FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:46 am

Doin' a little bit of tweakin' this year.......

<<

treitz3

"Julian"
"Julian"

Post Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:56 pm

Doin' a little bit of tweakin' this year.......

First off, everybody who attends will have to contribute to the PP food fund. This not only pays for a professional "Bobby Flay" type meal(s) [and the pre-planning that is associated], this also contributes toward the unforeseen expenses the organizers of CF have had to pay for out of pocket. Things like paper towels, toilet paper for the masses, saran wrap, aluminum foil, tools to cook, napkins, paper plates, bowls, spoons, knives and forks, cups along with a myriad of other things that come with the hosting of such a wonderful event.

Secondly, this is an audio event and not a 24/7 party. There are folks that attend that wonder where everybody is at 9:00 in the morning. In an effort to tweak things a bit, we are planning a surprise for those who attend that will give incentive to not stay out 'till o'5dark thirty in da' morning. More to come on that later but for now? We'll make sure that this is not a drunkfest. We are better than that. In no way am I saying that this is a alcohol free event, I'm just saying that this is an audio event first and foremost. We all appreciate Bob's attendance and we would like to keep it that way.

Thirdly, a scheduled itinerary will happen everyday. For example, for those that have never heard a cable make a difference? It will happen at Cabin "X" at "X" time. Those that would like to attend the premier of Bob's new concept speaker? You guessed it, it will happen at Cabin"X" at "X" time. Most of this will happen on the final weekend starting Thursday, depending on how many folks show up and how many "workshops/demos/evaluations" we have lined up for the event.

WS11 will have enough tables to house everybody for breakfast and dinner. This will help to organize things better and make community announcements as to the latest of the happenings or developments at Carverfest. We will have 3 grills [and possibly a professional smoker that can cook two full pigs...TBD] and three dining room tables to house everybody comfortably.

We have assembled a team of chefs that will start planning, organizing and implementing the breakfasts and dinners behind the scenes starting sometime in February or so. That way, we are well ahead of the curve [and the planning of an event that has grown beyond the wildest dreams of many] and we can go on without so much as even a hiccup. This year when we say we are eating at 6:00PM, we will.

Not everybody will like what the tweaks are. Not everybody will like the body of this post. Personally? I don't give a damn. This is the way it is and the way it will be if you would like to join us at Carverfest '11. I hope I have made myself clear.

That said, we are making tweaks for us as a group and we are tweaking the cabins as well. There is a thread behind the scenes that is giving attendees a chance to voice what things need to be tweaked by the cabins to make everybody's stay a more memorable/enjoyable one. There's nothing major to be tweaked, just like the aforementioned, just a little bit of tweaking to achieve the best end result. :wink:
In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to a good analogue reproduction.

Robert R. - "Did you see my North Korea analogy? I should have named it Carversite.kim"
<<

bsturgeon89

TFM-55

Post Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:54 pm

Re: Doin' a little bit of tweakin' this year.......

First let me say, I enjoyed my first Carverfest very much. I had a great time meeting the people and hearing some different rigs but I was sort of expecting a format as to which you just posted. I'm more than willing to help cook and get things around. Eating at o'dark thirty sucks.

Honestly, I know this is a social event too but I was expecting it to have a more of audiophile feel to it. Whatever the hell that is. I don't classify myself as an audiophile. I'm just a guy that loves music and wants it to sound the best to which I can afford. Too me though, it was more socializing and not enough audiophiling. Not that I didn't learn anything but I was kind of expecting to walk away with a little more knowledge and understanding of how to get the best out of my system by hearing different cables and/or components. Which leads me to my next point.

Some of you guys are seasoned when it comes to audio. I'm not. Maybe I got the wrong impression but I thought this was an event where people want to hear different rigs and the sounds they produce. Isn't that what people bring their rigs down for? I mean no offense or disrespect to anyone hear but that is what I brought my rig down for. Constructive criticism and to maybe try something new or different on my rig and see if I can tell the difference. In the 5 days I was there, I had 5 people come listen to my setup. I was disappointed in that regard. Hell, I could have brought and just listened to my ipod when I was back at the cabin or the crappy system in the cabin.

Don't get me wrong. The people are great and some of the nicest people one could ever meet. All that said, I'm coming back next year.

Tom, I think you are definitely on the right track. James you too...I know Tom didin't come up with this all by his pretty handsome self.

Let me know what I can do to help next year if need be.

Brock
Carverfest 2010 quote...I can't explain it right now, I'm drunk...

GO BUCKEYES
<<

F1nut

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:41 am

I like staying up late, I like eating late and I like sleeping in late. I hate a scheduled itinerary, takes the fun out of things. The audio side has its place, but what I look forward to is hanging out with like minded audio folks that want to relax in a non-formal type atmosphere and BS about whatever, which is pretty much the way it was for the 2 CF that I attended.

