FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:54 pm

Need advice ! Carver Cinema series with lightstar amp

<<

CARVER5.2

Post Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:02 pm

Need advice ! Carver Cinema series with lightstar amp

Ok so I am an old user that I couldn't renew my password to the new forum since it has been over 3 years since I logged in. So here is my question....

The carver cinema series 5.2 has a lightstar amp built into the center speaker and has 2 4 ohm subs built into the towers. I just recently acquired a very nice passive subwoofer made by NHT. The subwoofer is 8 ohm and the wattage matches up. The lightstar amp will not turn on unless both subwoofers are hooked up. So can I hook up one tower sub (4 ohm) and the NHT (8 ohm) to the lightstar amp and not hurt anything? I would think it is ok since the ohms are higher and shouldn't put a larger strain on the amp. But the part that makes me worried is that the amp will turn on with both hooked up so that makes me think there is some unusual wiring in the amp. Tell me what you think!
<<

Magnaryder

SILVER-7t

Post Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:17 pm

Re: Need advice ! Carver Cinema series with lightstar amp

CARVER5.2 wrote:Ok so I am an old user that I couldn't renew my password to the new forum since it has been over 3 years since I logged in. So here is my question....

The carver cinema series 5.2 has a lightstar amp built into the center speaker and has 2 4 ohm subs built into the towers. I just recently acquired a very nice passive subwoofer made by NHT. The subwoofer is 8 ohm and the wattage matches up. The lightstar amp will not turn on unless both subwoofers are hooked up. So can I hook up one tower sub (4 ohm) and the NHT (8 ohm) to the lightstar amp and not hurt anything? I would think it is ok since the ohms are higher and shouldn't put a larger strain on the amp. But the part that makes me worried is that the amp will turn on with both hooked up so that makes me think there is some unusual wiring in the amp. Tell me what you think!

My understanding is the 5.2 cinema systems worked pretty well as a package. I don't think I'd mix woofer impedences. I doubt the woofers have the same Q, sensitivity, etc. But then again, YMMV.

ray

ray
Magnaryder

Its going to be used equipment when I sell it, so it may as well be used equipment when I buy it.

Tim deParavicini's E.A.R. Yoshino V20 Integrated Amplifier, Fosgate Signature Phono pre, No. 50 and 51 Carverfest Tube amps, Hammond M3 tube amp, Ariston RD-40 Turntable w/ Linn Basik LSV tonearn, Shure V15 type IIIG cartridge, Cardas Silver wire service and wire block, Carver TX-8 & 11 tuners, Carver TD-12 & 1700 decks, Tascam CC-222mkII CD recorder, Carver HR-742 reciever, DBX-3BX & 200xg & 120x, CarverAudio ALV prototypes, Alesis Studio One loudspeakers, Dahlquist DQ-8s, The Carver Research DarkStar Sub and Stax Earspeakers.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT...helping the blind to hear, one valve at a time

Return to Carver Speakers