats. They were set up in an alcove with the outside edges practically touching the walls and only about 24" from the back wall. Still sitting on the couch about 6' from the speakers they were the best system I heard.

Go figure? Of course they were being driven by a variety of EXCELLENT amps. My favorite was the Sunfire 600 x 2 but many people liked the tubes Bob built and raffled off to a lucky forum member.

Anyway, ggod luck & let us know how they turn out.

FrankieD
<<

kwametx

Post Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:25 pm

Thanks for the responses. 600x2 is alot of power. Right now all I have is a Carver m1.0t, soon to be upgraded (hopefully) to mkII. It seems I've read that the life of the ribbons can be prolonged if the crossover settings are changed to 200hz. Is this true? How does it effect the sound?
<<

engtaz

"TAZ"

Post Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:26 pm

Welcome kwametx. They will be very nice. Look at it as big headphones. :lol: :lol: :lol:
engtaz

Carver M4.0T in front channels to Caver AL VI's in SACD & 2 Channel setup
C 16, PT 2400, Slim Device, Carver TX-8, 490T and Rega TT w Grado Gold cart in the 2 channel setup
Bogen SRB20 is computer amp
Carver PM-350 donated for youth church use
<<

OBI56

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:16 pm

Here are the placement instructions from the Original Owners Manual

Amazing Placement.JPG
Amazing Placement.JPG (119.65 KiB) Viewed 613 times

As mentionned here before, the actual placement can vary wildly from room to room, so take those as a starting point and experiment from there.
Why let facts or common sense get in the way of your opinions.
<<

radioeng2

TFM-75

Post Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:07 pm

I've put my big Martin Logan speakers that also have a dipolar pattern and are about the same size, in a small room. It was a place we were at for just a while and I set them up in a small bedroom sized room. While they were still a really good speaker system, they didn't sound as good there as they do in larger rooms. Part of which is the reflecting surfaces are just that much closer. Both in front and behind...all of the reflecting walls really. So I'd say sound treatments get just that much more important!

Volume level and crossover frequencies would effect how much any driver is trying to displace. Some of the ribbon guys here could say more, but I'd think that separating the elements of the ribbon probably could be caused by either way of causing bigger excursion. But Bob will have designed the crossover point to take advantage of the characteristics of both the ribbon and the OB woofers, and unless your pushing the performance envelope, then I wouldn't feel it necessary to alter the original point too much!

Great speakers though!! Congratulations on getting them!!

Mark

Return to Carver Speakers