When it becomes too serious, it's no longer fun. My $.02.
Political Correctness...defined

A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

In a recent press conference, President Obama remarked, "If I had a city, it would look just like Detroit."
<<

Don

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:18 am

Tom,

X2

From a newbie family who attended their first Carverfest,

The Deals
<<

Toy Maker

Puppet Master

Post Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:47 pm

I agree, there are allot of things that need revamping, and revisions for next year.
This even has become too large, and there are too many people arriving on different dates and at different times to "just wing it" anymore.

The 10-15 of us that were there the full 10 days, had it pretty nice and easy the 1st few days. But around the 5th day things changed allot.
Once we had 30-45 people all wandering around different cabins looking for someone, or trying to get something done, it got pretty hectic.

I'm not sure who came up with it, but someone had the idea, that we should have a scheduled time and place to be to listen to other peoples systems.
Basically, we all mob over to Toms place, to check out his system today, and tomorrow is Brian's, and so on.
It's allot of people each day in 1 persons cabin, but it would help keep the group together for a little while, and we'd all be able to make the rounds together.
Say at 2-3pm each day, we all head over to someones cabin for a few hours, and after that it's dinner time somewhere around 5-6
That leaves plenty of time each day to go anywhere else you want to, and hang out

Tom and I had an early morning talk about this next subject....
This is going to ruffle some feathers for sure.....

I had a really big problem with the drinking situation this year. I am not calling any one or 2 people out on this subject.
This is more of an overall view from an outsider that does not drink,
I don't have an issue with people drinking, what I do have an issue with is the AMOUNT of drinking that went on.
I know you are all adults, and can do whatever you want, but I was honestly embarrassed this year...
and took Bob aside to apologize to him on his last day there. He agreed, this year was different than the previous 2 years.
One of the other things that bothered me was the fact that some people were just shit faced drunk, more times than not...
Some evening or late night drinking is to be expected, but being shit face drunk by noon, is a problem.
(aside from the "Drunk Crazy Bitch" which we all weren't expecting too much from)

This is supposed to be an AUDIO fest, not a drunken week on a party boat.
Like Tom said, we are not expecting this to be a "dry" event, we want everyone to have fun, and enjoy themselves, but I would like to see some respect for the even, and especially for the fact that Bob Carver comes 3000 miles to be there, and shows his support. This is a vacation for him too, and I honestly doubt he plans on spending his vacations with a bunch of drunk people for an entire week.

CarverFest is also my only real "get away" vacation each year, and I want to be able to spend that time with friends that I enjoy being around...
If I wanted to spend it with a drunk-tard, I'd just stay home, save myself $1500 and hang out with my dumbass drunk mother.

I honestly have some seriously concerns for some of people from this year. There is no way in hell, that the amount some people were throwing back, was a "one time thing" If it were, you probably would have died there on the mountain.

I REALLY want everyone to return for CarverFest 2011, but I (and others) would really appreciate a little more restraint when it comes to the amount of drinking this year.

With that said, I will get down off my soapbox, and let you all start throwing stones if you like.

James
Whatever you do in life will be insignificant, but it's very important that you do it... because nobody else will.

‎~You think Einstein walked around thinkin' everyone was a bunch of dumb shits?~

SHUT UP AND ENJOY THE MUSIC!
╭∩╮(︶︿︶)╭∩╮
<<

Don

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Tue Oct 05, 2010 3:56 pm

Don wrote:Tom,

X2

From a newbie family who attended their first Carverfest,

The Deals

James,

I hate to be redundant, but X2! Brock, did not have room to be bring a system, but I share your sentiments. Well said bro.
<<

BrianT

Pair of Silver Sevens

Post Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:29 pm

treitz3 wrote:First off, everybody who attends will have to contribute to the PP food fund.[/u] This not only pays for a professional "Bobby Flay" type meal(s) [and the pre-planning that is associated], this also contributes toward the unforeseen expenses the organizers of CF have had to pay for out of pocket. Things like paper towels, toilet paper for the masses, saran wrap, aluminum foil, tools to cook, napkins, paper plates, bowls, spoons, knives and forks, cups along with a myriad of other things that come with the hosting of such a wonderful event.

Tom and all.

Pat and I have no problems in contributing to a fund, we did our best by hosting a Turkey dinner on Saturday night. (Still waiting for the mash potatoes from Brock :) :) :) )

treitz3 wrote:Secondly, [u]this is an audio event and not a 24/7 party. There are folks that attend that wonder where everybody is at 9:00 in the morning. In an effort to tweak things a bit, we are planning a surprise for those who attend that will give incentive to not stay out 'till o'5dark thirty in da' morning. More to come on that later but for now? We'll make sure that this is not a drunkfest. We are better than that. In no way am I saying that this is a alcohol free event, I'm just saying that this is an audio event first and foremost. We all appreciate Bob's attendance and we would like to keep it that way.

As there are not a lot a people around at 9:00am Pat and I, arranged of site things to do. White Water Rifting, Tree Zipping and the Steam Train Ride. We would return to CF around 1:00pm. Just to start to see people waking up.

treitz3 wrote:Thirdly, [u]a scheduled itinerary will happen everyday. For example, for those that have never heard a cable make a difference? It will happen at Cabin "X" at "X" time. Those that would like to attend the premier of Bob's new concept speaker? You guessed it, it will happen at Cabin"X" at "X" time. Most of this will happen on the final weekend starting Thursday, depending on how many folks show up and how many "workshops/demos/evaluations" we have lined up for the event.

