FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:01 am

Smoked the crossover on the originals! I think

<<

erniejade1

TFM-35

Post Sun Aug 09, 2009 10:29 am

Smoked the crossover on the originals! I think

Here's the story. I was playing Pink Floyd Welcome to the Machine. The beginning part and kind of going between the Polk 1.2's and the original amazings Especially on the beginning part. MAN If you have not heard this kicked up OMG! So I was just checking to see what system would it sound better on the 1.2's on the McIntosh or the Amazing on the sunfire sig II 625 X2. Checked it out on the 1.2's first. Talk about feeling it in your chest damm.
Then the amazing.... About 30 seconds in, BOTH speakers went out and I could smell a terrible metal burning smell on the right side. Ran and turned it all off. ( this was last night and this AM I can still smell it ) The amp is fine. I hooked it up to my 2.3's and it ran them perfect.

SOOOO on the left side, I replaced the fuse and it came back to life. No funny smell on the left only the right. Because the smell is soo nasty right now, it is hard for me to tell where it is coming from but, I think it is the crossover toward the top. I was playing them for about an hour with the Beatles Love cd ( again if you have not heard this, go get it!)

I have not taken them apart yet.
Questions, WHY? Why WHY WHY. Why would the crossover smoke like that? It was loud but no where near what I was doing to the polks believe me! No warning, no fatigue sound, no thing just that nasty smell. You figure the speakers I thought were rated in the 1000 watt range and driving them with the 625 should not have killed them? ! I was playing them 2x louder actually with the Beatles then the Floyd that smoked them.. Granted the bass on Welcome to the Machine is a killer but dammmmm!!!!

How do I make sure there is no damage to the ribbons?

How after it is fixed do I make sure this does not happen again?

Any advice?
<<

thuffman03

!! CarverFest Evictee !!

Post Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:18 am

Re: Smoked the crossover on the originals! I think

Same thing happened to Beemers MKIV's. We were killing fuses and the cross overs were burning. We think there is some glue or coating somewere that was melting off. It now has stopped, no more fuse issues and sounds great. I think it might be a break in issue.
Some cool Carver stuff!
<<

erniejade1

TFM-35

Post Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:55 am

Do you know if he had to so anything to it? it smells horrible! Bruning metal smell.

Break in? should be broken in LOL I have had them for about 1.5 years now. This is no where near as loud as I have played them in the past or even just 30 min prior to this happening.
<<

Zoot Horn

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Sun Aug 09, 2009 2:05 pm

Can you get anything from the right speaker?
<<

beemers417

!! CarverFest Evictee !!

Post Sun Aug 09, 2009 4:05 pm

625 watts in a 4 or 8 ohm load? I believe the originals are 4 ohm. You may have been pumping over 1000w into them with the Sunfire. You better check your crossover. Ribbons are more than likely fine.
Gunter the wonder dog is watching you...
<<

Magnaryder

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Sun Aug 09, 2009 7:16 pm

beemers417 wrote:625 watts in a 4 or 8 ohm load? I believe the originals are 4 ohm. You may have been pumping over 1000w into them with the Sunfire. You better check your crossover. Ribbons are more than likely fine.

IIRC someone had a set of original xovers for sale on another thread. Look around.

ray
Magnaryder

Its going to be used equipment when I sell it, so it may as well be used equipment when I buy it.

Tim deParavicini's E.A.R. Yoshino V20 Integrated Amplifier, Fosgate Signature Phono pre, Lucas Labs 12B4/OD3 LineStage, No. 50 and 51 Carverfest Tube amps, Hammond M3 tube amp, Ariston RD-40 Turntable w/ Linn Basik LSV tonearn, Grado Statement Master1 cartridge, Carver TX-8 & 11 tuners, Carver TD-12, Tascam CC-222mkII CD recorder, DBX-3BX & 200xg & 120x, CarverAudio ALV prototypes, Alesis Studio One loudspeakers, Energy Reference 22 Connoisseur, Cambridge Audio Model 8s, The Carver Research DarkStar Sub and Stax Earspeakers.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT...helping the blind to hear, one valve at a time
<<

erniejade1

TFM-35

Post Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:18 pm

I have not tried to change the fuse in the right one because the top of the speaker smells sooo bad. If this is what is going to happen with the original crossovers,,,, I think i want a upgrade ! LOL.

I have to still take them appart. The smell is worse around the top of the crossover area.
<<

F1nut

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Sun Aug 09, 2009 10:49 pm

Your crossovers have caps, resistors and inductors. You have either cooked one or more caps and/or one or more resistors. You should have no problem seeing the damage once you get in there.
Political Correctness...defined

A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

In a recent press conference, President Obama remarked, "If I had a city, it would look just like Detroit."
<<

Zoot Horn

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:13 am

Magnaryder wrote:
beemers417 wrote:625 watts in a 4 or 8 ohm load? I believe the originals are 4 ohm. You may have been pumping over 1000w into them with the Sunfire. You better check your crossover. Ribbons are more than likely fine.

IIRC someone had a set of original xovers for sale on another thread. Look around.

ray

Those were mine,, and they were sold. Good luck ,,let us know what you find when you open them up.
<<

skip

aka (Sasquach)

Post Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:45 am

I've toasted two caps in my plat xovers. It's an easy fix. When caps get old, they are prone to fry.
Sasquatch
TnRabbit's Assistant Official OCCD Enabler.

How long a minute is, depends on what side of the bathroom door you're on.
<<

gdb

SILVER-7t

Post Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:56 pm

There are some supposedly NOS Platinum crossovers on eprey right now, might be a quick solution to your problem. ;)

http://cgi.ebay.com/CARVER-Vintage-UPGR ... 286.c0.m14
<<

erniejade1

TFM-35

Post Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:47 am

I don't think I can use the plat. crossover on the originals..? i have the 2 30" ribbons not the 60". Is there a different crossover point in the plat versions?
<<

gdb

SILVER-7t

Post Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:18 pm

erniej, I'm sorry but I honestly don't know anything about AL speakers except that I've read about them being modded and upgraded extensively. I just thought that a brand new set of crossovers would be a possible fix for yours, or, a first step in an upgrade project. Hopefully someone who knows will be able to tell you whether those will work for you! :)
<<

skip

aka (Sasquach)

Post Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:17 am

erniejade1 wrote:I don't think I can use the plat. crossover on the originals..? i have the 2 30" ribbons not the 60". Is there a different crossover point in the plat versions?

Yes, the plat x-overs are different from the originals.
Sasquatch
TnRabbit's Assistant Official OCCD Enabler.

How long a minute is, depends on what side of the bathroom door you're on.
<<

F1nut

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Sat Aug 29, 2009 1:38 pm

Any update, Ernie?
Political Correctness...defined

A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

In a recent press conference, President Obama remarked, "If I had a city, it would look just like Detroit."
Next

Return to Carver Speakers