FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:58 am

Minimum Watts required

<<

Jag_97470

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:28 pm

Re: Minimum Watts required

If your considering the 300X2, check this out! Is it worth the money he is asking?? I don't know. AudioGon Bluebook says used @ $840.00 and something strange; AudioGon list the 300 @ 300 watts and the 300-2 @ 300 watts? Is this offering on AudioGon correct saying 325 watts? It states 300 series II? I'm confused? haha

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl? ... ad-Invaria
<<

TNRabbit

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Thu Aug 06, 2009 5:32 am

treitz3 wrote:Watts are overrated. A high current amplifier that is capable of handling a low ohm load will properly power those speakers. FYI, there are not many amps out there that will do them true justice at all volume levels. Out of the Carver lineup amps I have heard with these speakers, only the 9t [7t would be about the same, just never heard one paired up with these speakers] and the Lightstar amps made these speakers sing.

As far as Sunfire, the 300 x 2 would be a good choice as well. I haven't heard that amp, but I did have a chance to hear a 300 x 7 at CF and it had plenty of juice to make them sing.

Another amp that you may consider would be one of the tube amps that Bob is currently building. Out of all of the aforementioned amps, the tube amps would be my choice. Why? I love the sound of tubes, YMMV. Hope this helps.

Tom, what you heard was the 400x7. :D

And the 600x2 will drive a low ohm load, just not at it's RATED power. Bob said you can only get so much from an outlet, so they had to limit the amount of current available at a particular ohm load. For example, the 600x2 WILL output 600 watts into 8 ohms, and 1200 into 4 ohms, but the laws of physics dictate it won't be able to keep that doubling of output power due to an 1800 watt max draw (fused) from a 15 amp circuit. So the 600x2 WILL power a low-ohm load just like the 300x2, but it won't continue doubling into the halved load because it's physically impossible from a standard circuit. That's what Bob meant when he said it wasn'thappy driving loads below 4 ohms.

I wonder if it's possible the signature model would go further on a 30 amp circuit if the fuse size was increased....??? Maybe someone could ask Bob about that.... :D
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.
<<

stevewithrow

SILVER-7t

Post Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:52 am

TNRabbit wrote:
treitz3 wrote:Watts are overrated. A high current amplifier that is capable of handling a low ohm load will properly power those speakers. FYI, there are not many amps out there that will do them true justice at all volume levels. Out of the Carver lineup amps I have heard with these speakers, only the 9t [7t would be about the same, just never heard one paired up with these speakers] and the Lightstar amps made these speakers sing.

As far as Sunfire, the 300 x 2 would be a good choice as well. I haven't heard that amp, but I did have a chance to hear a 300 x 7 at CF and it had plenty of juice to make them sing.

Another amp that you may consider would be one of the tube amps that Bob is currently building. Out of all of the aforementioned amps, the tube amps would be my choice. Why? I love the sound of tubes, YMMV. Hope this helps.

Tom, what you heard was the 400x7. :D

And the 600x2 will drive a low ohm load, just not at it's RATED power. Bob said you can only get so much from an outlet, so they had to limit the amount of current available at a particular ohm load. For example, the 600x2 WILL output 600 watts into 8 ohms, and 1200 into 4 ohms, but the laws of physics dictate it won't be able to keep that doubling of output power due to an 1800 watt max draw (fused) from a 15 amp circuit. So the 600x2 WILL power a low-ohm load just like the 300x2, but it won't continue doubling into the halved load because it's physically impossible from a standard circuit. That's what Bob meant when he said it wasn'thappy driving loads below 4 ohms.

I wonder if it's possible the signature model would go further on a 30 amp circuit if the fuse size was increased....??? Maybe someone could ask Bob about that.... :D

Great question Gary,,,Run a dedicated isolated ground back to the panel ( # 10 wire )...30 amp single pull breaker,,,....Ohm,s law tells me ( with the 80 % rule ) max watts drawn from the breaker would be 2880...3600 watts with out the 80% rule....
<<

treitz3

"Julian"
"Julian"

Post Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:16 pm

TNRabbit wrote:Tom, what you heard was the 400x7. :D

Crap. I stand erected. Thanks for clarifying Gary.
In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to a good analogue reproduction.

Robert R. - "Did you see my North Korea analogy? I should have named it Carversite.kim"
Previous

Return to Carver Speakers