FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:25 am

How to tell version of Amazing and perform initial test?

<<

vette45

Post Sun Jun 21, 2009 8:21 pm

How to tell version of Amazing and perform initial test?

I'll be getting a pair of Amazing from someone local soon. Can someone please tell me a easy way to figure out which version (original, silver, platinum, MKIV)? And if there has been upgrade like Platinum on top of original or after market ribbon replacement, how can I tell?

Also, I would like to run a complete test on them to make sure the ribbon drivers, woofers, and crossovers are all in working order. Can someone please teach me the proper procedure for testing each of this component?

Thanks.
<<

Magnaryder

SILVER-7t

Post Sun Jun 21, 2009 9:22 pm

Re: How to tell version of Amazing and perform initial test?

vette45 wrote:I'll be getting a pair of Amazing from someone local soon. Can someone please tell me a easy way to figure out which version (original, silver, platinum, MKIV)? And if there has been upgrade like Platinum on top of original or after market ribbon replacement, how can I tell?

Also, I would like to run a complete test on them to make sure the ribbon drivers, woofers, and crossovers are all in working order. Can someone please teach me the proper procedure for testing each of this component?

Thanks.

original-pair of 30" ribbons
Silvers 48" ribbon
plats-60" ribbon
Magnaryder

Its going to be used equipment when I sell it, so it may as well be used equipment when I buy it.

Tim deParavicini's E.A.R. Yoshino V20 Integrated Amplifier, Fosgate Signature Phono pre, No. 50 and 51 Carverfest Tube amps, Hammond M3 tube amp, Ariston RD-40 Turntable w/ Linn Basik LSV tonearn, Grado Statement Master1 cartridge, Cardas Silver wire service and wire block, Carver TX-8 & 11 tuners, Carver TD-12 & 1700 decks, Tascam CC-222mkII CD recorder, Carver HR-742 reciever, DBX-3BX & 200xg & 120x, CarverAudio ALV prototypes, Alesis Studio One loudspeakers, Dahlquist DQ-8s, The Carver Research DarkStar Sub and Stax Earspeakers.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT...helping the blind to hear, one valve at a time
<<

BillD

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Location: The west's most mid-western town, Scottsdale, Arizona

Post Sun Jun 21, 2009 9:27 pm

Upgraded originals -> plats have honeycomb woofers with the 60" ribbon. Never been a 60" aftermarket ribbon (48" from BG exists, however - the length of the Silver/AL-III ribbon).
It should sound like it isn't there!
There is a difference between hearing and listening...
Making life enjoyable through expensive electronics.

stevewithrow

SILVER-7t

Post Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:31 am

BillD wrote:Upgraded originals -> plats have honeycomb woofers with the 60" ribbon. Never been a 60" aftermarket ribbon (48" from BG exists, however - the length of the Silver/AL-III ribbon).

Hey Bill , doesn't the upgrades change the woofers and the cross overs...?...
<<

Reese

TFM-75

Post Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:34 am

So congratulations!

And to continue with addressing your other questions:

1.The Platinums (not upgraded Originals with a substituted 60" ribbon in place of two 30" ribbons per speaker) came with cone woofers, not the planar-faced woofers. Upraded Originals like mine still have the honeycomb planar woofers, but the crossovers were switched out with the upgrade kit from Carver. The question still remains on these forums as to what exactly the crossover changes were/what the components of the crossovers were compared to the Originals (and if the cone woofer crossovers are different from the upgrade kit's crossovers for the honeycomb planar woofers, etc.).

2. How to test? Electronically/instrument testing: That I'll leave to more expert members here to advise. Otherwise, sonically, I think you'll be wise to take along some recorded piano music to listen for ribbon rattle or buzzing in the worst cases or maybe just some intrusive harmonics/overtones from treble piano tones. I'd play bass-heavy music, drums, etc. to see if all the woofers are working (although there's some out-of-phase issues in the woofer set-up in the Originals vs. Platinums, I believe -- so all four may not sound like they're putting out music, perhaps). I'd listen to wide dynamic/frequency range music of different sorts (if you have it) to listen for clean playback throughout the audible range....good clean highs, sweet and clear, outstanding mid-range (female vocals, most popular music), great bass presence. Of course, whatever is powering the Amazings will make a huge difference, and if the person you're getting them from has an underpowered amp system or if you can't bring along a powerful stereo amp, you'll not be testing out the speakers to their optimum anyway.

