FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Sun Oct 26, 2014 4:30 am

Hook up wire

<<

tah800

TFM-25

Post Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:54 am

Hook up wire

I was thinking of using Cardas 9.5 hook up wire for the rewire of my speakers. Just wondering if anybody has any other suggestions for a top quality wire. Art
<<

stereo_buff

TFM-55

Post Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:49 am

Re: Hook up wire

I will be surprised if you're not deluged with suggestions/recommendations, not to mention controversy!
<<

Magnaryder

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:53 pm

You might want to look at the Q&A that we had at CF'08. Bob mentioned the wiring was selected to complement the crossover, and to aid some resistance to the speaker to make the load more manageable.

ray
Magnaryder

Its going to be used equipment when I sell it, so it may as well be used equipment when I buy it.

Tim deParavicini's E.A.R. Yoshino V20 Integrated Amplifier, Fosgate Signature Phono pre, Lucas Labs 12B4/OD3 LineStage, No. 50 and 51 Carverfest Tube amps, Hammond M3 tube amp, Ariston RD-40 Turntable w/ Linn Basik LSV tonearn, Grado Statement Master1 cartridge, Carver TX-8 & 11 tuners, Carver TD-12, Tascam CC-222mkII CD recorder, DBX-3BX & 200xg & 120x, CarverAudio ALV prototypes, Alesis Studio One loudspeakers, Energy Reference 22 Connoisseur, Cambridge Audio Model 8s, The Carver Research DarkStar Sub and Stax Earspeakers.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT...helping the blind to hear, one valve at a time
<<

tah800

TFM-25

Post Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:15 pm

Not to question a guy like that but I rewired my Carver Originals with Cardas 11.5 which we doubled because we thought it was still a bit thin. The improvement in bass was really outstanding. If you look carefullyat the wire on the woofers it is a silver color. I think it's aluminum. Ireally believe they used the cheaper wire to keep the cost of that speaker down. Not to say that they didn't sound great at the 2200 dollar price tag. I opened one of my Martin Logan speakers and I can tell you there is a huge difference in the quality of components but then again there is a big difference in the price. I still think the Carvers are just as good at half the price. I don't thinkBobCarver would come right out andsay he used cheap components to keep the price down. If you look at thebinding posts on those speakers the are amazingly poor. If he told me they were chosen to complement something else on the speaker I'm not sure I'd be ready to go along with it. You can buy the little plastic terminal cup with the posts included for under 4 bucks a piece on parts connection.
<<

Jag_97470

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:17 pm

I would love to have the Cardas Golden Reference, but a little to costly for me. Yes, there will be a lot of suggestions, I am currently going with Kimber Kable as they seem pretty good at a reasonable cost. Others will offer MIT, PSAudio, White Zombie, and on and on. It all depends on what sounds good to you. Good luck!
<<

BillD

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Location: The west's most mid-western town, Scottsdale, Arizona

Post Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:29 pm

Ahem, have you looked at the hookup wire in the rest of your components? It's like hooking 1" pipe to a ¼" feed. The flow rate has already been impeded upstream.
It should sound like it isn't there!
There is a difference between hearing and listening...
Making life enjoyable through expensive electronics.

F1nut

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:37 pm

I rewired my Plat's with Cardas 11.5, but did feel the need to double it up. Regardless, the improvement in bass response was nothing short of thunderous.

Art, the original wire is tinned copper.

Ray, I've got a bridge to sell you...LOL

Jag, we're talking about chassis wire, not speaker cable.
Political Correctness...defined

A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

In a recent press conference, President Obama remarked, "If I had a city, it would look just like Detroit."
<<

Jag_97470

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:54 pm

F1nut wrote:

Oh yeah, sorry, It's been a long day!
<<

F1nut

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:56 pm

I heard that. 8)

A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

In a recent press conference, President Obama remarked, "If I had a city, it would look just like Detroit."
<<

Magnaryder

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:58 pm

F1nut wrote:I rewired my Plat's with Cardas 11.5, but did feel the need to double it up. Regardless, the improvement in bass response was nothing short of thunderous.

Art, the original wire is tinned copper.