Thank sounds like a GOOD idea.

treitz3 wrote:WS11 will have enough tables to house everybody for breakfast and dinner. This will help to organize things better and make community announcements as to the latest of the happenings or developments at Carverfest. We will have 3 grills [and possibly a professional smoker that can cook two full pigs...TBD] and three dining room tables to house everybody comfortably.

Pat and I are along for breakfast unless it's at 6:300 am,dinner at round 7:00 is fine. (not 7:00 to midnight)

treitz3 wrote:That said, we are making tweaks for us as a group and we are tweaking the cabins as well. There is a thread behind the scenes that is giving attendees a chance to voice what things need to be tweaked by the cabins to make everybody's stay a more memorable/enjoyable one. There's nothing major to be tweaked, just like the aforementioned, just a little bit of tweaking to achieve the best end result. :wink:

We are thinking about that one, for our input.

treitz3 wrote:We have assembled a team of chefs that will start planning, organizing and implementing the breakfasts and dinners behind the scenes starting sometime in February or so. That way, we are well ahead of the curve [and the planning of an event that has grown beyond the wildest dreams of many] and we can go on without so much as even a hiccup. This year when we say we are eating at 6:00PM, we will.

Pat is willing to volunteer as a chef. Pat said Turkey would be on the table at 7:00pm it was on the table at 7:02pm

treitz3 wrote:Not everybody will like what the tweaks are. Not everybody will like the body of this post. Personally? I don't give a damn. This is the way it is and the way it will be if you would like to join us at Carverfest '11. I hope I have made myself clear.

CRYSTAL CLEAR

See ya at CF11

Brian & Pat
VPI Classic Turntable (blk)
Transfiguration Phoenix Cartridge
Sunfire Vacuum Tube Control Centre. C/W Mod'ed Phono Stage
Carver Silver 7's Tube Amps
Raysonic CD-168 CDP (silver)
Carver TX11.
B&W 802D's Rosenut
<<

bsturgeon89

TFM-55

Post Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:01 pm

Sorry about the potatos....will make up for it next year.

GO BUCKEYES
<<

BrianT

Pair of Silver Sevens

Post Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:16 pm

bsturgeon89 wrote:Sorry about the potatos....will make up for it next year.

Brock.

No problems man. See you next time.

Sorry I did not make it down to listen to tour rig. I ran out of time. There was 4 cabins it did not make it to.

I'me so bad. 8)

Brian.
Carver TX11.
B&W 802D's Rosenut
<<

bsturgeon89

TFM-55

Post Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:26 pm

BrianT wrote:

Brock.

Sorry I did not make it down to listen to tour rig. I ran out of time. There was 4 cabins it did not make it to.

I'me so bad. 8)

Brian.

There is always next year.

See ya then

GO BUCKEYES
<<

Don

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:38 pm

BrianT wrote:

Brock.

I'me so bad. 8)

Brian.

Brian,

You didn't make it to our cabin either. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: We could of played our cabin Bose system for you. Like you said, there is always next year. \:D/ \:D/

Don
<<

angelod307

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Wed Oct 06, 2010 2:25 am

yes, what they said....and brock, i somehow did not make it to hear your system. next year for sure, as i will bring some kind of rig as well. better than what i had this year. if not for robert, i would have missed out on my late night jammin' . as a matter of fact, other than robert listening to it for a while, bob was the only one interested in hearing my setup in the down stairs of cabin6. next year, i may be the drunk crazy woman so we don't have to do without the entertainment value that she added.
CarverFest: I just go for the arts and crafts
<<

engtaz

"TAZ"

Post Wed Oct 06, 2010 3:28 am

The setup Brock setup had a hugh sound stage. I did not critique it because I was listening after the crossover upgrade and did not feel it was fair to judge something in it's breakin period. Nice sytem.
engtaz

Carver M4.0T in front channels to Caver AL VI's in SACD & 2 Channel setup
C 16, PT 2400, Slim Device, Carver TX-8, 490T and Rega TT w Grado Gold cart in the 2 channel setup
Bogen SRB20 is computer amp
Carver PM-350 donated for youth church use
<<

BrianT

Pair of Silver Sevens

Post Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:58 am

Don wrote:
You didn't make it to our cabin either. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: We could of played our cabin Bose system for you. Like you said, there is always next year. \:D/ \:D/

Don

Don.

That would have been a treat, how could I have missed out on the Bose system. #-o

Brian
Carver TX11.
B&W 802D's Rosenut
<<

Zoot Horn

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:02 am

engtaz wrote:The setup Brock setup had a hugh sound stage. I did not critique it because I was listening after the crossover upgrade and did not feel it was fair to judge something in it's breakin period. Nice sytem.

waaaaaaaaaaaaaa,, that never stopped you before,, gettin' mellow in your age eh,,Roy? :-$
Next

Return to CARVERFEST 2011