It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:05 am

Originals on the way

<<

BrianT

Pair of Silver Sevens

Post Wed Aug 12, 2009 5:53 pm

Originals on the way

I managed to pick up a set of Originals. Should have them in a week or so,
they are being shipped from Texas to Ottawa, Canada.

I have been reading post about a Plat upgrade

Can somebody fill me in, what is involved and cost.

Brian
VPI Classic Turntable (blk)
Transfiguration Phoenix Cartridge
Sunfire Vacuum Tube Control Centre. C/W Mod'ed Phono Stage
Carver Silver 7's Tube Amps
Raysonic CD-168 CDP (silver)
Carver TX11.
B&W 802D's Rosenut
<<

Toy Maker

Puppet Master

Post Wed Aug 12, 2009 5:58 pm

Re: Originals on the way

It's something Carver Corp. used to do... The original ALS have (2) 30" ribbon drivers per side... the "upgrade" is for a single 60" ribbon, that replaces the 2-30".
Problem is, no one is still making the crossover upgrades you will need to do the full upgrade.
Maybe someone on the forum that knows alot about the crossovers will chime in, and lend a hand.

Also, try Rolland, I know he has rebuilt the crossovers for others, he has the specs, I would think he could to the upgrade as well.

Get some BIG amps... you're going to need them :D

Let the OCCD begin !!!! :lol:
Mandatory Reading: viewtopic.php?f=41&t=3446
Whatever you do in life will be insignificant, but it's very important that you do it... because nobody else will.

‎~You think Einstein walked around thinkin' everyone was a bunch of dumb shits?~

SHUT UP AND ENJOY THE MUSIC!
╭∩╮(︶︿︶)╭∩╮
<<

Zoot Horn

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Wed Aug 12, 2009 6:13 pm

Congrats,,, get some really BIG amps =D>
<<

engtaz

"TAZ"

Post Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:05 pm

Congrats
engtaz

Carver M4.0T in front channels to Caver AL VI's in SACD & 2 Channel setup
C 16, PT 2400, Slim Device, Carver TX-8, 490T and Rega TT w Grado Gold cart in the 2 channel setup
Bogen SRB20 is computer amp
Carver PM-350 donated for youth church use
<<

TNRabbit

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:48 pm

He has a Sunfire 300x2 amp; the Originals will STILL give it a workout~
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.
<<

beemers417

!! CarverFest Evictee !!

Post Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:54 pm

HUGE AMPS!!!
Gunter the wonder dog is watching you...
<<

BrianT

Pair of Silver Sevens

Post Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:04 pm

Toy Maker wrote:It's something Carver Corp. used to do... The original ALS have (2) 30" ribbon drivers per side... the "upgrade" is for a single 60" ribbon, that replaces the 2-30".
Problem is, no one is still making the crossover upgrades you will need to do the full upgrade.
Maybe someone on the forum that knows alot about the crossovers will chime in, and lend a hand.

Also, try Rolland, I know he has rebuilt the crossovers for others, he has the specs, I would think he could to the upgrade as well.

Mandatory Reading: http://www.carveraudio.com/phpBB3/viewt ... =41&t=3446

James,

If I read this correct, you say that the single 60" ribbons are still available but the crossovers are hard to find.

Could I use an active crossover and bi-amp?

What is the cost of the 60" ribbons?

Brian
Carver TX11.
B&W 802D's Rosenut
<<

Toy Maker

Puppet Master

Post Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:17 pm

If you have the $$ and or the extra amps... Bi-amping is the way to go !!!!
Those of us who have done it, sware by it... anyone that says any different, just hasn't done it yet. :lol:
Yes, you can bi-amp the originals, and it's pretty easy. Get a good 2-way crossover, and a good 31-band Eq, and you're good to go.

We offer (BRAND NEW) 48" and 60" (Carver) OEM ribbon drivers.
I have all of Carver's OEM ribbon driver stock.
These ribbons are 100% OEM replacements to the originals, and come with a 90 day CarverAudio warranty.
60" Platinum Ribbon Driver $700 ea. or $1400 pr. + s/h
Whatever you do in life will be insignificant, but it's very important that you do it... because nobody else will.

