FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:42 am

Need Good Advice

<<

Eddie

Eddie The Knife

Post Mon May 18, 2009 5:37 pm

Re: Need Good Advice

Maybe it is just the picture they look like those tamper proof ones!
Good judgment comes from experience,but experience usually comes from bad judgment.

The best thing is to learn from others that have mastered the one thing you need to learn!

I would tell you to go to hell but I already work there and I don't want to see your ugly face every day!
<<

stevewithrow

SILVER-7t

Post Mon May 18, 2009 8:00 pm

I have a chance to buy a set from the original owners . 1000.00...still in NEW condition , no issues ....never hardly been played....as a matter of fact , they look like there right off the show room floor.... :D
<<

Eddie

Eddie The Knife

Post Mon May 18, 2009 9:31 pm

Go for it!
Good judgment comes from experience,but experience usually comes from bad judgment.

The best thing is to learn from others that have mastered the one thing you need to learn!

I would tell you to go to hell but I already work there and I don't want to see your ugly face every day!
<<

Reese

TFM-75

Post Mon May 18, 2009 11:17 pm

stevewithrow wrote:I have a chance to buy a set from the original owners . 1000.00...still in NEW condition , no issues ....never hardly been played....as a matter of fact , they look like there right off the show room floor.... :D

Can you guys ever believe people have had these treasures and never played them or maybe not even broke them in? How did they ever take the step to buy them in the first place? Oh, the unfairness of it all!

Yeah -- get them for $1000!
Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought -- JFK

Sunfire Classic Tube Preamp; 2 Carver Silver 7ts, 2 Silver 9ts; bi-amped ALS (Originals upgraded to Platinum), Rane PE15's eq's and Rane AC22 xcrossover; Carver c-19 tube pre;
Carver 390t CD carousel; Carver 490t CD player; BBE 362 Sonic Maximizer; C-9 SH; Sony ES tuner and DAT deck; Sony CD copier/burner; Sony dual cassette deck; TEAC 2340R 4 ch r to r tape deck; Dual CS5000 tt, Shure V15 Type V-MR cartridge
<<

BillD

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Location: The west's most mid-western town, Scottsdale, Arizona

Post Tue May 19, 2009 9:18 am

Steve, are they plats?
It should sound like it isn't there!
There is a difference between hearing and listening...
Making life enjoyable through expensive electronics.

stevewithrow

SILVER-7t

Post Tue May 19, 2009 10:20 am

BillD wrote:Steve, are they plats?

It was over 6 months ago when I seen them on craigs list....They changed there mind back then , then I get a call and e-mail offering them to me 1 st the other day....I said yes , they where also kind enough to offer me a payment plan being the fact I dont have 1000.00 right up front . I e-mailed them and asked which ones they where , here is the e-mail they sent back....photos tomorrow , and I pick them up on the 30th of this month....I feel truly blessed to have these come my way...

The Carver Amazing Loudspeakers are the first generation speakers with 60" dual ribbons, to 25Hz - referred to as direct drive large area full range ribbons.
They are 56" in height - glossy black lacquer - weight approx. 112 lbs. each with 4 - 12" woofers on each side. (We have the original review in Stereo Review Magazine with the original manual from Carver. They are in original and excellent condition; they have been moved only twice since date of purchase.
<<

engtaz

"TAZ"

Post Tue May 19, 2009 10:52 am

Congrats. Very nice of them to do payment plan. I know how that is sometimes and it's very much appreciated.
engtaz

Carver M4.0T in front channels to Caver AL VI's in SACD & 2 Channel setup
C 16, PT 2400, Slim Device, Carver TX-8, 490T and Rega TT w Grado Gold cart in the 2 channel setup
Bogen SRB20 is computer amp
Carver PM-350 donated for youth church use
<<

Toy Maker

Puppet Master

Post Tue May 19, 2009 11:17 am

stevewithrow wrote:
BillD wrote:Steve, are they plats?

