PayPal Food Fund this year ?!?!

Event Coordinators for CarverFest 2011
Toy Maker
Puppet Master

PayPal Food Fund this year ?!?!

Post by Toy Maker » Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:51 am

Some of us did this a couple years ago...
I think we had about $2500 for food for the week, and it seemed to run pretty smoothly.
I think with there being a little more "structure" the 2011, it might b a good idea to implement this again to cover the meals.
I think it was $105 per adult last time we did it, and we all ate like KINGS.
This year, either $110 an adult for the full 10 days, or $15 a day per person for the part timers.
We need to decide what this WILL and WON'T cover.
Booz and beer is NOT included, BYOB
Lunch meats, soda, Dinners are included... what else?
Opinions ??

Zoot Horn
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Re: PayPal Food Fund this year ?!?!

Post by Zoot Horn » Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:53 am

I think if we have a fund(I'll participate),,we need to have a time/place and adhere to a schedule/times.
Just my .02

angelod307
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by angelod307 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:27 pm

yes, that would help greatly in planning what food to make and buy.
CarverFest: I just go for the arts and crafts

Magnaryder
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by Magnaryder » Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:55 pm

ToyMaker wrote:Some of us did this a couple years ago...
I think we had about $2500 for food for the week, and it seemed to run pretty smoothly.
I think with there being a little more "structure" the 2011, it might b a good idea to implement this again to cover the meals.
I think it was $105 per adult last time we did it, and we all ate like KINGS.
This year, either $110 an adult for the full 10 days, or $15 a day per person for the part timers.
We need to decide what this WILL and WON'T cover.
Booz and beer is NOT included, BYOB
Lunch meats, soda, Dinners are included... what else?
Opinions ??
then
Zoot Horn wrote:I think if we have a fund(I'll participate),,we need to have a time/place and adhere to a schedule/times.
Just my .02

Eddie found us a great rib I cooked early in the week(this year) drowned it in Crown and cooked it on the grill, Damn it was good!!!!

Noobs.....Go back and read the 2008 food threads..

Here's the issue as I see it. Planning the meals/menus is no problem, really we did a great job in 2008. But...the problem now(as then) is the 'Fest has grown beyond what you can do in the kitchens we have there. The participation has grown beyond anything I expected. Realistically feeding 20-25 in one place is pushing it. In 2008 we fed 35-50 depending on the day/mealtime. I think to make it more like 2008 we should have 2 places making dinner, that will cut down on prep time and the amount of time the cooks spend in the kitchens and allow them to enjoy the 'Fest. You either pay to play or you don't attend. We cannot have it both ways. We ate good in 2008...if you were there you remember. We can do that again. It's good the discussion has begun now...

ray
Magnaryder

Its going to be used equipment when I sell it, so it may as well be used equipment when I buy it.

"Racing is life, the rest of the time you're just sitting around."-Steve McQueen

treitz3
"Julian"
"Julian"

Post by treitz3 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:30 pm

What about the idea of using the food funds to rent or get a rather large propane cooker/trailer we talked about? A buddy of mine still has his, I think. If not, I just found this one local to me.

http://charlotte.craigslist.org/for/1983071552.html

Of course, we'd have to negotiate a price for 10-11 days. Side dishes can easily be done in one cabin.
In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to a good analogue reproduction.

treitz3
"Julian"
"Julian"

Jeff's phone # 704-320-0061 in case the link disappears....

Post by treitz3 » Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:22 pm

OK, I just got off the phone with Jeff Hawk. He's the owner of the cooker/smoker linked above. I will be stopping by his pad sometime soon to take a close look at it. He still does not know a price for the amount of time we would need it for but he's willing to work with me on it as normally nobody ever needs one for that span of time. He says he's cooked for 400 folks on this thing, so he said it should be up to the task.....but he seemed a little hesitant about it being cooked on for such long times as we discussed. :-s

If his doesn't work out, he says there is a guy in Charlotte that he knows that has a fleet of professional cookers. He's gonna try to look up the other cat's information by the time I meet up with him.

Still trying to get a hold of my buddy, Shane. His would work, without a doubt.
In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to a good analogue reproduction.

Toy Maker
Puppet Master

Post by Toy Maker » Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:59 pm

Shit, we have those things a dime-a-dozen down here is RedNeckVille !!!!

I dono why you're fucking around with a little pussy grill/cooker...
then again, it IS "Tom" we're talking about ](*,) ](*,)

Get a MAN GRILL you little bitch !!!!
I might need a hand getting this one up to NC though

Now this little bitch is right down the road from me... should I call ??
http://fortmyers.craigslist.org/lee/cto/1955160750.html

MAKE ME AN OFFER!!!! ONE OF A KIND GIANT BBQ COOKER MADE FROM A SEMI GALVANIZED MILK TRAILER.....CONNECTS TO ANY TRUCK/TRACTOR/53' IN LENGTH..... INSIDE HAS BUILT IN RACKS FOR SMOKING ALL KINDS OF MEATS....BUILT IN STAINLESS STEEL DOORS, SINKS, FOLD OUT AWNING AND 28' DECK WITH ALUMINUM STAIRS. GREAT FRO ANY CATERING OR FUNCTION. READY TO USE..IN GREAT SHAPE. MUST SEE TO BELIEVE!

Image Image
Image Image

treitz3
"Julian"
"Julian"

Post by treitz3 » Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:23 pm

Toy Maker wrote:I might need a hand getting this one up to NC though
Suuuuuuurrre. Go ahead and call. Tell you what......I'll get it up to NC. YOU get it up the hill......

