FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:58 pm

What are you bringing to CarverFest 2011?

<<

kingman

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:03 pm

Re: CarverFest Audio Show

Zoot Horn wrote:
kingman wrote:
I have an idea
...and that would be???? :-s

well,, if they are not"spoken for" I was thinking that Tom could drop them off in our cabin,,I'd set em up downstairs,,and bring and all tube rig to power them.Just a thought.

Great idea!!!! =D> =D> =D>
In reality, it only matters what it sounds like to YOU!!!
<<

treitz3

"Julian"
"Julian"

Post Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:32 am

Sweet!

I would have no issues with that, George. In fact, I would love it!

That said, you are still bringing your other rig, correct? Reason I ask is your rig [with the Tylers] was gonna be the rig I was gonna use if I could not detect any differences between the original and "copy" test, since I am intimately familiar with that tweeter. We are gonna have to chat via the phone soon 'cause I have an idea as well but I will need input from you to see if we can make it happen. Until then,

:-#
In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to a good analogue reproduction.

Robert R. - "Did you see my North Korea analogy? I should have named it Carversite.kim"
<<

Magnaryder

SILVER-7t

Post Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:17 am

Zoot Horn wrote:
kingman wrote:
I have an idea
...and that would be???? :-s

well,, if they are not"spoken for" I was thinking that Tom could drop them off in our cabin,,I'd set em up downstairs,,and bring an all tube rig to power them.Just a thought.

OR.... we could bi-amp them with a couple of TFM-75s and see if they have any cajones...

bwaaahahahaha

ray
Magnaryder

Its going to be used equipment when I sell it, so it may as well be used equipment when I buy it.

Tim deParavicini's E.A.R. Yoshino V20 Integrated Amplifier, Fosgate Signature Phono pre, No. 50 and 51 Carverfest Tube amps, Hammond M3 tube amp, Ariston RD-40 Turntable w/ Linn Basik LSV tonearn, Grado Statement Master1 cartridge, Cardas Silver wire service and wire block, Carver TX-8 & 11 tuners, Carver TD-12 & 1700 decks, Tascam CC-222mkII CD recorder, Carver HR-742 reciever, DBX-3BX & 200xg & 120x, CarverAudio ALV prototypes, Alesis Studio One loudspeakers, Dahlquist DQ-8s, The Carver Research DarkStar Sub and Stax Earspeakers.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT...helping the blind to hear, one valve at a time
<<

treitz3

"Julian"
"Julian"

Post Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:12 pm

Veddy funny Ray, veddy funny.......punk.

OconeeOrange wrote:I have my Audio Show program ready to print.
OO, I have asked this before and I'll assume you missed the post. Are you planning on making a program for Carverfest or not? No biggie either way but I need to know now. That way I can start planning accordingly. Thanks, man!

This year, we will be doing another Q & A session with Bob. We have planned this for Saturday, as most of the folks who are attending will be there that day. So, that said...here's the newest itinerary ["each system tour"] excluded.

Wednesday [10:00AM] will be the soldering class. **Subject to change to Thursday night @8:00PM.

Thursday [2:00PM-completed] will be the official "test" between the original and copy.

All day Friday, starting at 10:00AM will be the tube amp build, followed by a "party" at WS5.

Saturday at 10:00AM will be the Q & A session with Bob, followed by the cable swap workshop.

This is the latest that we have so far.....of course, we are still in the planning stage and pretty much everything is subject to change.....but it's where we are at right now.
In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to a good analogue reproduction.

Robert R. - "Did you see my North Korea analogy? I should have named it Carversite.kim"
<<

OconeeOrange

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:23 pm

Re: Veddy funny Ray, veddy funny.......punk.

treitz3 wrote:
OconeeOrange wrote:I have my Audio Show program ready to print.
OO, I have asked this before and I'll assume you missed the post. Are you planning on making a program for Carverfest or not? No biggie either way but I need to know now. That way I can start planning accordingly. Thanks, man!

