FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:21 am

Hook up wire

<<

tah800

TFM-25

Post Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:45 am

Re: Hook up wire

I think when you take the back off and look at the workmanship there things were designed to be cost effective. The crossover built on a little chunk of what we used to call beaverboard. Cheap little binding posts 3.49 each. Woofers that used to sell for about $25 bucks a piece. The ribbons are a chunk of gold or silver paper with a couple of strips of aluminum foil stuck to them with some litte magnets glued to metal on either side of them. Now don't get me wrong to take all this inexpensive stuff and come up with something that good is a real stoke of genius. This guy is truly a master at what he does. He's enabled us to own something that is rivaled only by speakers in the 8 to 10 grand range for around 2500 when they were new.I would love to have something like Martin Logan Summit speakers as my last hurrah. But at over 10 grand a pop i'm willing to bet there isn't that much difference(certainly not money wise) in those and my good old Carvers.I just can't get my head around the idea that you can get enough power to those woofers with those little skinny wires. It's kind of like trying to run your 15amp skil saw using one of those little thin extension cords. Let's face it Carver is in the business of selling product. He's not going to get up there and say I made this speaker with a lot of cheap components. I'm willing to bet that if he made those things with top of the line stuff they would have been around 10 grand and there would not have been that many produced. I certainly wouldn't have owned one. He made the Silver 7 tube amps at 24 grand a piece. Not many of those around. he made the silver 9t's at around 2 grand and everybody could own one. I'm willing to bet there isn't 20 grand difference in the sound. I really belive the speakers allow us the opportunity to improve. I'm willing to bet that if someone could build a high quality crossover that that would even further improve them. Anyway I'm a complete dummy when it come to all these stats and electronic jargon but I do know what sounds good. Those changes I made in my Original speakers made them sound better especially the bass. Art
<<

TNRabbit

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:02 am

Art, talk to Jesse about the mods he made to his Amazings....
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.
<<

frankieD

Frankie The Mouth

Post Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:29 am

Art, try to come to the Fest this year. You will have a great time & when you meet Bob you will understand. He has no pretension about him, very down to earth.

Of course the ALS were built with cost in mind but not at the expense of sound. A super-duper board to mount the crossovers on would cost more but not change the sound a bit.

The "cheap" woofers for another example. They were so bad that the manufacturuer didn't want to make them for Bob. It turns out that the design of them was necessary to work properly in the open baffle (something about "Q") and heavy duty woofers with big magnets would NOT have worked in that design.

I was going to re-wire my Silvers until the Fest, after that I came home & "listened" to them. The bass is excellent. I've decided to leave them alone.

BTW (sorry Dreamer) there was a set of Martin Logans there and they couldn't touch the ALS. Not even close.

Just my .02
<<

Magnaryder

SILVER-7t

Post Fri Jun 12, 2009 5:11 pm

radioeng2 wrote:Of course the Cardas is a litz wire design. Whereas the Monster is just shit wire. .

ShitWire is my cable company. All of my cables come from there and I can't hear the difference. Bwaaahahahaha kidding Marc.

ray
Magnaryder

Its going to be used equipment when I sell it, so it may as well be used equipment when I buy it.

Tim deParavicini's E.A.R. Yoshino V20 Integrated Amplifier, Fosgate Signature Phono pre, No. 50 and 51 Carverfest Tube amps, Hammond M3 tube amp, Ariston RD-40 Turntable w/ Linn Basik LSV tonearn, Grado Statement Master1 cartridge, Cardas Silver wire service and wire block, Carver TX-8 & 11 tuners, Carver TD-12 & 1700 decks, Tascam CC-222mkII CD recorder, Carver HR-742 reciever, DBX-3BX & 200xg & 120x, CarverAudio ALV prototypes, Alesis Studio One loudspeakers, Dahlquist DQ-8s, The Carver Research DarkStar Sub and Stax Earspeakers.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT...helping the blind to hear, one valve at a time
<<

Rainman

SILVER-7t

Post Sat Jun 13, 2009 3:31 am

Remember what Mr. Carver told us at Carverfest....... He said you can most certainly change or swap any and all of your hook up wire with the wire of your choice and the "high buck" wire or "$hit" wire you choose will definitely change the sound presented to you. Hopefully it will sound the way you want it to, and if it does that's great I'm happy. The bottom line is whatever your results may be are not what I originally intended, but if you like it that's great!" That may not be exact word for word, but it's pretty darn close. Mr. Carver expressed the same feelings regarding speaker cable. He said that the "big daddy" cable will definitely have the least effect on the signal while on it's way to the speakers, but many types of speakers were not originally intended to be hooked to almost zero loss cables and in some cases may not sound so good. Then there is the other side of the coin..... and that was as far as that went.....

Rainman
Question: Do you know why turds are tapered on the ends? Answer: So your asshole doesn't slam shut..

Carver- SDA490t, SDA450, 2 TFM45's, TFM15, CT23, CT28v, CT27v, Linn Kaber speakers, Sunfire crm2's, PS Audio Statement speaker cables and I/C's, A.P.C. power
<<

Zoot Horn

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Sat Jun 13, 2009 5:05 am

That is a very fair and accurate acessment of what he said at last years CF. =D>
<<

gdb

SILVER-7t

Post Sat Jun 13, 2009 5:20 am

I sure would like to view the Q&A video from CFest 08 !! :-"
<<

tah800

TFM-25

Post Sat Jun 13, 2009 6:23 am

So getting back to my original question about a good type of wire to use in a refit my impression would be that very few people have done it or those who have didn't find that it did much good anyway. Guess I'll stick with the Cardas then.P.S. I wonder what Bob's answer would have been if you had asked him about the binding posts. Do you think he tested 10 different models and come up with those ones??????????Art
<<

Zoot Horn

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Sat Jun 13, 2009 6:29 am

I never got around to changing the binding posts on mine,,,but why do'nt you pm jesse---F-1,,, I'm sure that he can point you in the right direction.
<<

gdb

SILVER-7t

Post Sat Jun 13, 2009 7:00 am

Back to the topic at hand....a couple of Polk people used silver wire inside (don't recall what gauge), and reported great results for not too large of a cash outlay. What seemed odd to me was that they retained the blade connectors instead of soldering directly to the various terminals, I'd think that you'd want to eliminate all those potential corrosion spots. Then again... WTF do I know !! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
<<

F1nut

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Sat Jun 13, 2009 11:33 am

Those binding posts are crap. I had to change mine before I could even listen to them because they would not accept the banana plugs or spades on my MIT speaker cables. I went with Cardas posts, problem solved.

What seemed odd to me was that they retained the blade connectors instead of soldering directly to the various terminals, I'd think that you'd want to eliminate all those potential corrosion spots.

IIRC, the stock chassis wire was soldered to the terminals. When I upgraded to Cardas chassis wire, I soldered all the connections. However, if one where to use spade connectors, a treatment with DeOxit and ProGold will prevent any issues down the road.

those who have didn't find that it did much good anyway.

It made a huge improvement to my ears.
Political Correctness...defined

A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

In a recent press conference, President Obama remarked, "If I had a city, it would look just like Detroit."
Previous

Return to Carver Speakers