FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:46 pm

"Lossless" duplicating. Is it for real? Seriously....?

<<

Magnaryder

SILVER-7t

Post Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:01 pm

Re: "Lossless" duplicating. Is it for real? Seriously....?

Mr. M-500t wrote:
BillD wrote:But Jesse wants you to prove you can't hear the difference! :D

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: *5*

Sorry guys,
I'm just getting caught up on this thread !
That was a good one BillD !

I wonder if Bob asked them that during the Stereophile challenge? <<then>>Oh BTW' now that I've proven you wrong can you prove you can't hear it?

Well golden ears are you up to it? BigDog PCs are waiting...

ray
Magnaryder

Its going to be used equipment when I sell it, so it may as well be used equipment when I buy it.

Tim deParavicini's E.A.R. Yoshino V20 Integrated Amplifier, Fosgate Signature Phono pre, No. 50 and 51 Carverfest Tube amps, Hammond M3 tube amp, Ariston RD-40 Turntable w/ Linn Basik LSV tonearn, Shure V15 type IIIG cartridge, Cardas Silver wire service and wire block, Carver TX-8 & 11 tuners, Carver TD-12 & 1700 decks, Tascam CC-222mkII CD recorder, Carver HR-742 reciever, DBX-3BX & 200xg & 120x, CarverAudio ALV prototypes, Alesis Studio One loudspeakers, Dahlquist DQ-8s, The Carver Research DarkStar Sub and Stax Earspeakers.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT...helping the blind to hear, one valve at a time
<<

treitz3

"Julian"
"Julian"

Post Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:59 am

Oh, I'm ready.

I'm ready, willing and able. Bring it.

No excuses this year. :-"
In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to a good analogue reproduction.

Robert R. - "Did you see my North Korea analogy? I should have named it Carversite.kim"
<<

Rainman

SILVER-7t

Post Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:01 am

Toy Maker wrote:Oooo It's on this year !!!

I just downloaded and installed "Exact Audio Copy" and this program kicks ass !!!
http://www.exactaudiocopy.de/en/

Toy Maker, you should remember the E.A.C. program has already been discussed and covered many moons ago... and it is a program that works quite well but, it's still a bandaid for a problem that has no cure as of yet...
Here is a cut and paste from a previous post
"There is no such thing as no loss when pulling audio from an audio cd. This is because the cd audio format has 2 major design issues that make it difficult to obtain an accurate copy in the form of a standard digital file. First the system is designed to provide audio in real time to eliminate gaps in playback. Because of this it does not provide a reliable stream of information from the disc to the computer. The other factor is the cd format has coding built into it that is designed to cover up and play across errors that can't be corrected like major scratches on the discs. This means the data read from a cd may not be a true reproduction of the original."
Question: Do you know why turds are tapered on the ends? Answer: So your asshole doesn't slam shut..

Carver- SDA490t, SDA450, 2 TFM45's, TFM15, CT23, CT28v, CT27v, Linn Kaber speakers, Sunfire crm2's, PS Audio Statement speaker cables and I/C's, A.P.C. power
<<

Toy Maker

Puppet Master

Post Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:04 am

Rainman wrote:
Toy Maker wrote:Oooo It's on this year !!!

I just downloaded and installed "Exact Audio Copy" and this program kicks ass !!!
http://www.exactaudiocopy.de/en/

Toy Maker, you should remember the E.A.C. program has already been discussed and covered many moons ago... and it is a program that works quite well but, it's still a bandaid for a problem that has no cure as of yet...
Here is a cut and paste from a previous post
"There is no such thing as no loss when pulling audio from an audio cd. This is because the cd audio format has 2 major design issues that make it difficult to obtain an accurate copy in the form of a standard digital file. First the system is designed to provide audio in real time to eliminate gaps in playback. Because of this it does not provide a reliable stream of information from the disc to the computer. The other factor is the cd format has coding built into it that is designed to cover up and play across errors that can't be corrected like major scratches on the discs. This means the data read from a cd may not be a true reproduction of the original."

If this is true... than the CD itself has a good chance of being a very poor reproduction of the CD itself !!!
If the CD player is designed to "fix errors" than the output is a "modified" reproduction of the original mastering.. EVERY time it is played ](*,)

It also seems it is assumed that every CD we are going to be using is full of scratches, and can't be copied correctly.
What if we are using a brand new CD, never opened?

I am still putting my $$ of the fact no one will be able to tell the difference once it is set up correctly.
I will give everyone the benefit of the doubt, that there very well may be a .01% or .001% difference between the CD and the ripped file, but I also doubt anyone will be able to hear it. and THAT is the test.

PS... quit posting in blue. It's impossible to see on the dark background now 8-[
Whatever you do in life will be insignificant, but it's very important that you do it 'cause nobody else will

‎~You think Einstein walked around thinkin' everyone was a bunch of dumb shits?~

SHUT UP AND ENJOY THE MUSIC!
╭∩╮(︶︿︶)╭∩╮
<<

BillD

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Location: The west's most mid-western town, Scottsdale, Arizona

Post Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:28 am

I always rip my CDs fresh out of the wrapper and then listen to them off the CD. Typically, those are the only two times my CDs are played.
It should sound like it isn't there!
There is a difference between hearing and listening...
Making life enjoyable through expensive electronics.

OconeeOrange

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:19 pm

Being a poor boy, I seldom buy a new one. :-|
<<

BillD

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Location: The west's most mid-western town, Scottsdale, Arizona

Post Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:21 pm

I find that buying CDs (or SACDs or DVD-As) sates my buying desires so I don't do something stupid like bid on one of Bob's tube amps.
It should sound like it isn't there!
There is a difference between hearing and listening...
Making life enjoyable through expensive electronics.

Toy Maker

Puppet Master

Post Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:24 pm

Man... I haven't "bought" a CD in 10+ years.... :-"
I also just found out that our local library has a TON of CD's and DVD's you can check out for FREE.. and they have damn near every genre of music.
I grabbed a couple Saturday just to listen to them to see what they were. Usually, I pull up YouTube and check out music, to see if I like it 1st.
A lady in front of me was walking out with 50+ DVD's in a huge tote bag. She said you can take as many as you want, with no fees if you bring them back in 1 week :shock:
Whatever you do in life will be insignificant, but it's very important that you do it 'cause nobody else will

‎~You think Einstein walked around thinkin' everyone was a bunch of dumb shits?~

SHUT UP AND ENJOY THE MUSIC!
╭∩╮(︶︿︶)╭∩╮
<<

OconeeOrange

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:49 pm

BillD wrote:I find that buying CDs (or SACDs or DVD-As) sates my buying desires so I don't do something stupid like bid on one of Bob's tube amps.

That is funny. I did upgrade my TT this week for a new/used one. :rolleyes:
<<

OconeeOrange

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:54 pm

Toy Maker wrote:Man... I haven't "bought" a CD in 10+ years.... :-"
I also just found out that our local library has a TON of CD's and DVD's you can check out for FREE.. and they have damn near every genre of music.
I grabbed a couple Saturday just to listen to them to see what they were. Usually, I pull up YouTube and check out music, to see if I like it 1st.
A lady in front of me was walking out with 50+ DVD's in a huge tote bag. She said you can take as many as you want, with no fees if you bring them back in 1 week :shock:

Yea, my wife is a member of the Oconee and Anderson library. She goes every week getting audio books for her and her Pop.
I go on line and reserve a few CDs and she brings them home. I have gotten a few good ones.

As to DVD, we both have a NetFlix account. I just stick them in the computer and watch when I get around to it, mostly late at night.
Previous

Return to CARVERFEST 2011