3. You should definitely have the owner remove front and rear speaker covers/grills so you can inspect the woofers for surround rot, any damage, etc. For ribbon condition, look for any tears or rips, maybe visible breaks in the "electronic traces" on the Kaptan foil material, dislodged individual magnets (although in the Platinum 60" ribbons, the magnetic plate is one continuous piece, not several smaller pieces).

Good luck on getting a wonderful audio landmark!

(PS Did I forget anything, guys, or state something incorrectly?)
Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought -- JFK

Sunfire Classic Tube Preamp; 2 Carver Silver 7ts, 2 Silver 9ts; bi-amped ALS (Originals upgraded to Platinum), Rane PE15's eq's and Rane AC22 xcrossover; Carver c-19 tube pre;
Carver 390t CD carousel; Carver 490t CD player; BBE 362 Sonic Maximizer; C-9 SH; Sony ES tuner and DAT deck; Sony CD copier/burner; Sony dual cassette deck; TEAC 2340R 4 ch r to r tape deck; Dual CS5000 tt, Shure V15 Type V-MR cartridge
<<

vette45

Post Tue Jun 23, 2009 4:10 pm

Wow! Thanks for all the informative replies. You guys are trully amazing about the Amazing!

I picked up the speakers last night. It's shinny black with 1x60" full length ribbon, 4xpaper cone woofers, and 1 pair of input post with 3 POTS adjusters on each. So I guess this would make them the Amazing Platinum MKIV edition, right?

Here's the bad news, the surrounding black suspension on 2 of the woofers of the left spk have completely rotted out, the black rim fell off as pieces when we remove the front grill. I touched the rest and they are still there but maybe not for long. Right speakers' woofers seem to be in slightly better shape but the most bottom one also seems questionable. Question: 1. Do I have to replace all 4 or even 8 of them at once? 2. Can I put the Original Amazing honeycomb style woofer on these instead of the platinum paper cone? (BTW, which type is better in terms of sound? For some reason, the original's give me the impression that they are more robust; is that true?)

Here's really bad news. So after I took them home, I immediately tried them out with my Carver TFM35 with Celine Dion's A Brand New Day in Blu-ray. The sound is trully amazing coming from the right speaker which seems to be working ok with just a intermitent small buzz coming from the lower portion of the ribbon and only at high volume. The big problem is there is nothing coming out at all from the left speaker ribbon. I could hear some low volume coming from the top 2 woofers (those that are still marginally intact) and of course nothing is expected from the bottom two as mentioned. I've visually inspected the left ribbon element carefully. There seems to be no big crack/gap through the entire length. The only concern I noticed is a small <1/4" round indentation on the silver portion of the ribbon near the top (Please refer to the attached pictures). And there are lots of dust, spiders webs on the ribbon, especially near the very bottom since the previous owner has these in the garage for last . Questions: 1. Can someone please help me with a step by step troubleshoot of what is wrong with the left ribbon/speaker? 2. Since there is some sound coming from the woofer, can I assume the crossover is working? Or are there other test for that? 3. How can I isolate the test for just the ribbon element?

Please help so I can restore these to full working order and experience the true amazing sound.

Thanks,
Wilkie
Attachments
IMGP2882a.jpg
IMGP2882a.jpg (716.04 KiB) Viewed 760 times
IMGP2873a.jpg
IMGP2873a.jpg (842.49 KiB) Viewed 760 times
<<

beemers417

!! CarverFest Evictee !!

Post Tue Jun 23, 2009 4:27 pm

What woofers do you have in your set.
Gunter the wonder dog is watching you...
<<

vette45

Post Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:45 pm

beemers417,

I have the paper cone style woofers on mine.
<<

TNRabbit

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:21 pm

I hope you didn't give too much for those...

That ribbons needs rebuilding.
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.

Return to Carver Speakers