FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:06 am

Crossover Questions

<<

Eddie

Eddie The Knife

Post Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:09 pm

Re: Crossover Questions

PDR wrote:So art has the plats cross-over........right?

As far as I can tell they look like the plat crossovers!
Good judgment comes from experience,but experience usually comes from bad judgment.

The best thing is to learn from others that have mastered the one thing you need to learn!

I would tell you to go to hell but I already work there and I don't want to see your ugly face every day!
<<

tah800

TFM-25

Post Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:13 pm

If we could just go back and read my last post which explains the differences in the 2 crossovers. What I really need is for someone who understands these things to tell me what those differences mean if indeed they mean anything at all.Art
<<

BillD

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Location: The west's most mid-western town, Scottsdale, Arizona

Post Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:32 pm

I wouldn't bother. I think I've got my arms around this. They're all Platinum crossovers to one extent or another.
It should sound like it isn't there!
There is a difference between hearing and listening...
Making life enjoyable through expensive electronics.

skip

aka (Sasquach)

Post Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:20 am

Art, I'm no electronics expert by any means, but my understanding of the caps in x-overs is that the cap rating, usually in uf units, determines the frequency it will pass and the voltage determines how may watts the cap will handle before cooking. In other words, you want the same uf rating when replacing or matching caps, but a higher voltage rating has no affect other than to allow higher wattage to pass through the cap. The schematic for my plat x-overs calls for a 100uf150vnp cap, but they came with a 100uf100vnp cap. This is the one that I've fried two of, and I imagine it's because of the less than specified voltage. It appears to me that there are many x-overs out there that have different componants in them from what the schematics call for. I have schematics of the original, silver and plat x-overs, but nothing on the plat conversion x-over. Don't know if it's different or not. Why not e-mail Rolland and see what he can offer to clear up the matter?
Sasquatch
TnRabbit's Assistant Official OCCD Enabler.

How long a minute is, depends on what side of the bathroom door you're on.
<<

tah800

TFM-25

Post Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:21 am

Sorry, don't know who Rolland is?????????????????
<<

Reese

TFM-75

Post Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:37 am

"Who's on First?" :lol:
Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought -- JFK

Sunfire Classic Tube Preamp; 2 Carver Silver 7ts, 2 Silver 9ts; bi-amped ALS (Originals upgraded to Platinum), Rane PE15's eq's and Rane AC22 xcrossover; Carver c-19 tube pre;
Carver 390t CD carousel; Carver 490t CD player; BBE 362 Sonic Maximizer; C-9 SH; Sony ES tuner and DAT deck; Sony CD copier/burner; Sony dual cassette deck; TEAC 2340R 4 ch r to r tape deck; Dual CS5000 tt, Shure V15 Type V-MR cartridge
<<

skip

aka (Sasquach)

Post Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:15 am

tah800 wrote:Sorry, don't know who Rolland is?????????????????

He's the tech at High Tech Audio in Gresham, Or. that has all of the remaining Carver parts stock. His contact info is here on the site somewhere.
Sasquatch
TnRabbit's Assistant Official OCCD Enabler.

How long a minute is, depends on what side of the bathroom door you're on.
<<

weitrhino

SILVER-7t

Post Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:47 pm

Skip,

Take a look at your schematics and see if any match the part number that shows on my photo. That assumes the schematics you have are scans from Carver manuals.
<<

Eddie

Eddie The Knife

Post Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:44 pm

http://arafel.org/audio/als/amazing_service.pdf

Here is a copy online!

Crossover list!
Originals # 601-00526-00
Originals upgraded #608-00444-00
Platinum # 601-00528-00
Silvers "CT" # 601-00530-00
Silvers "T" #601-00529-00
Last edited by Eddie on Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Good judgment comes from experience,but experience usually comes from bad judgment.

The best thing is to learn from others that have mastered the one thing you need to learn!

I would tell you to go to hell but I already work there and I don't want to see your ugly face every day!
<<

BillD

Post Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:18 pm

Eddie, if you look in the service manual, the crossover part numbers don't match what you have listed above. Moreover, the picture and the schematic don't even closely resemble the parts that are in the service manual. Maybe the picture is of Silver crossovers????

Eddie

Eddie The Knife

Post Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:58 pm

Bill the part numbers are listed in the back of the service manual along with the parts list! Eddie!

<<

PDR

TFM-45

Post Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:03 pm

I have a dumbass question......in the pic of the ALS in the link the woofers are
not honeycomb......these are replacements?? Or did they come with these
at a later date replacing the honeycomb drivers?
Also need to know if the replacements that people are using ...cant remember
the name of the company that offers them.....are like the pic or are they still honeycomb.

thanks
<<

BillD

Post Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:17 pm

Well, now they match. 8)

Perry, there are two types, the honeycomb and the smooth. Different part numbers from OREVOX (Dynavox). You can search on those names. I think the price just went up to $85. Anyway, one of the interesting things I'm trying to discern is whether the platinum and the upgrade from original crossovers are mostly the same (except for one set of binding posts versus two). If so, you could replace (and rewire) the woofers with the smooth ones if you wanted to.

Return to Carver Speakers