FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:53 am

Carver AL 3 refinishing

<<

Magnaryder

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:15 pm

Re: Carver AL 3 refinishing

TNRabbit wrote:In that case, I say he should sand them down really fine then paint them Ferrari Yellow~

:lol: :lol: :lol:

damn, that might just be cool!!1

ray
Magnaryder

Its going to be used equipment when I sell it, so it may as well be used equipment when I buy it.

Tim deParavicini's E.A.R. Yoshino V20 Integrated Amplifier, Fosgate Signature Phono pre, Lucas Labs 12B4/OD3 LineStage, No. 50 and 51 Carverfest Tube amps, Hammond M3 tube amp, Ariston RD-40 Turntable w/ Linn Basik LSV tonearn, Grado Statement Master1 cartridge, Carver TX-8 & 11 tuners, Carver TD-12, Tascam CC-222mkII CD recorder, DBX-3BX & 200xg & 120x, CarverAudio ALV prototypes, Alesis Studio One loudspeakers, Energy Reference 22 Connoisseur, Cambridge Audio Model 8s, The Carver Research DarkStar Sub and Stax Earspeakers.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT...helping the blind to hear, one valve at a time
<<

sheltie dave

Post Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:55 pm

If they stay black, unfortunately they will not be staying in our house. At six feet tall, they have to match the floor or they are gone. :-&
<<

stevewithrow

SILVER-7t

Post Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:07 pm

There Carvers , paint the floor black....!!!!!
<<

Magnaryder

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:18 pm

sheltie dave wrote:If they stay black, unfortunately they will not be staying in our house. At six feet tall, they have to match the floor or they are gone. :-&

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: who wears the pants you or the dogs? sorry.... kidding...sorta...

Why didn't you buy something that matched your decor to start with?

Would have been easier and prolly save some $$$$$

ray
Magnaryder

Its going to be used equipment when I sell it, so it may as well be used equipment when I buy it.

Tim deParavicini's E.A.R. Yoshino V20 Integrated Amplifier, Fosgate Signature Phono pre, Lucas Labs 12B4/OD3 LineStage, No. 50 and 51 Carverfest Tube amps, Hammond M3 tube amp, Ariston RD-40 Turntable w/ Linn Basik LSV tonearn, Grado Statement Master1 cartridge, Carver TX-8 & 11 tuners, Carver TD-12, Tascam CC-222mkII CD recorder, DBX-3BX & 200xg & 120x, CarverAudio ALV prototypes, Alesis Studio One loudspeakers, Energy Reference 22 Connoisseur, Cambridge Audio Model 8s, The Carver Research DarkStar Sub and Stax Earspeakers.

<<

F1nut

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:53 pm

TNRabbit wrote:In that case, I say he should sand them down really fine then paint them Ferrari Yellow~

Hehe......
Political Correctness...defined

A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

In a recent press conference, President Obama remarked, "If I had a city, it would look just like Detroit."
<<

sheltie dave

Post Wed Jun 17, 2009 5:36 am

Let's see, with the Dahlquist Dq10s, Thiel 3.6s, JBL Sovereign IIs, Frazier MK VIs, Altec VOTTs, Valencias, Klipsch Cornwalls, KHorns X2, four sets of ARs, EV Georgians, Karlson 15, and then the ones I don't remember right now, my coconuts have been dragging in the dust for a while. :lol:

However, the living room is my wife's domain, and I'll do whatever she wants in certain areas to keep her happy. That old quid pro quo goes a long ways, fellas. I restore vintage furniture on the side, so I would much prefer a little hard work to getting rid of my first Carvers. Besides, black ALs DO NOT go well in a vintage 1950's house, no matter where they get dumped. Restored to a glorious antique oak, they can go in the living room. How would you choose?
<<

Toy Maker

Puppet Master

Post Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:41 am

Just sand them down. It's paint, not stain.
I can take my fingernail, and run it up the face, and scrape the paint right off...
I did it by accident once :?

I plan on repainting mine as well... I might go with my metalic BMW gun metal gray color, and make some black fabric socks for the ribbons. (the foam inserts suck)
I don't really like the wood grain pattern anyway. Some nice high build PPG primer will take care of that 8)
Whatever you do in life will be insignificant, but it's very important that you do it... because nobody else will.

‎~You think Einstein walked around thinkin' everyone was a bunch of dumb shits?~

SHUT UP AND ENJOY THE MUSIC!
╭∩╮(︶︿︶)╭∩╮
<<

Reese

TFM-75

Post Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:30 am

stevewithrow wrote:There Carvers , paint the floor black....!!!!!

Now THIS is the best idea yet!!!!! \:D/ \:D/ \:D/
Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought -- JFK

Sunfire Classic Tube Preamp; 2 Carver Silver 7ts, 2 Silver 9ts; bi-amped ALS (Originals upgraded to Platinum), Rane PE15's eq's and Rane AC22 xcrossover; Carver c-19 tube pre;
Carver 390t CD carousel; Carver 490t CD player; BBE 362 Sonic Maximizer; C-9 SH; Sony ES tuner and DAT deck; Sony CD copier/burner; Sony dual cassette deck; TEAC 2340R 4 ch r to r tape deck; Dual CS5000 tt, Shure V15 Type V-MR cartridge
<<

engtaz

"TAZ"

Post Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:49 am

Toy Maker wrote:Just sand them down. It's paint, not stain.
I can take my fingernail, and run it up the face, and scrape the paint right off...
I did it by accident once :?

I plan on repainting mine as well... I might go with my metalic BMW gun metal gray color, and make some black fabric socks for the ribbons. (the foam inserts suck)
I don't really like the wood grain pattern anyway. Some nice high build PPG primer will take care of that 8)

:( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(
engtaz

Carver M4.0T in front channels to Caver AL VI's in SACD & 2 Channel setup
C 16, PT 2400, Slim Device, Carver TX-8, 490T and Rega TT w Grado Gold cart in the 2 channel setup
Bogen SRB20 is computer amp
Carver PM-350 donated for youth church use
<<

Magnaryder

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Wed Jun 17, 2009 4:32 pm

medium oak would look ok if the finish comes off like TM suggests. refinish as you need to appease the bosslady. gotta have tunes!

ray
Magnaryder

<<

sheltie dave

Post Sat Jun 20, 2009 6:41 am

Will a Carver M1.5t or The Receiver 2000 be able to drive these well? I have heard some people say they need more current than the magnetic field amps like to serve as these speakers dip toward 2 ohms.
<<

TNRabbit

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Sat Jun 20, 2009 7:28 am

The AL-IIIs are pretty much a 4 ohm load. The M1.5t will drive them fine, but the receiver may not have enough juice; it depends on your listening preferences. The receiver would be able to drive them, but when I say not enough juice, I'm dubious about them being able to supply sufficient current/power to really drive the AL-IIIs at higher volume levels.

MOST people don't realize their full potential because they don't supply enough current. However, if you never turn your music up very loud, you'd never notice the difference. So it depends mostly on your preferences for how loud you play them...
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.
Previous

Return to Carver Speakers