I have no formal education like you guys, but I offered to do something, mostly as a map just to help myself enjoy the offerings.
As you can see, few gave up the secrets of what they are showing up with.

If that info is made available to me, I will make up a map for me and be glad to print off many copies for all who want one.
Putting it online for people to see before hand is also something I can do as I learned html in 1998.

W/O info - it is a dead issue.
<<

treitz3

"Julian"
"Julian"

Post Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:28 pm

treitz3 wrote:http://www.carveraudio.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=151&t=14248 WTF? I can't get the damned thing to link. ](*,) Go to page two of this thread, bottom post and you will see the original post that will link you directly to the thread that won't link here for some F'd up reason.... ](*,)

Bill, the above is a link to some of the gear and whatnot folks are planning on bringing this year.

viewtopic.php?f=151&t=12848

^^^ Here's another one for vinyl rigs. ^^^

It may not be much but they are posted on other threads, Bill. If you have the time, go through these threads and you will find out what some of the folks are bringing. Feel free to bump either thread to find out more. You already know about the SDA1C's and the tube rig, the new concept ALS and the tube amps.

<<

OconeeOrange

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:29 pm

treitz3 wrote:
It may not be much but they are posted on other threads, Bill. If you have the time, go through these threads and you will find out what some of the folks are bringing. Feel free to bump either thread to find out more. You already know about the SDA1C's and the tube rig, the new concept ALS and the tube amps.

treitz3 wrote:
It may not be much but they are posted on other threads, Bill. If you have the time, go through these threads and you will find out what some of the folks are bringing. feel free to bump either thread to find out more. You already know about the SDA1C's and the tube rig, the new concept ALS and the tube amps.

That might work if I had no actual life, but I do fish.
Also, there is little on those threads to discover.

So lets try this -
All PM me with your cabin number and as as much info as you can about your system.
Help me out here, don't just send some numbers (ct-!2) but tell me your thoughts about each item.
To that end, tell me about how it blends together and things you have your eye on for the future. You guys are not idiots, and you do what you do for a reason. Share that.
Don't leave out the wires :lol: :lol:
All here know I have no problem putting things to words. I am willing and eager to Google, but personal thoughts are better. Please add any URLs to help me out.

If I can get the info, I will excel on my end of the project. I will not let yall down on this tiny project. If I do good on this, next year I get to choose all the tunes played at CarverFest. =D>

In my my mind, all systems are equal. With a millions bucks to spend on audio, things might change, but most here by definition use second hand gear. That junk in the environment it was created for is in most cases is pristine to the your desires. All understand the rules change in a new cabin. ](*,)
When I hit the lotto, just want more Carver --

So, PM me with all your thoughts on your system and the cabin #. Please add detail to your thoughts. Help me out as much as you can.

Yes, I will be compelled to note the asshole cabins too elite to share. :lol:

I have a damn good system in my RedNeck Bar. Next year I am hauling it up the mountain. I am not bringing it to CF this year as no one can cover the rabbit's junk. If you can, tell me about it.
<<

frenchguy

SILVER-7t

Post Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:39 am

i already told you in another thread what I will bring to cabin 5 OO, just need to get my ass in gear as its coming too fast!!!!!!!!!!!! looking forward to meeting everyone!! :)
Carver M-4.0t & Rollandized tfm42, ct-6 & ct-17, sda390t, jolida jd 100A & JBL L96,s Modified JBL 4401,s W/Ribbon Tweeters, Carverfest vacuum tube amp & Dared SL-2000A tube preamp, Carver AL3 amazing speakers in natural oak & Douglas connection cables
<<

Toy Maker

Puppet Master

Post Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:10 am

Re: What are you bringing to CarverFest 2011?

frenchguy wrote:i already told you in another thread what I will bringing

As did I....

Now BOT H threads are merged into one RIGHT HERE.

Toy Maker wrote:I'll be bringing 2 setups this year.. both "Digital" and an "Analog" rigs this time around.

