How are you liking the sound from your CF tube amp?

hewlew1
"You Fuckin' Fucks"

Re: How are you liking the sound from your CF tube amp?

Post by hewlew1 » Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:58 pm

Well tonight I just used one amp with the sda cable connected. I think it drove The 1C's nicely. I was really surprised to see the difference when I turned on the sonic hallography I closed my eyes and got into the zone I swore I was listening to a sound stange that extended out 180 degrees from both sides of my head talk about cool.
"Carver Audio, why settle for less, just ask my neighbors"
C1,C2,CT3,CT6,CT7/3,CT23,CT26,C4000,The Receiver,M500,M500T/6,M1.5T,TFM24/2,TFM/25/3,TFM35,TFM35X,TFM42/2,DTL200,TDR1700,DPL20,TX11/2, 5.2Center,5.1Sub/3,Original Amazings,Platinum Amazings/2,AL3'S,Polk SDA SRS, Polk SDA 1C's, Polk RTA11's, Polk Monitor 10's/2 ,Monitor 7's, Sunfire 300x2 /5, Sunfire pre, Sunfire MK2 Sub/2, 4 Carverfest monoblocks, Carverfest linestage preamp/2, Mapletree Audio Designs Tube Preamp,Phase Linear Andromeda III speakers, Phase Linear 4000 Preamp, Dahlquist DQ-10's
CERTIFIED AMPLE PLIERS EXPERT
Some of the best fuckings we get during our lifetime come from a relative!
I don't kiss ass, I dont take peoples shit, so dont expect it from me!

F1nut
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by F1nut » Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:02 am

Chauss wrote:Jesse-
He is running currently dual monoblock CarverFest amps so no common ground unless he goes to a single stereo amp.
I see, thanks. No point in running SDA's without connecting the cable.
hewlew1 wrote: I was really surprised to see the difference when I turned on the sonic hallography
SDA and SH = a whole lot of bad sound.
Political Correctness...defined

A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

In a recent press conference, President Obama remarked, "If I had a city, it would look just like Detroit."

treitz3
"Julian"
"Julian"

Post by treitz3 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:07 am

Man, that's the truth. Harry, you never want to run the two together.
In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to a good analogue reproduction.

frenchguy
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by frenchguy » Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:31 am

received the jbl monitors from beemers today & hooked up a pre & my carverfest amp with all new tubes as I had alot go bad at the fest!! everything went great!! no problems!! thanks tom!! melody & I will enjoy our new system thanks to all of you!! good friends & good tunes!! what more could I want!! thank you all again!! \:D/
Carver Silver 7t mono blocks, Carver M-4.0t & 2 tfm 42,s. ct-6 & ct-17, sda390t,TX11 tuner, jolida jd 100A. JBL L96 & JBL 4401,s W/Ribbon Tweeters, Dared SL-2000A tube preamp, Dared MP-5BT Integrated vacuum tube amp, 2 sets of Carver Amazing Silver speakers, oak & black. Carver Cinema 5.1 subwoofer & Tesla audio Carverfest satellite ribbon speakers & stands & Douglas connection cables

AlexSauter
Site Admin

Post by AlexSauter » Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:36 am

How are you liking the sound from your CF tube amp?
If I could keep my tubes in my own amp for more than 10 minutes, I am sure I would love the sound! :lol: :lol:

I will admit, the 5 amps that I have built sound awesome, but the speakers that I am using definitely need a sub-woofer!!
My system (sitting in the garage):

(Stereo System)
Carver Pro PT-1800
Logitech Squeezebox
RCA-Headphone jack for iPod & iPhone

frenchguy
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by frenchguy » Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:38 am

I may need a subwoofer too, but will worry about that later, real happy right now!! :D
Carver Silver 7t mono blocks, Carver M-4.0t & 2 tfm 42,s. ct-6 & ct-17, sda390t,TX11 tuner, jolida jd 100A. JBL L96 & JBL 4401,s W/Ribbon Tweeters, Dared SL-2000A tube preamp, Dared MP-5BT Integrated vacuum tube amp, 2 sets of Carver Amazing Silver speakers, oak & black. Carver Cinema 5.1 subwoofer & Tesla audio Carverfest satellite ribbon speakers & stands & Douglas connection cables