It was over 6 months ago when I seen them on craigs list....They changed there mind back then , then I get a call and e-mail offering them to me 1 st the other day....I said yes , they where also kind enough to offer me a payment plan being the fact I dont have 1000.00 right up front . I e-mailed them and asked which ones they where , here is the e-mail they sent back....photos tomorrow , and I pick them up on the 30th of this month....I feel truly blessed to have these come my way...

The Carver Amazing Loudspeakers are the first generation speakers with 60" dual ribbons, to 25Hz - referred to as direct drive large area full range ribbons.
They are 56" in height - glossy black lacquer - weight approx. 112 lbs. each with 4 - 12" woofers on each side. (We have the original review in Stereo Review Magazine with the original manual from Carver. They are in original and excellent condition; they have been moved only twice since date of purchase.

Double check that info.... Plats and Amazing have 60" ribbons... so the speakers can't be 56" tall... Maybe they are 66" tall ?
Whatever you do in life will be insignificant, but it's very important that you do it... because nobody else will.

‎~You think Einstein walked around thinkin' everyone was a bunch of dumb shits?~

SHUT UP AND ENJOY THE MUSIC!
╭∩╮(︶︿︶)╭∩╮
<<

PDR

TFM-45

Post Tue May 19, 2009 11:36 am

Congrats Steve!!

Sounds like they are talking about the Originals...probably meant 5'-6".
What are you going to drive them with?

After all the crap Art is going through I feel a little guilty, he found a pair in Calgary but was worried about
shipping issues so with his go ahead I bought them from the guy. These are in "new" condition and sound
really great....I just bought a A760-x to drive them.

Better luck Art.....I'm routin for yah.

Perry
<<

TNRabbit

Post Tue May 19, 2009 12:35 pm

Reese wrote:Can you guys ever believe people have had these treasures and never played them or maybe not even broke them in? How did they ever take the step to buy them in the first place? Oh, the unfairness of it all!

When I bought my AL-IIIs for $850 2 years ago, they had about 100 hours total on them...like new!
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.
<<

engtaz

"TAZ"

Post Tue May 19, 2009 12:39 pm

Rub it in why don't you. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
engtaz

Carver M4.0T in front channels to Caver AL VI's in SACD & 2 Channel setup
C 16, PT 2400, Slim Device, Carver TX-8, 490T and Rega TT w Grado Gold cart in the 2 channel setup
Bogen SRB20 is computer amp
Carver PM-350 donated for youth church use
<<

BillD

Location: The west's most mid-western town, Scottsdale, Arizona

Post Tue May 19, 2009 1:11 pm

That remark about 60" DUAL ribbons bothered me a little, too.
It should sound like it isn't there!
There is a difference between hearing and listening...
Making life enjoyable through expensive electronics.

gdb

SILVER-7t

Post Tue May 19, 2009 2:50 pm

If the Xovers are fubar, here's a good set from a member of the forum that I think are priced incredibly low ! ;)

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8615
Last edited by gdb on Tue May 19, 2009 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

tah800

TFM-25

Post Tue May 19, 2009 3:58 pm

Called the guy today and we arrived at the $500 figure. The only problem will probably be the ribbon. I was planning a complete rewire and post replacement anyway. Anythng I would have got out of the states would have added an extra $400 to $500 for shipping and the border. This will give me something to play with. When I'm done I'll have a set of the original and platinum spreakers. Always wanted to know which one of them sounded better. I will also not be afraid to tinker with these as I will have a working set on hand.Thanks for all the advice and especially Dave Sauter who called me and talked with me for close to an hour givng me some great advice on how to proceed. Art
<<

Eddie

Eddie The Knife

Post Tue May 19, 2009 5:53 pm

Art it would be cheaper to call Dave and take a road trip to NY and have him do them up there don't you think? How far are you from the NY boarder?

PreviousNext

Return to Carver Speakers