Digital Rig:
7TB Acer Home Server, Transporter, Proceed Preamp, Lightstar Pre, and Lightstar Amplifiers

Analog Rig:
Carver Silver-1 Preamp, Silver-7 Tube Amplifiers

Things are looking VERY REALISTIC for the new ALS this time around. If not, We'll grab The AL-VI's on the way up, if Roy doesn't mind :-"
Whatever you do in life will be insignificant, but it's very important that you do it... because nobody else will.

‎~You think Einstein walked around thinkin' everyone was a bunch of dumb shits?~

SHUT UP AND ENJOY THE MUSIC!
╭∩╮(︶︿︶)╭∩╮
<<

treitz3

"Julian"
"Julian"

Post Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:28 am

Nanner, nanner, nanner.....

OconeeOrange wrote:Yes, I will be compelled to note the asshole cabins too elite to share. :lol:
I'll see that and raise you one. I'm that asshole that is so elite that I won't even be bringing my rig. Take that.

<<

TNRabbit

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:55 am

Since you asked for comments on our rigs, I'll add some here. As said, I'm bringing my complete 5.1 system, unless I find it won't all fit in the truck~ [-o<

I'm including price paid, not to brag, but to give an idea what you could expect to spend for a similar rig (2007 prices).

Sony Generic Multi-disc Player: not more than one disc, but rather it plays many types of discs. I use it primarily for SACD/DVD-A playback. Purchased at Best Buy in 2008 for about $120.

Carver SD/A-360 CDP: An inexpensive cdp I purchased new (demo) in the Incirlik Air Base exchange for only $100. Had to break out the soldering iron once a couple of years ago to repair broken joints on the TOSLINK connection, but other than that & the occasional lens cleaning, has served me well over the past 14 years.

Benchmark DAC 1 digital-to-analog converter: Purchased new from Benchmark online in 2007 for the princely sum of $1,195. One of the only new audio components I've ever purchased. Bought it after hearing Dreamer's DAC 1 at CF2007. Incredibly clean & detailed.

Sunfire TG-IV Pre-pro: purchased used on eBay ($1,950) in early 2007 as a replacement to a Sunfire Tube preamp (wanted surround capability, couldn't afford both) which I sold to forum member mikeg. A fantastic processor that has become a real sleeper on the used market. You can get impressive 2 channel with the "stereo direct" function...it bypasses all the processor functions (as does the 8-channel analog). I love the versatility of it.

Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature Seven Power Amplifier: Purchased used on eBay ($2,350) about the same time as the TG-IV to replace the 300x2 I sold to forum member mikeg. One of the most versatile & powerful amps I've ever experienced. Probably the most versatile amp on the planet. There are not many speakers you couldn't destroy with it....but it's more than brute strength. It has finesse & digs DEEP. The sound/power would be difficult to approach without spending many times the price.

Ashly XR-1001 Active Crossover: Purchased used on eBay in 2010 for $135. it was an exceptionally clean unit, & I was/am totally impressed with how clear & uncolored it sounds, & how low the noise floor is. I highly recommend Ashly based on this unit. The only drawback is there is no delay/phase adjustment between channels.

Rane PEQ-15 Parametric Equalizers: Purchased TWO units used on eBay around the same time I bought the Ashly, for only $125 for the PAIR, sequential serial numbers. They had spent their life in a single rack with little use. VERY clean units. I was a little disappointed with the highish noise floor, but I have a plan in the works to do some mods to make them a little more silent. In their defense, the manual states (& I've verified) the noise/hiss level is GREATLY affected by where the dials sit....the closer to center, the less noise. The more/less gain and/or smaller notch you dial in, the more noise that's added. I don't think I'd EVER buy a regular graphic equalizer after using these--they are very versatile. Basically, a parametric EQ allows much more precise, detailed control as you can adjust not only the boost/cut, but also the center frequency & width of the frequencies affected.

