5 OR MORE - CONTACT ME VIA PM.
No votes

Total votes: 24

bsturgeon89
TFM-55

Re: Bob Carver's "CarverFest" 20w Tube Amplifier

Post by bsturgeon89 » Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:27 pm

Chauss wrote:
treitz3 wrote:Hey Don, sorry, I must have missed this post. Extra hands and a thing of tip tinner would definitely come in handy. We have about 4 tables so far, we could use about two more, FYI. Even if it's just a card table or something.
I am bringing a folding table large enough for 2...(my son's beer pong table) :lol:
I have 3 tables that I'm bringing.
Carverfest 2010 quote...I can't explain it right now, I'm drunk...

GO BUCKEYES

Don
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by Don » Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:13 pm

treitz3 wrote:Hey Don, sorry, I must have missed this post. Extra hands and a thing of tip tinner would definitely come in handy. We have about 4 tables so far, we could use about two more, FYI. Even if it's just a card table or something.

Tom,

No need to apologize. Limited space for me driving auto with Terri and Matt's new wife aboard. I anticipate numerous suitcases, to say the least, not to mention dozens of shoes and purses. ](*,) ](*,) My plan is to pack my vintage college system first and work from there. :-k However, that plan is subject to get torpedoed. :(

Hopefully there will be enough tables. Floor will not be doable for us that have bad backs.

Thanks Brock for bringing tables.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.
— Thomas Paine

"Try not to become a man of success, but rather a man of value" Albert Einstein

"Politicians are the only people in the world who create problems and then campaign against them". Charlie Reese

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living." Brad Shurett

"Kindness is a language that the Deaf can hear and the Blind can see." Mark Twain

RIP BILL D. RIP WRABBIT

OconeeOrange
"Forum Troll"
"Forum Troll"

Post by OconeeOrange » Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:14 pm

Being as repetitive as a broken record, what speakers will these be driving for yall?

If I can get a pair built that work, I bet they would sound good with my Polk VM 30s or VM 20s and a powered sub as they they are not power hungry. http://www.polkaudio.com/homeaudio/vm/specs.php

These POLK speakers are a little bright for a few, but I like that as opposed to the POLK LSi line. I guess it could be my old ears prefer that sparkle now. :?

Right now the VM 20s are not hooked up and the VM 30s are powered by a 400t which really make them rock.

radioeng2
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by radioeng2 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:05 pm

Tom,

I have cornered for sure, one 6ft solid plastic tables. It'll do two people well, a third in the center opposite side in a pinch. I think I've got 3 folding chairs that'll work well too. I am going to do a little scouting for anything else table/chair wise.

Just running the numbers, if we have 20 builders, and put 3 at each table we have to have about 7 6ft tables! Card table size might do two.

I would recommend people bring carpet squares, or something similar, to work with the chassis on. You'll feel a lot better flipping that pretty chassis around on something soft. Also, Lowes and probably others, sell the black non-slip stuff for the bottom of tool drawers in pretty good sized rolls. That stuff works really well too. It's in the tool section around the tool boxes.

Power distribution is a concern. I can bring several longer ext cables and maybe a few medium sized that should help a lot. Anybody with one of the style that pull off an enclosed reel type should absolutely bring it. I love them as you don't have to pull out any more than you need and you get 4 plugs on them. With what I have for cords, we should be able to bring power in from a ways away (get more circuits), and cover at least 5-6 tables with some power strips provided by others.

Since I don't know what kind of lighting we'll have (working in a chassis is different than setting around listening to music, sippin' beer), I'm wondering about desk lamps of the kind without shades to get in the way. The type with the covered bulb that shines light down. People like me that can't see for shit, might need such!

Another thing I've been wanting to throw out there...folks, building an amp completely in one day is very amazingly fast!! We need to be organized and then keep in mind through the day to keep things moving and try not to slow down the procedings. I'd suspect some folks might be pretty screwed if you go home with a half built amp!! Everybody being mindful of the time frame will be a really good thing for all.

Mark
I was there "At the Fest!" Hope you were too!