THAT I'd like to see! :lol:

I'm trying to find one locally in Bryson City or somewhere closer so that we don't have to haul it and pay for it on those days we won't actually need it but I'm having no luck at all trying to find one on the net. I'll talk to Tim about when we chat next.....maybe see if he has a connection or not.

Magnaryder
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by Magnaryder » Fri Oct 29, 2010 4:17 pm

treitz3 wrote:What about the idea of using the food funds to rent or get a rather large propane cooker/trailer we talked about? A buddy of mine still has his, I think. If not, I just found this one local to me.

http://charlotte.craigslist.org/for/1983071552.html

Of course, we'd have to negotiate a price for 10-11 days. Side dishes can easily be done in one cabin.
I don't like the idea of spending food$$$ on something we get no return on. Food$$ is for food. I think we should keep it that way. Cooking in 2 cabins should be no problem. I'll bet Eddie and I can manage one team and Angelo and a draft choice to be named later could manage the other. We can manage the first few nights in 12 until the mass shows up then divide it up. Move 2 grills to each of the cooking cabins, decide who will eat where and go from there. We can draft clean up help before the 'fest starts by getting everyone who attends to sign a list. Everyone MUST sign up unless you're part of the cooking crew. That should spread the labor over most of the folks attending.

ray
Magnaryder

Its going to be used equipment when I sell it, so it may as well be used equipment when I buy it.

"Racing is life, the rest of the time you're just sitting around."-Steve McQueen

Toy Maker
Puppet Master

Post by Toy Maker » Fri Oct 29, 2010 4:36 pm

I likes that plan.

treitz3
"Julian"
"Julian"

Post by treitz3 » Fri Oct 29, 2010 6:44 pm

10-4. I understand completely about $$$ for food....going for food. That makes sense. I was just thinking about the cooks and their freedom during their vacation. The first Friday through about Tuesday night should be a breeze. We had 10 folks this year during that time and the expected amount of folks attending for this year during those days is the same exact amount of folks we had for the 1st CF...14 folks. That's easily manageable.

It's Wednesday on that I'm worried about. Well, not worried, but that's when the shit seems to hit the fan and the masses start to show up. Obviously, Thursday, Friday, Saturday are the big days. Hell, for Sunday [lunch and dinner] maybe we could plan on no cooking this year and having everybody consume the leftovers.

Just to let you folks know, I am purchasing containers for the masses and plan on purchasing more. I just got 2 buss trays that we can use for marinating a big lot of whatever or for soaking/cleaning dishes. I will most likely buy two more. Sam's also has containers I am looking at getting for cold storage. I'm sure I will get some for personal use and bring them to CF but it would be good if we could get some more for the event.

The thing we have to remember is that this event is growing and will most likely grow more in the future. While the thought of a trailer/cooker may not be in the foreseeable future.....I'm sure it will. This year [CF 2010], we probably threw away $150-200 worth of food because of the lack of planning and ending up with food that had been marinating for days to cook on Sunday night....it never did get cooked. Many more spent $$$ on food that was never consumed at the 'fest. With the chef/planning team we have this year, most of that will be eliminated. That said, part of what made CF '08 so grand was the fact that part of the $$$ went to things that if we didn't use that year? Well, we'd save them for the next.

One thing off the beaten path......we need to figure out where grills are coming from, who is going to get them to the host cabins and who is going to bring them back. That in itself is [or can be] a major job that will involve 2-3 folks, time and a truck. We need to get a plan together for that if the trailer/cooker is not going to be part of the happenings at CF'11.

treitz3
"Julian"
"Julian"

Post by treitz3 » Fri Oct 29, 2010 6:50 pm

Magnaryder wrote: Everyone MUST sign up unless you're part of the cooking crew. That should spread the labor over most of the folks attending.
I'm sure that'll fly over like a lead balloon. How do you propose we hit the attendees with this news?

"Yo! You plan on attending? Cool. Now sign a list that's mandatory for everybody who attends that makes you kitchen bitch for the lunch/night."

Or did I read it the wrong way? :-s

Toy Maker
Puppet Master

Post by Toy Maker » Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:27 pm

Before you go buying shit, I'd check with Angelo on the marinating trays. I'm sure he has large ones like I used to use for his restaurant.

treitz3
"Julian"
"Julian"

Post by treitz3 » Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:05 pm

I'm buying that for my own use. If it's available for CF? Well, then, I'll use it. If not? We're gonna have to make due with the containers available and use a lot of aluminum foil and saran wrap. The containers I'm talking about are not much dough in he entire scheme of things and would be nothing short of beneficial. Any other ideas? I'm more than open. In fact, they are welcome.

Just keep in mind, I'm not only thinking about just this 'fest. I'm thinking about the future.

Magnaryder
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by Magnaryder » Sat Oct 30, 2010 4:55 pm

treitz3 wrote:
Magnaryder wrote: Everyone MUST sign up unless you're part of the cooking crew. That should spread the labor over most of the folks attending.
I'm sure that'll fly over like a lead balloon. How do you propose we hit the attendees with this news?

"Yo! You plan on attending? Cool. Now sign a list that's mandatory for everybody who attends that makes you kitchen bitch for the lunch/night."

Or did I read it the wrong way? :-s
The only thing that pissed me off in 2008 was having to clean up after the meals after I'd spent hours cooking them. I have no problem with the cooking, it's folks thinking I'm going to wait on them. That actually happened. FU(K THAT!!!! I'll wait on Dave and Bob that's no problem, my problem is folks coming to dinner and no even bothering to clean up after themselves. If everyone pitches in the 'Fest will go smoother. One issue is folks not realizing they CAN pitch in. Let the masses know in a nice way giving a little will go a long way making the time go smoother for all of us.

ray
Magnaryder

Return to “Event Coordinators for CarverFest 2011”