Dynavox price increase

Carver Speaker Discussions and Questions
docadillac
TFM-25

Dynavox price increase

Post by docadillac » Sat May 23, 2009 11:58 am

I just saw the Carver woofers for both the original and later version amazings on their website for $89.95 each!! This I believe, is a 100% increase over their most recent pricing.

docadillac
TFM-25

Re: Dynavox price increase

Post by docadillac » Sat May 23, 2009 12:00 pm

treitz3
"Julian"
"Julian"

Post by treitz3 » Sat May 23, 2009 12:30 pm

Ouch! ](*,)
In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to a good analogue reproduction.

Reese
TFM-75

Post by Reese » Sat May 23, 2009 1:43 pm

Yeah, I wonder what they'll cost by the time I need/decide to replace my 8 woofers? Ouch, indeed! (Boy that original $25/per looks like fantasy now!)
Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought -- JFK

Sunfire Classic Tube Preamp; 2 Carver Silver 7ts, 2 Silver 9ts; bi-amped ALS (Originals upgraded to Platinum), Rane PE15's eq's and Rane AC22 xcrossover; Carver c-19 tube pre;
Carver 390t CD carousel; Carver 490t CD player; BBE 362 Sonic Maximizer; C-9 SH; Sony ES tuner and DAT deck; Sony CD copier/burner; Sony dual cassette deck; TEAC 2340R 4 ch r to r tape deck; Dual CS5000 tt, Shure V15 Type V-MR cartridge

docadillac
TFM-25

Post by docadillac » Sat May 23, 2009 1:55 pm

treitz3 wrote:Ouch! ](*,)
Yeah that hurts, especially when they were listed at $25 each a while ago.

docadillac
TFM-25

Post by docadillac » Sat May 23, 2009 1:57 pm

Reese wrote:Yeah, I wonder what they'll cost by the time I need/decide to replace my 8 woofers? Ouch, indeed! (Boy that original $25/per looks like fantasy now!)
True and you know what's really strange is that they said they were going to increase the price to $45 each, at least that's what I remember from another post about these earlier this year. 100% increase is just pure gouging IMO.

F1nut
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by F1nut » Sat May 23, 2009 6:19 pm

Ya'll should be thankful they still sell the damn things.
Political Correctness...defined

A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

In a recent press conference, President Obama remarked, "If I had a city, it would look just like Detroit."

treitz3
"Julian"
"Julian"

Post by treitz3 » Sat May 23, 2009 7:49 pm

True 'dat.
In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to a good analogue reproduction.

Eddie
Eddie The Knife

Post by Eddie » Sat May 23, 2009 9:04 pm

Looks like poeple will more then likly start refoaming the woofer now!
Don't waste a good opportunity to shut up!

Good judgment comes from experience, but experience usually comes from bad judgment.

The best thing is to learn from others that have mastered the one thing you need to learn!

I would tell you to go to hell but I already work there and I don't want to see your ugly face every day!

docadillac
TFM-25

Post by docadillac » Sat May 23, 2009 9:39 pm

F1nut wrote:Ya'll should be thankful they still sell the damn things.
On that part F1 nut I agree. My problem is with the fact that they were $45 each only a few months ago. Now they're 89.95. I doubt if the cost of production has risen that much, but yes I'm glad they're still made.

docadillac
TFM-25

Post by docadillac » Sat May 23, 2009 9:41 pm

Eddie wrote:Looks like poeple will more then likly start refoaming the woofer now!

Can the foam surrounds be redone? I don't know but if that were the case it would probably be a cheaper option.

fstik
M-400t CUBE

Post by fstik » Sat May 23, 2009 10:14 pm

What a trip! I"m upgrading my Amazings to Plats... Bought the WP-1220's last year and finally swapped them out. I have 6 good SW-1220FL's that I thought would probably get tossed since the replacements were so cheap! Might be worth throwing on Ebay now \:D/

FSTIK

F1nut
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by F1nut » Sun May 24, 2009 3:12 am

Eddie wrote:Looks like poeple will more then likly start refoaming the woofer now!
I researched the refoaming of the Carver woofers years ago. I found one guy that would do it and he would not guarantee the outcome. Then there's the little problem of the right shape and size foam not being available anywhere at any price. And then there's the little problem with way the surrounds are attached to the cone. It seem that there's a good chance of ripping the paper cone because of the way the surrounds are glued on.

Nope, I do believe refoaming is going to continue to not be an option.
Political Correctness...defined

A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

In a recent press conference, President Obama remarked, "If I had a city, it would look just like Detroit."

docadillac
TFM-25

Post by docadillac » Sun May 24, 2009 12:42 pm

That's not good. I think I was fortunate enough to have some first rate speaker repair guys here in Vancouver. I gave them all the specs of the original woofers and they custom made them using the original frames and magnets. They were not the flat honeycomb design however. They worked perfectly and had an initial frequency resonance of 27hz. If anything there was better reinforcement of the lower bass frequencies.

Magnaryder
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by Magnaryder » Sun May 31, 2009 8:30 pm

docadillac wrote:That's not good. I think I was fortunate enough to have some first rate speaker repair guys here in Vancouver. I gave them all the specs of the original woofers and they custom made them using the original frames and magnets. They were not the flat honeycomb design however. They worked perfectly and had an initial frequency resonance of 27hz. If anything there was better reinforcement of the lower bass frequencies.
That's interesting. Was it a shop that rebuilt guitar/PA speakers?

ray
Magnaryder

Its going to be used equipment when I sell it, so it may as well be used equipment when I buy it.

"Racing is life, the rest of the time you're just sitting around."-Steve McQueen

Return to “Carver Speakers”