FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:22 am

Nordost Frey speaker Cable

<<

tah800

TFM-25

Post Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:12 am

Nordost Frey speaker Cable

Just found out about a guy living in Toronto who handles Nordost audio cable. Would certainly cut out the hassles at the border. I wonder if anyone out there has used the Nordost line. It's a bit pricey so I was wondering what your opinions on it might be. Thxs Art
<<

F1nut

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Sun Jul 12, 2009 12:08 pm

Re: Nordost Frey speaker Cable

I tried some of their IC's years back. Thin sound and lacked bass. I can't say about their speaker cables.
Political Correctness...defined

A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

In a recent press conference, President Obama remarked, "If I had a city, it would look just like Detroit."
<<

elgrau

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Sun Jul 12, 2009 1:02 pm

I have Nordost Solar Winds (via Dreamer) for my DIY spherical (ala EPI drivers) speakers. I luv their full sound. Full bass; detailed everywhere. Not sure how much this is due to the Nordost's and how much due to "other" things (better room acoustics, Rollandized "perfected" tfm-42, etc., etc.). But this system (in my living room) is rapidly becoming my "place of choice" for listening (even tho the epi 1000's in my family room system are "technically" better sounding and more "precise". etc.). In any case I'm not letting go of the Solar Winds!
Family room: 400 disk changer with PS Audio Digital Link III DAC; Technics SL-1100A TT. QED Quenx1 IC's from DAC & TT to Adcom GTP-602 preamp/Tuner. AudioQuest King Cobra IC's from preamp to M1.0t mk-II opt2. QED Silver Spirals 4M wires to EPI 1000’s.
Living room: AudioQuest Black Mamba 8M IC's from family room preamp to Barcus-Berry 2002R Sonic Maximizer to GlowPower Zyxt IC's to Sunfire 300x2 to Nordost 6M bi-source wires to AOS 28" MDF spherical speakers using six 8" woofers and eight 1" dome tweeters symm. arranged around the surface.
SS system: CX-995V DVD to AV-705x 5 channel amp (center/rears) & M1.0t mk-II opt2(fronts).
Garage: TLM-3600 CDP to MXR150 Receiver (pre) to TFM-42 to EPI 400 speakers.
<<

Dreamer

SILVER-7t

Post Sun Jul 12, 2009 2:19 pm

I used to have Nordost Solar Winds (sold them to "elgrau", and I'm really missing them!). They went between my Carver Silver 7t monoblocks and my Martin Logan Sequels. They were the best-sounding speaker cables I've ever had in my system--better than anything by AudioQuest, and beat out MITs and Transparents in their price-range, and just left anything by Monster in the dust.

I'll hopefully be replacing them soon with an upgraded pair of Nordosts--Red Dawns. I LOVE the sound of Nordost speaker cables with my Carver amps and Martin Logan speakers. No other cable, in my experience, has the level of tight bass, transparency, and midrange clarity...

--Richard
.....HT Rig • Sony STR-DG600 Receiver • Carver M-500t • Sony BDP-S1 • Sony DVP-NS3100ES • Apple Airport Express •
..............................• Martin Logan Scenarios, Logos • Realistic Minimus 7's • Velodyne F-1500b •

2 Ch. Rig • Carver C-4000t • Silver 7t's • Krell KAV-300i • Oppo DV-981HD • Benchmark DAC1-USB • MacBook Pro 17", iTunes •
......• Technics SL-1350 turntable with Sumiko headshell, leads, and Bluepoint cartridge • Martin Logan Sequels •

.........................................................-+-Click Here to see my system-+-
<<

tah800

TFM-25

Post Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:40 am

I was thinking of starting with the Frey line first. Anything above that gets really crazy. There is a guy on Toronto named Humbert Chu. He seems to have a lot of the better Nordost and Cardas lines. He's not a dealer but sells a lot of stuff with wrap on it but no boxes or manuals. Claims to get them through a contact in the states. He goes under the name of videosonic. He's on audiogon and his feedback is impeccable. Over 365 positive sales. You can checkout item 1251241154 to see one of his products. It would be great to have someone here in Canada with top notch stuff. I don't think this guy would wreck that feedback record by selling bogus stuff. If there are any Canadians here who have heard of this guy I'd apprreciate a heads up concerning his reputation. Thxs Art

Return to Carver Speakers