Ray, I've got a bridge to sell you...LOL

Is it the one James built last year? Jesse you crack me up....bwaaahahahahaha. I might try it when my other amp gets here. Bass is already thunderous, Marcia is driving!!!

ray
Magnaryder

Its going to be used equipment when I sell it, so it may as well be used equipment when I buy it.

Tim deParavicini's E.A.R. Yoshino V20 Integrated Amplifier, Fosgate Signature Phono pre, Lucas Labs 12B4/OD3 LineStage, No. 50 and 51 Carverfest Tube amps, Hammond M3 tube amp, Ariston RD-40 Turntable w/ Linn Basik LSV tonearn, Grado Statement Master1 cartridge, Carver TX-8 & 11 tuners, Carver TD-12, Tascam CC-222mkII CD recorder, DBX-3BX & 200xg & 120x, CarverAudio ALV prototypes, Alesis Studio One loudspeakers, Energy Reference 22 Connoisseur, Cambridge Audio Model 8s, The Carver Research DarkStar Sub and Stax Earspeakers.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT...helping the blind to hear, one valve at a time
<<

tah800

TFM-25

Post Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:20 pm

Speaking of speaker wire. When the guy finished the rewire we ran out of the Cardas 11.5. We still had the section from the crossover to the new Cardas Binding posts. The guy who never did think I had gotten wire thick enough goes out back and gets this big thick piece of Monster Cable. It's the one with the clear plastic coating and procedes to solder this huge chunk of stuff to the crossover and then to the binding posts. Next time I have them apart I'll have to include a picture of it. I first thought oh my God but then I began to think I've got the old Monster M1 speaker cable running to the binding posts which is about half an inch thick why not just continue it into another heavy wire. I've often thought why not just chop off the speaker cable terminations and solder it right on to the crossover. Yah right hell of a thing to take aprt when you want to move or have the speakers out for repair. I've often wondered with all these things you use like spades and and plug ins what happens to the quality of signal getting to your speakers. For example here is your mighty Carver binding post which is carrying your 550 watts per side signal to your speakers
New speaker Problems 012.jpg
New speaker Problems 012.jpg (856.26 KiB) Viewed 678 times
<<

frankieD

Frankie The Mouth

Post Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:19 am

tah800 wrote:Not to question a guy like that but I rewired my Carver Originals with Cardas 11.5 which we doubled because we thought it was still a bit thin. The improvement in bass was really outstanding. If you look carefullyat the wire on the woofers it is a silver color. I think it's aluminum. Ireally believe they used the cheaper wire to keep the cost of that speaker down. Not to say that they didn't sound great at the 2200 dollar price tag. I opened one of my Martin Logan speakers and I can tell you there is a huge difference in the quality of components but then again there is a big difference in the price. I still think the Carvers are just as good at half the price. I don't thinkBobCarver would come right out andsay he used cheap components to keep the price down. If you look at thebinding posts on those speakers the are amazingly poor. If he told me they were chosen to complement something else on the speaker I'm not sure I'd be ready to go along with it. You can buy the little plastic terminal cup with the posts included for under 4 bucks a piece on parts connection.

Just to clarify a common misconception about the ALS woofer wires.

I was present when F1nut & Bob Carver discussed the "thin" wires.

Jesse told Bob he had re-wired the woofers & improved the bass. Bob responded that the wires were not used to save money. When he designed the circuit he considered the entire circuit. If the "thin" wires offerd a resistance this was compenstated for with a different value resistor in the crossover. In other word (i'm paraphrasing) If 10 ohms was called for & the wire offered 2 then an 8 ohm resistor was used. Changing the wire will change the sound and Bob was clear "If you like the difference then fine, but it (the sound) is not what the designer intended."

Cost was not the reason.
<<

F1nut

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:07 am

Magnaryder wrote:
Is it the one James built last year?

LOL......that's a good one.

<<

F1nut

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:08 am

Art, can you please shrink that pic.

<<

radioeng2

SILVER-7t

Post Thu Jun 11, 2009 5:51 am

Of course the Cardas is a litz wire design. Each strand insulated from the others. This is the way to do wire.

Whereas the Monster is just shit wire. As the strands corrode over time, then you have a poor junction between each and every other wire that touches another. Or, in other words...a poor diode junction!

Just something to think about....
Next

Return to Carver Speakers