FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:29 am

Smoked the crossover on the originals! I think

<<

erniejade1

TFM-35

Post Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:58 pm

Re: Smoked the crossover on the originals! I think

Sorry it's been a little bit since this post. I finally got around to taking them apart last night. .... Ok When this happened, the smell came from the top center... Where the woofer mag. is. The smell was so strong that you could smell it up stairs. I put a different fuse in it and it still would not work...

Well... Weird. .. Last night I put another fuse in there again.. It works... No smell and sounds the same. I am not sure what happened..... I dont think the fuse would produce that big of a smell...? the crossover is located at the bottom of the speakers and there are no burn marks on them. ?? I am clueless on what happened..
<<

BillD

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Location: The west's most mid-western town, Scottsdale, Arizona

Post Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:27 pm

Yeah, I'm real curious. Usually caps have a musty smell when they go. Metallic sounds more like resistors (or ribbons).
It should sound like it isn't there!
There is a difference between hearing and listening...
Making life enjoyable through expensive electronics.

kingman

Post Mon Nov 30, 2009 5:48 pm

????????????????????????????????????????????? :-k :-k :-k
In reality, it only matters what it sounds like to YOU!!!
<<

erniejade1

TFM-35

Post Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:59 pm

It did smell bad. The entire house including up stairs stunk like burning metal! Now it did blow the fuse at that time and i did replace the fuse ( unless it was a bad fuse that I replace it with) and i did not get any sound. So when I took them appart .. nothing in the crossover looked burnt. Different fuse and it came to life.. Now it did blow both fuses when it happened but the burning smell was only out of one. The first thing I thought was the ribbon also but no marks on it or anything ! Sounds just like the left one. This one has me baffled!

I tried it again last night with some Dave Brubeck time out LP. No problem. I tried some piano and was listening for buzzing and I did not hear any. This one is strange!!
<<

skip

aka (Sasquach)

Post Wed Dec 02, 2009 7:58 am

Check the caps. I have Plats that have smoked two caps. The vinyl cover overheats and splits and the hot cap smoked and smelled like burnt insulation. The speakers still worked at lower volumns before the caps overheated again, then I'd lose some of the signal. Never blew fuses though. It is a strange one.
Sasquatch
TnRabbit's Assistant Official OCCD Enabler.

How long a minute is, depends on what side of the bathroom door you're on.
<<

erniejade1

TFM-35

Post Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:44 pm

I have a spare rane ac22. I should start looking into changing the crossover out. man that means I would need another amp though...
<<

weitrhino

SILVER-7t

Post Mon Dec 07, 2009 5:07 pm

My beef with Rane is everything is made with balanced XLR connections and all my equipment is unbalanced RCA. I wish there was another option as affordable as the AC22.
<<

BillD

Location: The west's most mid-western town, Scottsdale, Arizona

Post Mon Dec 07, 2009 5:29 pm

The AC22 (non-B) will take either balanced or unbalanced inputs, and only outputs unbalanced (single-ended). Granted, you have to use ¼" phone jacks. I use mono jacks with female RCA connector ends.
It should sound like it isn't there!
There is a difference between hearing and listening...
Making life enjoyable through expensive electronics.

erniejade1

TFM-35

Post Mon Dec 07, 2009 5:58 pm

I would 1st need a 2nd amp. My other 2 amps are NOT strong enough for the originals.

The sunfire does have XLR on it soo... I would need a rca to XLR to go from the c-19 to the rane but from the rane to the sunfire i could keep it xlr

I think BBE might make a unit that takes RCA for a crossover. I would have to look.
Previous

Return to Carver Speakers