AlexSauter
Site Admin

Post by AlexSauter » Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:37 am

frenchguy wrote:I may need a subwoofer too, but will worry about that later, real happy right now!! :D

Lol, I have one, just too lazy to hook it up... ](*,)
My old Porch system ( monsoon sub that is self powered and powered speaker outputs, Mirage speakers and Kicker iPod/iPhone dock) is being ripped apart and reassembled as a stereo system powered by my CarverFest amp and the outputs on the sub bypassed so that it is a sub only. I can't wait to see what the little speakers and sub sound like when powered by Tubes rather than SS.
My system (sitting in the garage):

(Stereo System)
Carver Pro PT-1800
Logitech Squeezebox
RCA-Headphone jack for iPod & iPhone

Don
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by Don » Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:25 pm

Pulled one of my CF tube amps out of the closet yesterday after dusting it off. Other one is in use in office system. Just for the jazz of it, hooked it up to a pair of Dunlavy 4a's which I was using as CC speakers in my HTR. The Dunlavy's are very sensitive, in the low 90's, if I remember correctly.

Fired them up using a Marantz receiver pre-amp section. Impressive. Bass did not appear as deep as the Sunfire 400 X 7 and a little looser, but soundstage appeared wider. Plenty of volume also from this little gem. Have a set of Mullard's coming next week I will try. Not a tube roller, but these have a very smooth midrange and are a little laid back in the upper register. Dunlavy's are very revealing, but have a tendency to be on the bright side with certain electronics. Also, this CF amp currently has the bottom of the line cheap Chinese tubes.

Anyway, nothing has been posted for a while. Therefore, thought it was about time to relate my experience with the big Dulavy's and the little CF tube amp.

Anyone else using the CF amp on a daily basis?
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.
— Thomas Paine

"Try not to become a man of success, but rather a man of value" Albert Einstein

"Politicians are the only people in the world who create problems and then campaign against them". Charlie Reese

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living." Brad Shurett

"Kindness is a language that the Deaf can hear and the Blind can see." Mark Twain

RIP BILL D. RIP WRABBIT

kingman
(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post by kingman » Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:47 am

Not currently using mine Don but you mentioned ordering some Mullards. I swapped out the Amprex gold pins to Mullards in my Sunfire pre and was talking to Ray about the immediate difference. They add more bass to my speakers without sacrificing top end. After you try them, see if you notice the same .
In reality, it only matters what it sounds like to YOU!!!

BrianT
Pair of Silver Sevens

Post by BrianT » Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:36 am

Don wrote: Anyone else using the CF amp on a daily basis?
Don

I gave my tube CF amp and Lucas line stage to my daughter who lives
in Vancouver, its her only stereo so she has no choice but to use them both daily.

Brian
VPI Classic Turntable (black)
Transfiguration Phoenix Cartridge
Devialet 440PRO Mono Blocks
Audioprana SP/DIF-AES/EBU cable
Auralic Aires G2 Music Server
Audience AU24 USB cable
B&W 803D3 Speakers (black)
Auditorium 23 Speaker Cables
Raysonic CD-168 CDP (silver)
Carver TX11

jjptkd
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by jjptkd » Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:54 am

BrianT wrote:
Don wrote: Anyone else using the CF amp on a daily basis?
Don

I gave my tube CF amp and Lucas line stage to my daughter who lives
in Vancouver, its her only stereo so she has no choice but to use them both daily.

Brian
Damn, lucky girl! I've never heard the CF tube amp but did have a couple of the VTA-20's and they sounded extremely good driving my large Klipsch speakers with 15" woofers. They got surprisingly loud with lots of good tight bass. I actually thought that little tube amp sounded pretty close to the Lightstar amplifier.
Oppo Sonica DAC
Sunfire TG-III
Sunfire 300x2
Klipsch Chorus II

Magnaryder
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by Magnaryder » Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:33 pm

I used mine daily at the office until a power surge took out a power supply....I hope that's all it is [-o<

FWIW they sounded great. I've had them powering my modded Klipsch Forte, Alesis Monitor ones, Cambridge M80s, and the (CarverFest) Sonorous speakers. I also used them to drive my Stax 'phones.

Mine were heavily modded.

ray
Magnaryder

Its going to be used equipment when I sell it, so it may as well be used equipment when I buy it.

