FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:18 am

ALS 111+

<<

2-tall

Post Mon May 11, 2009 5:07 pm

ALS 111+

Hi
I am new here.I came over from Club Polk.I just picked up a pair of ALS111+ speakers.Thy may replace my 3.1TL polks.Can anyone give me any information on them, specs ,placement and are there any manuals out there.Are parts available?I will power these using two TFM 24's.

Thanks
<<

frankieD

Frankie The Mouth

Post Mon May 11, 2009 5:22 pm

Re: ALS 111+

Welcome 2-Tall.

Congrats on the speakers.

They like at least 2' behind them and on either side with a slight toe-in.

Someone will post a link to the Carver recommendations but the above is a good start.

They like a lot of power too!

FrankieD
<<

engtaz

"TAZ"

Post Mon May 11, 2009 5:33 pm

Welcome 2-Tall
engtaz

Carver M4.0T in front channels to Caver AL VI's in SACD & 2 Channel setup
C 16, PT 2400, Slim Device, Carver TX-8, 490T and Rega TT w Grado Gold cart in the 2 channel setup
Bogen SRB20 is computer amp
Carver PM-350 donated for youth church use
<<

BillD

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Location: The west's most mid-western town, Scottsdale, Arizona

Post Mon May 11, 2009 6:19 pm

Lotsa power. I have more than 2' behind mine and more than 3' to the side wall, toed in to slightly behind my listening position. I power mine with 4 channels (bi-amping) of a Sunfire 400 ~ seven. In that they are 4 ohm speakers that's 1600 Watts per speaker.
It should sound like it isn't there!
There is a difference between hearing and listening...
Making life enjoyable through expensive electronics.

2-tall

Post Mon May 11, 2009 7:22 pm

I had a slight buzz coming from the top 12" of one.Fortunately one of the guye at Polk gave me the link over here on how to adjust the screws.It is much better.These sat unused in a basement for ten years.It wopuld be great if I can get more info on them.
<<

docadillac

TFM-25

Post Mon May 11, 2009 9:00 pm

Congratulations on buying a fine pair of speakers. They like a lot of power so a good amp will make them sing. Carver amps or even Newer Sunfire amps will drive them the way they were meant to be driven. They are very detailed sounding.
<<

beemers417

!! CarverFest Evictee !!

Post Mon May 11, 2009 10:39 pm

Welcome =D> =D> =D> Nice score.
Gunter the wonder dog is watching you...
<<

2-tall

Post Mon May 11, 2009 11:49 pm

Well after 4 hours of listening I really like the speakers but the bzz inthe top 12" is back and I can't stop it .It is like a very faint sraping sound.Any ideas?
<<

F1nut

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Tue May 12, 2009 1:05 am

Political Correctness...defined

A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

In a recent press conference, President Obama remarked, "If I had a city, it would look just like Detroit."
<<

thuffman03

!! CarverFest Evictee !!

Post Tue May 12, 2009 12:24 pm

2-tall wrote:Well after 4 hours of listening I really like the speakers but the bzz inthe top 12" is back and I can't stop it .It is like a very faint sraping sound.Any ideas?

Welcome to the forum. I have a set of AL III's and love them.

If they were stored in a damp place like a basement there is a compound in the ribbon that sucks up moisture and will cause buzzing. You might need to wait it out if that is the issue. Also you can try tightening up the screws near were the buzzing is coming from. 1/4 or so turn at a time. If that does not fix then it might need to be repaired. ToyMaker and DaveS are the ribbon experts. I would wait and see what they have to say about it.
Some cool Carver stuff!
<<

2-tall

Post Wed May 13, 2009 7:59 am

As I said earlier these were in a basement.I pulled the back felt off because of the musty smell and dried the ribbon.I think this has helped with the buzzing.Question were these designed to be used with out the felt on?
<<

TNRabbit

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Wed May 13, 2009 8:30 am

Bob added the felt to tone down the rear reflections somewhat as they were a little high. It depends on your setup; if you have heavy curtains or a sound-dampened back wall, probably ok with them open. Otherwise, I'd find some more of the same material & put them back as originally set up.
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.
<<

2-tall

Post Wed May 13, 2009 9:53 am

Thanks for the help.I might experiment with some other materials
<<

stevewithrow

SILVER-7t

Post Wed May 13, 2009 5:56 pm

Hi , I had a slight buzzing on my AL-III,s ( just one of em )....I tried this and it worked....

I noticed a slight buzz or resonance on my Platinums' ribbon down in the lower end of the left speaker's ribbon -- but only in a certain frequency, and not on every recording. I had some black soft foam packing material (about 1/2" thick; I cut up s piece into a strip about two inches long by 1/2 " wide, folded it in half vertically so the foam pushed against the magnet sides as it was wedged in against the foil ribbon material from the front -- and I only used it in two of the slots down at the bottom of the ribbon....It seemed to work and not affect the rest of the ribbon at all in sound production -- no damping, just no more buzz. I didn't put this in from behind, but that could be done instead, maybe -- I was just testing out whether it made a difference, and went for the front vs the back since I'd have had to remove the felt baffle covering the back of the ribbon tweeters.

As I said, I read in some prototype test report printed in Stereophile or some magazine, the reviewer/magazine tester inserted some foam padding like this in alternating slots of the ribbon tweeters, causing some improvement in the sound back then. I thought I'd try it to see if it also would stop the occasional rattle in playing back some voice or piano recordings.

I have removed the foam recently and notice no repeat buzzing -- maybe it was just the earlier amplifiers I was using...maybe it was just a recording. I wouldn't rebuild the ribbon tweeters yet for only an occasional distracting buzz, if it can be fixed with no audible difference (to me) in the spectrum of sound from the ribbons.

Let me know if this clears it up for you or just makes it more confusing. I'll be out of touch for a week and a hals starting Wednesday, though.
<<

2-tall

Post Thu May 14, 2009 11:06 am

I tried your idea using some open cell foam 1/4" thick folded in half about 1/2" shorter than the slot.I pressed it in from the back(the felt is off) and the noise is gone.Listening from the front and from the rear I can't hear any sound loss.This seems to be a fix.Thanks

Return to Carver Speakers