Puppet Master

Squeezebox & iPeng - How To Video

Post by Toy Maker » Sun Jul 10, 2011 5:12 pm

OconeeOrange
"Forum Troll"
"Forum Troll"

Re: Squeezebox & iPeng - How To Video

Post by OconeeOrange » Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:10 pm

That is good stuff. It is ipod for the home user.

Personally, have 4 computers wired on my home network and many TBs of storage.

Actual computer audiophiles argue daily on those type forums as to which player is the best.

Apparently all have preferences, but this one will not be a contender for most of those assholes. Most of their arguments go to which gives the best sound. You can (and I do) download different players for free and try them.

I would put this great thing in the category as to "what you prefer". It makes it easier to find and play tunes. It will not fly on the purist forums as the bit rate is what it is. For most, more than enough, but as more now collect even 24bit tunes - not good enough for some.

I have many tunes in the computer in a few genre folders. I never add tunes to the players. I prefer to keep it like me pulling a CD or LP from the rack.

I like WinAmp. With that, I just browse, pick out a song, album, artist and load that. (demo at CarverFest) Nothing is retained in the player unless I choose to make a play list. I don't let WinAmp or any player control my tunes. I prefer simple.

These radio down load programs have been around for some time and looking at this - they are improving, or at least now available for idiots. I used to put them on a genre and let it download all night -> then cull the ones that did not move me the next morning.

If there is a problem, it is that these are not a very high bit recordings. They sound as good and better than most radios, but not what you get from ripping a CD, DVD -etc.
So why save them as you can turn the "radio thing" on as you choose. No need to save low bit compressed stuff. At least I no longer do that. I have all the tunes I need. If I see another one I might like, I buy it and rip it to a better bit rate. In the day, I would have loved this, but not so much now.

Don't misunderstand - Pandora and some others are incredible and a bargain. My computer plays them well.

As a tune collector, I no longer choose lower bit rates. Sure wish I had this as option when Napster was big. :lol:

Over the years, have bought a few of these wireless things. Still have them all. I do like this one with an ipad screen, but the screen I am looking at right now is MUCH bigger. My mouse is a good finger.

Conclusion is that this is a good buy for most. =D> =D>

For a geezer like me who has collected tunes for years -> I prefer my junk as it is much better quality.
I have a lot invested in my systems and don't want the bit rate to be the weakest link.

If I play a radio these days it is to listen to Sports talk or Rush. It is still incredible how this has evolved. For 99% it is a win. I would all over this if I were 35.

Still, just like "squeezebox" does nothing my computer can't do. It does make more music more accessible for the masses.

For many it should be a "must have".
---Not so much for me.

Chauss
(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post by Chauss » Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:22 pm

That is really cool Toy! Digital recording has come a long ways, but I will still hold off until they can get the compression right or even better -get it to the point that no compression is needed at all for recording. That would be audio nirvana.... :D
Good sound—like good music, good wine and good fellowship—is meant to be shared.
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" Albert Einstein

BillD
R.I.P. Friend
R.I.P. Friend
Location: The west's most mid-western town, Scottsdale, Arizona

Post by BillD » Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:31 pm

I don't understand about "getting compression right". I can take a WAV file (no compression) and put it into iTunes with Apple lossless compression. Then, I can have iTunes turn it back into a WAV file and compare the two files (original and iTunes expanded) and they are bit-for-bit identical. If that isn't "getting it right", I don't know what is. This compresssion argument is a red herring. We've been living with lossless compressed files since the beginning of people doing backups of their computer data. You don't lose bits with lossless compression. Otherwise, no recovered data from a backup would work.
It should sound like it isn't there!
There is a difference between hearing and listening...
Making life enjoyable through expensive electronics.

OconeeOrange
"Forum Troll"
"Forum Troll"

Post by OconeeOrange » Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:37 pm

Chauss wrote:That is really cool Toy! Digital recording has come a long ways, but I will still hold off until they can get the compression right or even better -get it to the point that no compression is needed at all for recording. That would be audio nirvana.... :D
Actually, the sound for most of us is here now. =D>
I was just talking about me collecting or what the "audiophiles" will haggle over.

Pandora is just incredible in my book. This new toy makes things like that easier to find and play for the masses. Pandora went public last week. The experts say that now the big money like Google and Amazon will move in. I hate that for Pandora (have a paid subscription for years) but I guess competition might be good.

I like it all, just don't need it. I feel the same about Squeezebox which to many here is the cat's ass.
I beleive them. With old age fucking with my brain power, can hardly find the toilet these days - :x

OconeeOrange
"Forum Troll"
"Forum Troll"

Post by OconeeOrange » Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:47 pm

BillD wrote:I don't understand about "getting compression right". I can take a WAV file (no compression) and put it into iTunes with Apple lossless compression. Then, I can have iTunes turn it back into a WAV file and compare the two files (original and iTunes expanded) and they are bit-for-bit identical. If that isn't "getting it right", I don't know what is. This compresssion argument is a red herring. We've been living with lossless compressed files since the beginning of people doing backups of their computer data. You don't lose bits with lossless compression. Otherwise, no recovered data from a backup would work.
Your post was too short.
Compression on our end is not too bad. Compression at the studio is not what a few of us desire. They of course are different animals doing different things.

