FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:24 am

Tilt?

<<

Gordon

Post Sat Mar 28, 2009 4:27 pm

Tilt?

OK, here goes my first two newb questions. I've spent the day reading over threads and did not see this mentioned. It appears to me that the speaks are normally tilted back several degrees. Is there a recommendation one way or the other to leave them tilted back or bring them closer to a vertical position?

Secondly, are the crossovers removable to aid in shipping/transport?

Thanks, Gordon
<<

thuffman03

!! CarverFest Evictee !!

Post Sat Mar 28, 2009 4:41 pm

Re: Tilt?

If you are talking about the Amazing speakers yes they have a slight tilt in them. Not sure but I do think that the cross overs are removable but I am not sure how that would help in shipping.
Some cool Carver stuff!
<<

BillD

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Location: The west's most mid-western town, Scottsdale, Arizona

Post Sat Mar 28, 2009 7:14 pm

AL-IIIs have no tilt that I can discern. All the other Amazings have some, IIRC. Many members tilt them more forward for better imaging, but be careful they don't fall on their face.
It should sound like it isn't there!
There is a difference between hearing and listening...
Making life enjoyable through expensive electronics.

Toy Maker

Puppet Master

Post Sat Mar 28, 2009 9:32 pm

Yes, ALL the the Carver ribbon speaker have "some" backward tilt.
It helps raise the soundstage off the floor. I built my custom speakers with 0 tilt,
and Bob and I played around, and found that about the thickness of 1 DVD case sounds best.
I'd say you are looking 3-5 degrees of backward tilt is about right. Play around with it, and you will notice a change.
Whatever you do in life will be insignificant, but it's very important that you do it 'cause nobody else will

‎~You think Einstein walked around thinkin' everyone was a bunch of dumb shits?~

SHUT UP AND ENJOY THE MUSIC!
╭∩╮(︶︿︶)╭∩╮
<<

Reese

TFM-75

Post Sat Mar 28, 2009 10:35 pm

AsI recall, the Amazing Loudspeakers manual says to tape a string with weight off the top rear edge of the speaker frame and adjust the screw/foot adjustable thingies up or down in the flat base support of the speakers so that the string at the bottom hangs at a point approximately 7" from the back edge of the speaker panel - this was the Carver suggested tilt angle for proper delay of high and low frequency delivery to the listening area. (and as ToyMaker says, to raise the sound off the floor - that makes sense, too)
Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought -- JFK

Sunfire Classic Tube Preamp; 2 Carver Silver 7ts, 2 Silver 9ts; bi-amped ALS (Originals upgraded to Platinum), Rane PE15's eq's and Rane AC22 xcrossover; Carver c-19 tube pre;
Carver 390t CD carousel; Carver 490t CD player; BBE 362 Sonic Maximizer; C-9 SH; Sony ES tuner and DAT deck; Sony CD copier/burner; Sony dual cassette deck; TEAC 2340R 4 ch r to r tape deck; Dual CS5000 tt, Shure V15 Type V-MR cartridge
<<

treitz3

"Julian"
"Julian"

Post Sat Mar 28, 2009 11:48 pm

Re: Tilt of Amazings

I have a bit of a different opinion. I would suggest tilting them toward the listening position. I / we have tried this at audio get-togethers and it was approved from many. YMMV. Point the speakers toward the normal listening position as if it were a normal tweeter.

Same positioning for everything else and this will require some special hardware but the end result can be "Amazing".
In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to a good analogue reproduction.

Robert R. - "Did you see my North Korea analogy? I should have named it Carversite.kim"
<<

BillD

Post Sun Mar 29, 2009 2:33 pm

Tom, if it didn't come through, that's what I was trying to say.

TNRabbit

Post Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:11 am

Toy Maker wrote:Yes, ALL the the Carver ribbon speaker have "some" backward tilt.
It helps raise the soundstage off the floor. I built my custom speakers with 0 tilt,
and Bob and I played around, and found that about the thickness of 1 DVD case sounds best.
I'd say you are looking 3-5 degrees of backward tilt is about right. Play around with it, and you will notice a change.

It depends entirely on your listening position height. Play around with it to see what's best for your position/room.
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.
<<

Rainman

SILVER-7t

Post Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:45 am

TNRabbit wrote:It depends entirely on your listening position height. Play around with it to see what's best for your position/room.

Rabbit, don't forget to add what your floor is made from and may or may not have for a floor covering..... :D

Rainman
Question: Do you know why turds are tapered on the ends? Answer: So your asshole doesn't slam shut..

Carver- SDA490t, SDA450, 2 TFM45's, TFM15, CT23, CT28v, CT27v, Linn Kaber speakers, Sunfire crm2's, PS Audio Statement speaker cables and I/C's, A.P.C. power
<<

TNRabbit

Post Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:45 am

Gordon, you need to read "Get Better Sound"....Jag_97470's is passing it around to some forum member's now but you missed out on the deadline...there SO much more to it than tilting your speakers:

http://www.carveraudio.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=131&t=7639&hilit=book
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.
<<

Gordon

Post Wed Apr 01, 2009 5:53 am

I purchased a copy of this book about 4-5 months ago and consider it a must have next to the sweet spot or the porceline throne, depending on where one does their best reading!

I've used several of the tips from that book and some had a big, minor or no impact on my system. The best result for me was moving the rack away from between the speakers and to a side wall. Unfortunately, after about a week of this superior audio set up, the room was functionally unuseable for anything but listening to music. Since it is also the living room, the rack had to go back in the middle with the resultant decline of/in presentation.

It's all good, some are just better than others and can I live with it until the next house gives me my own room!

Gordon
<<

BillD

Post Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:19 am

Tell me. Sometimes aesthetics need to play a role in the trade-offs we make. Otherwise, someone in our lives can make life unbearable.

skip

aka (Sasquach)

Post Wed Apr 01, 2009 3:43 pm

True dat Bill. It's the ONLY reason I parted with my AL-III's.
Sasquatch
TnRabbit's Assistant Official OCCD Enabler.

How long a minute is, depends on what side of the bathroom door you're on.
<<

BillD

Post Wed Apr 01, 2009 4:18 pm

Skip, I threatened mine with Plats, so we settled on AL-IIIs (and shoes and a handbag).

Return to Carver Speakers