Carver AL-III loudspeakers: Purchased (eBay again!) in 1997 for $850. I paid premium price as they were in near-perfect condition with VERY little use. Drove all the way to Illinois to pick them up, wrapped them lovingly in foam, bubble wrap, & plastic for the trip home THROUGH A SNOW STORM (!). They were stained in "Pickled Oak" when I purchased them (the original Honey Oak is visible along the bottom edge of the wings). I've highly modified them in the past few years, including replacing the original woofers with Infinity Perfect 10.1 woofers & removing the passive crossovers (hence the active crossover above) & replacing the rear panel with high quality stainless steel. I also replaced the binding posts & fuse holders.

Klipsch RT-12d Powered/Active Subwoofer: I purchased an entire Klipsch RF-83 surround system NEW in 2007 & ended up selling all but the sub last year to fund an attorney to fight the ex. It's a great sub in the sub-$2k bracket. I cross over at 40 hz; everything above that goes to the AL-IIIs. You can get better, but for an 850-watt powered sub with active EQ built in, it's not too shabby. At 85 lbs, it's a lightweight in the sub category~
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.
<<

Chauss

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:09 pm

Gary- could you please give us a little detail? :D Can't wait to hear it! =D> =P~
Good sound—like good music, good wine and good fellowship—is meant to be shared.
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" Albert Einstein
<<

treitz3

"Julian"
"Julian"

Post Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:58 pm

Well, things have changed.....

I'll be bringing the new custom Tyler Acoustics stereo subs for the rig in George's system. FWIW....

<<

OconeeOrange

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:17 pm

OconeeOrange wrote:
treitz3 wrote:
It may not be much but they are posted on other threads, Bill. If you have the time, go through these threads

treitz3 wrote:

That might work if I had no actual life, but I do fish.
Also, there is little on those threads to discover.

So lets try this -
All PM me with your cabin number and as as much info as you can about your system.
Help me out here, don't just send some numbers (ct-!2) but tell me your thoughts about each item.
To that end, tell me about how it blends together and things you have your eye on for the future. You guys are not idiots, and you do what you do for a reason. Share that.
Don't leave out the wires :lol: :lol:
All here know I have no problem putting things to words. I am willing and eager to Google, but personal thoughts are better. Please add any URLs to help me out.

If I can get the info, I will excel on my end of the project. I will not let yall down on this tiny project. If I do good on this, next year I get to choose all the tunes played at CarverFest. =D>

So, PM me with all your thoughts on your system and the cabin #. Please add detail to your thoughts. Help me out as much as you can.

Raked through the threads.
Many seem to want to surprise and I guess that is OK.
Some maybe don't have a line on it yet. None go into any detail or tell us why they are bringing whatever.

I will try, but if you don't care much about it, don't be pissed if you come off with little notice in the souvenir "CarverFest 2011 Cabin Map Brochure".

I did get in a very descriptive PM from Don. Thanks Don. I will try to find photos of that great gear for the map. I really look forward to hearing the gear you are bringing. I know you have gone out of your way to put a theme to the system you are bringing. =D> =D>

Also, thanks to Gary for posting his gear and thoughts about it. You make it easy for me, and I appreciate that as will others when they have the map in their hands and are approaching Cabin #5.

OO

p/s PMs with screen names and cabin numbers would be a big help to a lazy asshole like myself.
<<

mbskeam

SILVER-7t

Post Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:01 pm

this is what I'm bringin.....

my buffer

kinda a fun thing to play with..... :wink:

and a couple of real bad sounding rca cables.... :lol: :lol:
Mbskeam

#1 BLACK BEAUTY's made by the man, the myth, the legend Bob Carver
CARVER: TFM-75, TFM-45(3), SD/A-490T
SUNFIRE: Tube pre
2 sets of ALS'3, set of SILVERS, set of PLATS
AUDIOCONTROL: phase coupled activator
KENWOOD: BASIC M2a (2)

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”
― Aristophanes

The only thing I'll feel......will be the RECOIL
Necronomicon Ex-Mortis....... Klaatu Barada Nikkto
"We should seek the greatest value of our action"
PreviousNext

Return to CARVERFEST 2011