Compression is not the gorilla in the room - it is bit rate. When they take out the things our (not ToM) ears cannot hear, things are lost. Some believe it is noticeable.
I have many of both. At 320, my system plays well. Below that some, (but not all) tunes either sound like shit or my sub does flips.

I rip all my tunes at Flac at "0" as drive space is very cheap now. Other formats are OK, but Flac has a lot of good compatibility issues, and no one owns it.

Lossless is what it is --

Low bit rate is a different story - ](*,)

Chauss
(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post by Chauss » Sun Jul 10, 2011 7:10 pm

BillD wrote:I don't understand about "getting compression right". I can take a WAV file (no compression) and put it into iTunes with Apple lossless compression. Then, I can have iTunes turn it back into a WAV file and compare the two files (original and iTunes expanded) and they are bit-for-bit identical. If that isn't "getting it right", I don't know what is. This compresssion argument is a red herring. We've been living with lossless compressed files since the beginning of people doing backups of their computer data. You don't lose bits with lossless compression. Otherwise, no recovered data from a backup would work.

You are absolutely correct- I do not debate that fact. I have been in the zero's and one's business for most of my career.
I am saying I will stick with what I have already invested money into until the recording gets better-
You are listening to the same compression that was there to begin with when you were playing the CD. All codecs have compression- some are better than others. I am speaking of comparing recorded in digital format to live music BillD. It is the recording engineers AND the software they are using. You ever notice how new music is getting louder and louder? It is being compressed more and recorded at higher db than 0....

You did not read my post correctly- sorry if I was not clear in my meaning.

That is really cool Toy! Digital recording has come a long ways, but I will still hold off until they can get the compression right or even better -get it to the point that no compression is needed at all for recording. That would be audio nirvana....
Good sound—like good music, good wine and good fellowship—is meant to be shared.
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" Albert Einstein

Toy Maker
Puppet Master

Post by Toy Maker » Sun Jul 10, 2011 7:16 pm

The point of the video was not to show off FLAC or lossless capabilities of the player, but to showcase the functionality and ease of use of iPeng on an iPad.

The lossless vs lossy war will go on forever regardless of the technology. Its no different then the "Cables War" that will NEVER end.
FLAC and wav files are every bit as good as the original CD (if not better)

Chauss
(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post by Chauss » Sun Jul 10, 2011 7:32 pm

No argument there Toy...I was speaking to digital recording as a whole- including the CD.

OconeeOrange
"Forum Troll"
"Forum Troll"

Post by OconeeOrange » Sun Jul 10, 2011 7:50 pm

Chauss wrote:No argument there Toy...I was speaking to digital recording as a whole- including the CD.
DC.jpg
DC.jpg (168.58 KiB) Viewed 3445 times

BillD
R.I.P. Friend
R.I.P. Friend
Location: The west's most mid-western town, Scottsdale, Arizona

Post by BillD » Sun Jul 10, 2011 7:58 pm

Well, maybe that's the rub. Compression is used two ways here. There is audio compression which squishes the signal into a smaller envelope, which is crap that can't be accurately reversed (because you don't know how it was compressed to begin with, unless it was one of the known techniques, like Dolby). Then, there is what I'm talking about, lossless digital compression to save space, which has no effect on the recorded material whatsoever.
It should sound like it isn't there!
There is a difference between hearing and listening...
Making life enjoyable through expensive electronics.

OconeeOrange
"Forum Troll"
"Forum Troll"

Post by OconeeOrange » Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:15 pm

Chauss wrote: You ever notice how new music is getting louder and louder? It is being compressed more and recorded at higher db than 0....
Not just new music -- :lol:

For some time, much has been "compressed" to play loud. Loud sells - =D>

It is true on even LPs.

Finding the "Real" sound is hard as it was seldom released.
Most "masters" are compressed all to hell.

Chauss
(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post by Chauss » Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:21 pm

OconeeOrange wrote:
Chauss wrote:No argument there Toy...I was speaking to digital recording as a whole- including the CD.
DC.jpg
If you guys would just stop and read what I think I thought I said.......jeesh! :lol:

OO??? The argument was over the compression used by recording engineers- not re-recording their junk-
KEYWORD is RECORDING (as in cutting the master)....NOT -RE-RECORDING...(copying)

TNRabbit
R.I.P. Friend
R.I.P. Friend

Post by TNRabbit » Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:16 pm

Chauss wrote:
OconeeOrange wrote:
DC.jpg
If you guys would just stop and read what I think I thought I said.......jeesh! :lol:

OO??? The argument was over the compression used by recording engineers- not re-recording their junk-
KEYWORD is RECORDING (as in cutting the master)....NOT -RE-RECORDING...(copying)
Dan, he's fucking with you~ :lol:
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.

OconeeOrange
"Forum Troll"
"Forum Troll"

Post by OconeeOrange » Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:29 pm

TNRabbit wrote: Dan, he's fucking with you~ :lol:
No, nope -- :lol:

The guy is 6'5" and an ex boxing champ.

(except for his love for the Bull Dogs he is a great guy)

Return to “Squeezebox & iPeng”