FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:52 pm

Which taps?

<<

Gordon

Post Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:21 pm

Which taps?

Folks, please correct me if i'm wrong. From the reading I've done here, it appears to me that the Amazings Platinum are a 6.5 Ohms speaker correct? My amps allow me to choose 2, 4 or 8 ohms. Is this a matter of what sounds best to me or is there hard and fast rule learned from experience to use a particular tap?

Gordon
<<

F1nut

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:05 pm

Re: Which taps?

They are nominal 8 ohm speakers. Use either the 8 or 4, whatever sounds best, but not 2.
Political Correctness...defined

A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

In a recent press conference, President Obama remarked, "If I had a city, it would look just like Detroit."
<<

skip

aka (Sasquach)

Post Thu Apr 02, 2009 6:37 am

Or better yet, power them with a pair of silver 9t blocks and don't worry about ohms ever again. O:) F1 is correct in saying they are rated nominal 8 ohm, the 6.5 figure comes from the total of the woofer and ribbon resistance. The woofers are 4 ohm and the ribbons 2.5-3 ohm.
Sasquatch
TnRabbit's Assistant Official OCCD Enabler.

How long a minute is, depends on what side of the bathroom door you're on.
<<

Gordon

Post Sat Apr 04, 2009 5:19 pm

skip wrote:Or better yet, power them with a pair of silver 9t blocks and don't worry about ohms ever again. O:) F1 is correct in saying they are rated nominal 8 ohm, the 6.5 figure comes from the total of the woofer and ribbon resistance. The woofers are 4 ohm and the ribbons 2.5-3 ohm.

Skip, if my 501's don't have enough grunt to drive these, the Amazings won't be around long! They are measured at 720w at 8 ohms and 1000 at 4 with 100 amps. I know a guy who ran his Silvers off a McIntosh 402 and they did have to work harder (heat) than driving his ML.

We'll see in a couple days!

Gordon

Return to Carver Speakers