‎~You think Einstein walked around thinkin' everyone was a bunch of dumb shits?~

SHUT UP AND ENJOY THE MUSIC!
╭∩╮(︶︿︶)╭∩╮
<<

Reese

TFM-75

Post Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:56 pm

BrianT wrote:
Toy Maker wrote:It's something Carver Corp. used to do... The original ALS have (2) 30" ribbon drivers per side... the "upgrade" is for a single 60" ribbon, that replaces the 2-30".

Mandatory Reading: viewtopic.php?f=41&t=3446

James,

If I read this correct, you say that the single 60" ribbons are still available but the crossovers are hard to find.

Could I use an active crossover and bi-amp?

What is the cost of the 60" ribbons?

Brian

Brian, I just finished that kind of project (with the major help from Bill D from Scottsdale AZ) using an active crossover/twin parametric equalizers and two additional Silver 7ts monoblock amps to bi-amp my Amazing Originals which were upgraded in 1994-95 with the 60" ribbons from Carver Corp (still in business at the time) to replace the two 30" ribbons in each speaker. As ToyMaker says, the accompanying internal crossover supplied with the upgrade isn't commercially available any longer to my knowledge. I'm not sure if you could just do the same sort of crossover removal for the existing one in the Originals you're getting, and then go active external crossover and equalizers and not replace the four 30" ribbons with two 60" ribbons. I mean, the difference in internal crossovers would be irrelevant if you use an external crossover, wouldn't it? (showing my ignorance probably, but it would seem to me to make sense)

That still leaves the 4 ohm load of the Originals, though, instead of the steadier 6 or 8 ohm load from the 60" ribbons.

In any case, you're gonna be blown away by the Amazings, I'm sure!

Reese
Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought -- JFK

Sunfire Classic Tube Preamp; 2 Carver Silver 7ts, 2 Silver 9ts; bi-amped ALS (Originals upgraded to Platinum), Rane PE15's eq's and Rane AC22 xcrossover; Carver c-19 tube pre;
Carver 390t CD carousel; Carver 490t CD player; BBE 362 Sonic Maximizer; C-9 SH; Sony ES tuner and DAT deck; Sony CD copier/burner; Sony dual cassette deck; TEAC 2340R 4 ch r to r tape deck; Dual CS5000 tt, Shure V15 Type V-MR cartridge
<<

BrianT

Pair of Silver Sevens

Post Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:32 am

Toy Maker wrote:If you have the $$ and or the extra amps... Bi-amping is the way to go !!!!
Those of us who have done it, sware by it... anyone that says any different, just hasn't done it yet. :lol:
Yes, you can bi-amp the originals, and it's pretty easy. Get a good 2-way crossover, and a good 31-band Eq, and you're good to go.

We offer (BRAND NEW) 48" and 60" (Carver) OEM ribbon drivers.
I have all of Carver's OEM ribbon driver stock.
These ribbons are 100% OEM replacements to the originals, and come with a 90 day CarverAudio warranty.
60" Platinum Ribbon Driver $700 ea. or $1400 pr. + s/h

James.

Yes I will be looking for an 2rd amp Sunfire 300 x 2 or Sunfire 425 x 5 and remove the crossover from the originals.

What would you recommend as a Active crossover and why would I need to use a 31 band Eq.

As for new 60" ribbons, as long as the old 2 x 30" are in good shape the only advantage of changing them
would be go get a more stable load for the amp.
If I rember correctly the 2 x 300' ribbons drop down to 2 ohms, as where the 60" ribbon are prety stable at 6 ohms.
The lower Ohms of the 2x 30" should not be a problem for any of the Sunfire amps.

The cost of the new 60" is out of my price range at the moment.

chow Brian.
Carver TX11.
B&W 802D's Rosenut
<<

erniejade1

TFM-35

Post Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:55 am

Just wanted to say congrats and wanted to suscribe to this thread .. Wanted to see why the EQ was needed.

Return to Carver Speakers