FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 5:55 pm

ALS proto types.....

<<

stevewithrow

SILVER-7t

Post Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:41 pm

ALS proto types.....

When I got my ALS,s the other day , the owners bought this mag at the same time they bought the speakers......Interesting....Shows the ALS,s with 6 square subs..I took my grills off , I only have the 4 honey comb ones....Any one ever seen these...?

review 2.jpg
review 2.jpg (62.69 KiB) Viewed 630 times

review 1.jpg
review 1.jpg (116.38 KiB) Viewed 631 times
<<

Magnaryder

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:19 pm

Re: ALS proto types.....

I've seen the advertisement. IIRC, they couldn't make the drivers work properly.

ray
Magnaryder

Its going to be used equipment when I sell it, so it may as well be used equipment when I buy it.

Tim deParavicini's E.A.R. Yoshino V20 Integrated Amplifier, Fosgate Signature Phono pre, Lucas Labs 12B4/OD3 LineStage, No. 50 and 51 Carverfest Tube amps, Hammond M3 tube amp, Ariston RD-40 Turntable w/ Linn Basik LSV tonearn, Grado Statement Master1 cartridge, Carver TX-8 & 11 tuners, Carver TD-12, Tascam CC-222mkII CD recorder, DBX-3BX & 200xg & 120x, CarverAudio ALV prototypes, Alesis Studio One loudspeakers, Energy Reference 22 Connoisseur, Cambridge Audio Model 8s, The Carver Research DarkStar Sub and Stax Earspeakers.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT...helping the blind to hear, one valve at a time
<<

Reese

TFM-75

Post Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:59 pm

Yeah, I have a copy of that ad printed as part of a brochure on Carver ALS's....a very cool look that didn't get translated into the actual production models. (I have a Sony stereo boom box from much later that has small square planar speakers that look similar to the ones in that picture, though).
Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought -- JFK

Sunfire Classic Tube Preamp; 2 Carver Silver 7ts, 2 Silver 9ts; bi-amped ALS (Originals upgraded to Platinum), Rane PE15's eq's and Rane AC22 xcrossover; Carver c-19 tube pre;
Carver 390t CD carousel; Carver 490t CD player; BBE 362 Sonic Maximizer; C-9 SH; Sony ES tuner and DAT deck; Sony CD copier/burner; Sony dual cassette deck; TEAC 2340R 4 ch r to r tape deck; Dual CS5000 tt, Shure V15 Type V-MR cartridge
<<

Magnaryder

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:08 pm

Reese wrote:Yeah, I have a copy of that ad printed as part of a brochure on Carver ALS's....a very cool look that didn't get translated into the actual production models. (I have a Sony stereo boom box from much later that has small square planar speakers that look similar to the ones in that picture, though).

Sony produces square woofers under their Xplod banner, I don't know if they suck or not.

ray
Magnaryder

Its going to be used equipment when I sell it, so it may as well be used equipment when I buy it.

Tim deParavicini's E.A.R. Yoshino V20 Integrated Amplifier, Fosgate Signature Phono pre, Lucas Labs 12B4/OD3 LineStage, No. 50 and 51 Carverfest Tube amps, Hammond M3 tube amp, Ariston RD-40 Turntable w/ Linn Basik LSV tonearn, Grado Statement Master1 cartridge, Carver TX-8 & 11 tuners, Carver TD-12, Tascam CC-222mkII CD recorder, DBX-3BX & 200xg & 120x, CarverAudio ALV prototypes, Alesis Studio One loudspeakers, Energy Reference 22 Connoisseur, Cambridge Audio Model 8s, The Carver Research DarkStar Sub and Stax Earspeakers.

<<

PDR

TFM-45

Post Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:10 pm

Pioneer also made square drivers in a 4-way design for car audio.
<<

stevewithrow

SILVER-7t

Post Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:14 pm

I have a Kicker L5 solo barrick sub in my truck , it,s square and the SPL is unbelievable......
<<

Toy Maker

Puppet Master

Post Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:49 pm

There is an ancient thread on these drivers form a couple years back...

I remember talking to someone at Carver, and they said the corners kept ripping out of the square drivers, so they went back to the round ones.

I have a small 10" Kicker L5 in my office... It's soooo cute !!!!
I was going to use Kicker L7's in my new AL-VI's, but they roll off aroud 100-110Hz, and there is no way to ge them up to the 150HZ crossover point for the ribbons.
So I have to go with a pairs of 12" LJ W7's :shock:
Whatever you do in life will be insignificant, but it's very important that you do it... because nobody else will.

‎~You think Einstein walked around thinkin' everyone was a bunch of dumb shits?~

SHUT UP AND ENJOY THE MUSIC!
╭∩╮(︶︿︶)╭∩╮
<<

TNRabbit

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:26 am

Toy Maker wrote:...So I have to go with a pairs of 12" LJ W7's :shock:

Or JL Audio, even~

Sony DID make some square woofers that were VERY similar to those back in the 80s. I think the issue was that they required such massive excursion (take a look at ALS under full excursion sometime!) the corners hadn't reached today's technology to sustain it.
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.
<<

BillD

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Location: The west's most mid-western town, Scottsdale, Arizona

Post Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:08 pm

I heard that because of the very low mass required for the right Q in that baffle, the material couldn't withstand the stress at the corners and would rip.
It should sound like it isn't there!
There is a difference between hearing and listening...
Making life enjoyable through expensive electronics.

thuffman03

!! CarverFest Evictee !!

Post Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:33 pm

I recently read the Stereo Review arical on them and they looked so cool with the square speakers. Too bad it seems there is an issue.
Some cool Carver stuff!
<<

Magnaryder

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:54 pm

stevewithrow wrote:When I got my ALS,s the other day , the owners bought this mag at the same time they bought the speakers......Interesting....Shows the ALS,s with 6 square subs..I took my grills off , I only have the 4 honey comb ones....Any one ever seen these...?

review 2.jpg

review 1.jpg

Do we have this article anwhere on the Froum? I'd like to read it. Would someone who DOES have it send it to me....PLEASE?

ray
Magnaryder

<<

stevewithrow

SILVER-7t

Post Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:34 am

Magnaryder wrote:
stevewithrow wrote:When I got my ALS,s the other day , the owners bought this mag at the same time they bought the speakers......Interesting....Shows the ALS,s with 6 square subs..I took my grills off , I only have the 4 honey comb ones....Any one ever seen these...?

review 2.jpg

review 1.jpg

Do we have this article anwhere on the Froum? I'd like to read it. Would someone who DOES have it send it to me....PLEASE?

ray

I have the issue , I can see what I can do to scan it,,....
<<

Magnaryder

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:55 pm

stevewithrow wrote:
Magnaryder wrote:

review 2.jpg

review 1.jpg

ray

I have the issue , I can see what I can do to scan it,,....

thanks man!!!

ray
Magnaryder

Return to Carver Speakers