"Racing is life, the rest of the time you're just sitting around."-Steve McQueen

Snoop65
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by Snoop65 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:11 pm

It's been a while since I listened to mine but I love it! I might take it to SoundSmith for some parts upgrades. I use Siemens EL84L and GE 5751 tubes in mine.
CARVER LIGHTSTAR REFERENCE+SUNFIRE CLASSIC TUBE PREAMPLIFIER+JBL XPL200+MUSIC HALL MMF-9.1+GRADO REFERENCE MASTER 1+Cayin CDT-17a =WOW!!!!!!

Don
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by Don » Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:50 pm

Don wrote:
Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:25 pm
Pulled one of my CF tube amps out of the closet yesterday after dusting it off. Other one is in use in office system. Just for the jazz of it, hooked it up to a pair of Dunlavy 4a's which I was using as CC speakers in my HTR. The Dunlavy's are very sensitive, in the low 90's, if I remember correctly.

Fired them up using a Marantz receiver pre-amp section. Impressive. Bass did not appear as deep as the Sunfire 400 X 7 and a little looser, but soundstage appeared wider. Plenty of volume also from this little gem. Have a set of Mullard's coming next week I will try. Not a tube roller, but these have a very smooth midrange and are a little laid back in the upper register. Dunlavy's are very revealing, but have a tendency to be on the bright side with certain electronics. Also, this CF amp currently has the bottom of the line cheap Chinese tubes.

Anyway, nothing has been posted for a while. Therefore, thought it was about time to relate my experience with the big Dulavy's and the little CF tube amp.

Anyone else using the CF amp on a daily basis?
OK, it has been a year later. Mullards have been in for almost a year. Pulled little CF amp out of office system and hooked back up to Dunlavy 4 A's which are 92db efficient. Earlier comments re-inforced. However, with the Mullards in the CF tube amp, vocals and midrange are preferred over the Sunfire. They have a lushness the Sunfire does not create. Sound more real and have a smoother presentation (Allan Taylor "Colour to the Moon"). Sax on Dave Brubeck "Take Five" cut is preferred on the CF tube amp. However, the cymbals and snare I prefer on the Sunfire. Their seems to be a little better separation of instruments on the CF tube amp. (Dave Koz cut "You make me Smile" depicted this difference)The bass does not match the Sunfire in both quantity and quality. Also, does not seem as deep. (Cosmic Hippo flushed this out) The very top end also does not appear to be as extended as on the Sunfire. I am using the voltage source by the way. All and all, very impressive with the little CF amp on the efficient big Dunlavy's. None of the differences between the two are night and day at normal sane listening levels. The CF amp also has a little wider and deeper soundstage. However, when I turn up to "Martin" warm up levels, the little CF just runs out of steam and falls apart. Their is no substitute for horsepower. One of these days, will take the time to hook up the Omni Mic and post the difference frequency response between the two amps for the jazz of it.

To sum things up, looking forward for more horsepower with the upcoming CF tube amp build in 2018. Should be an interesting match up vs the Sunfire with more of a level playing field.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.
— Thomas Paine

"Try not to become a man of success, but rather a man of value" Albert Einstein

"Politicians are the only people in the world who create problems and then campaign against them". Charlie Reese

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living." Brad Shurett

"Kindness is a language that the Deaf can hear and the Blind can see." Mark Twain

RIP BILL D. RIP WRABBIT

Magnaryder
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by Magnaryder » Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:52 pm

I was using mine at the office daily, until they suffered a power spike. I had many folks involved in repairing them at the Fest. Bob was kind enough to get them working. Mark, Harry and Mike both had hours in on them too. Harry was gracious to loan me some tubes while we got them straightened out. Thanks guys!

I modded mine rather heavily. Obbligato .1uf caps and Mills resistors in the audio path. Bigger JJ caps in the power supply and more film in the feedback loop. Bob was impressed with the Obbligatos and Mills. We may see some of them in the new amp build. I use mine every other day or so powering my Stax phones. Great sound. I prefer my Hammonds but they got nuked during the spike so I run a set of 1964 Tellys. Very nice.

ray
Magnaryder

Its going to be used equipment when I sell it, so it may as well be used equipment when I buy it.

"Racing is life, the rest of the time you're just sitting around."-Steve McQueen

Return to “CarverFest 20w Tube Amp”