FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 4:51 am

New surrounds for Plats and Silvers woofers!

<<

Eddie

Eddie The Knife

Post Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:14 am

New surrounds for Plats and Silvers woofers!

Hey guys I just want to let you guys know I am working hard on a little project to see if I can get a company here in the USA to make surrounds for the woofers in the Plats and Silvers! I am looking for a close to factory replacement as posible with the added tech to make them last longer! This is a hard one because the specks on the woofer are out of the norm and made in china. I have a refoamer calling a company to see if we can have them made up and he will sell them to us and use them to repair the woofer we send him for the people that do not want to get their hands dirty! What ever info I get or if I get anything before CF09 I will bring with me! Eddie!
Good judgment comes from experience,but experience usually comes from bad judgment.

The best thing is to learn from others that have mastered the one thing you need to learn!

I would tell you to go to hell but I already work there and I don't want to see your ugly face every day!
<<

Eddie

Eddie The Knife

Post Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:17 am

Re: New surrounds for Plats and Silvers woofers!

You can put me down for 8 of them!
Good judgment comes from experience,but experience usually comes from bad judgment.

The best thing is to learn from others that have mastered the one thing you need to learn!

I would tell you to go to hell but I already work there and I don't want to see your ugly face every day!
<<

Eddie

Eddie The Knife

Post Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:43 am

Does anyone have an Plat woofer they don't need laying around that does not work I am looking for one to use as a test speaker for a new surround? Eddie!

<<

Magnaryder

SILVER-7t

Post Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:28 pm

damn good idea
Magnaryder

Its going to be used equipment when I sell it, so it may as well be used equipment when I buy it.

Tim deParavicini's E.A.R. Yoshino V20 Integrated Amplifier, Fosgate Signature Phono pre, No. 50 and 51 Carverfest Tube amps, Hammond M3 tube amp, Ariston RD-40 Turntable w/ Linn Basik LSV tonearn, Grado Statement Master1 cartridge, Cardas Silver wire service and wire block, Carver TX-8 & 11 tuners, Carver TD-12 & 1700 decks, Tascam CC-222mkII CD recorder, Carver HR-742 reciever, DBX-3BX & 200xg & 120x, CarverAudio ALV prototypes, Alesis Studio One loudspeakers, Dahlquist DQ-8s, The Carver Research DarkStar Sub and Stax Earspeakers.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT...helping the blind to hear, one valve at a time
<<

beemers417

!! CarverFest Evictee !!

Post Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:35 am

I can use about 20 right now. The AR surrounds just don't cut it.
Gunter the wonder dog is watching you...
<<

Magnaryder

SILVER-7t

Post Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:42 pm

Eddie wrote:Does anyone have an Plat woofer they don't need laying around that does not work I am looking for one to use as a test speaker for a new surround? Eddie!

Will a Silver driver work?

ray
Magnaryder

Its going to be used equipment when I sell it, so it may as well be used equipment when I buy it.

Tim deParavicini's E.A.R. Yoshino V20 Integrated Amplifier, Fosgate Signature Phono pre, No. 50 and 51 Carverfest Tube amps, Hammond M3 tube amp, Ariston RD-40 Turntable w/ Linn Basik LSV tonearn, Grado Statement Master1 cartridge, Cardas Silver wire service and wire block, Carver TX-8 & 11 tuners, Carver TD-12 & 1700 decks, Tascam CC-222mkII CD recorder, Carver HR-742 reciever, DBX-3BX & 200xg & 120x, CarverAudio ALV prototypes, Alesis Studio One loudspeakers, Dahlquist DQ-8s, The Carver Research DarkStar Sub and Stax Earspeakers.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT...helping the blind to hear, one valve at a time
<<

F1nut

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:46 pm

One possible fly in the ointment. I have been told by someone in the know that because the foam surrounds are glued to the very thin paper cone that the risk of tearing the paper when trying to remove the foam/glue is very high.

One would also need a jig to align the cone and voice coil to prevent rubbing.
Political Correctness...defined

A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

In a recent press conference, President Obama remarked, "If I had a city, it would look just like Detroit."
<<

skip

aka (Sasquach)

Post Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:09 am

Wouldn't it work OK to just glue the new surround on top of the old one that is glued to the cone rather than trying to remove it?
Sasquatch
TnRabbit's Assistant Official OCCD Enabler.

How long a minute is, depends on what side of the bathroom door you're on.
<<

TNRabbit

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:43 am

I'd get a new razor blade & carefully trim it off before I tried that, skip.
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.
<<

beemers417

!! CarverFest Evictee !!

Post Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:17 am

It would be necessary to remove all of the old suround. It would not take long for failure. Patience is key in this process.
Gunter the wonder dog is watching you...
<<

Eddie

Eddie The Knife

Post Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:01 pm

The surround on my woofers are falling off by themself all I have to do is rub the cone and they are clean for the most part! As far as the voice coil all you need to do is remove the dust cap and use shims to line it up! Eddie!

<<

erniejade1

TFM-35

Post Fri Aug 21, 2009 1:33 pm

f1 is right on with having a shim or something in the center to prevent coil rub. It is easy to get it out of line and you wont know till it is too late. i have done some infinity ones and learned my lesson fast. I had to redo them. The next few sets all went smooth though lol. You do have to remove the old stuff or the glue will not stick properly.

Return to Carver Speakers