OconeeOrange
"Forum Troll"
"Forum Troll"

Post by OconeeOrange » Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:53 pm

radioeng2 wrote:Tom,

I have cornered for sure, one 6ft solid plastic tables. It'll do two people well, a third in the center opposite side in a pinch. I think I've got 3 folding chairs that'll work well too. I am going to do a little scouting for anything else table/chair wise.

Just running the numbers, if we have 20 builders, and put 3 at each table we have to have about 7 6ft tables! Card table size might do two.

I would recommend people bring carpet squares, or something similar, to work with the chassis on. You'll feel a lot better flipping that pretty chassis around on something soft. Also, Lowes and probably others, sell the black non-slip stuff for the bottom of tool drawers in pretty good sized rolls. That stuff works really well too. It's in the tool section around the tool boxes.

Power distribution is a concern. I can bring several longer ext cables and maybe a few medium sized that should help a lot. Anybody with one of the style that pull off an enclosed reel type should absolutely bring it. I love them as you don't have to pull out any more than you need and you get 4 plugs on them. With what I have for cords, we should be able to bring power in from a ways away (get more circuits), and cover at least 5-6 tables with some power strips provided by others.

Since I don't know what kind of lighting we'll have (working in a chassis is different than setting around listening to music, sippin' beer), I'm wondering about desk lamps of the kind without shades to get in the way. The type with the covered bulb that shines light down. People like me that can't see for shit, might need such!

Another thing I've been wanting to throw out there...folks, building an amp completely in one day is very amazingly fast!! We need to be organized and then keep in mind through the day to keep things moving and try not to slow down the procedings. I'd suspect some folks might be pretty screwed if you go home with a half built amp!! Everybody being mindful of the time frame will be a really good thing for all.

Mark
Thanks,
Damned what a great post for a guy like me. I am a novice. I have read along with this post and tried to acquire whatever so as not to be a bother. Many will probably laugh at all my junk, but I am trying, including the soldering video/practice.
I have no tables to bring, but will pick up some of that tool drawer rubber from Lowes to share. I can bring a couple power strips.

As to lighting, as guys get old, a few of us retain excellent vision, but it is less in dark. Drug store glasses work well for me. I have a couple tensor lamps I will bring, and this might be silly, but ordered 3 of these ->
don.jpg
don.jpg (49.86 KiB) Viewed 2540 times
They are not in yet, so I can't comment. It is a two hand holder for the board with LED and Magnifier - :lol: It might be junk. #-o

Already traded one to Don for power switches, but have one more (if they arrive in time).
First geezer (over 40) who asks can have it for the promise of a cold beer on Friday night.

"I'd suspect some folks might be pretty screwed if you go home with a half built amp!! Everybody being mindful of the time frame will be a really good thing for all."
I agree. I beleive if I can get one built, I can learn/remember and do the other one at home using that one and my memory as a guide. I suspect the "home" ones will come out better as I can call for help and have more time on it, plus I know for a fact that Wayne (20 miles up the road) will work for beer.

I might fuck it all up, but I am really excited about this, and leaving no discovered stone unturned..

mbskeam
(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post by mbskeam » Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:39 pm

I kinda think it will be a paint by the numbers sort of thing.
one part at a time, moving on to the next,...etc....
with those less adept at soldering getting help from those that are.

leave no man behind.....

or we could do an assembly line type of setup,...
But alas, I think this would take the fun outa whos amp goes....

POOF...... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Mbskeam

SILVER 7's
Amazing Line Source
2 SVS PB16 SUBS
#1 BLACK BEAUTY's made by the man, the myth, the legend Bob Carver
CARVER: TFM-75, TFM-45(3), SD/A-490T
SUNFIRE: Tube pre
WTL Amadeus GTA+DV DRT XV-1t
2 sets of ALS'3, set of SILVERS, set of PLATS
AUDIOCONTROL: phase coupled activator
KENWOOD: BASIC M2a (2)

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”
― Aristophanes

The only thing I'll feel......will be the RECOIL
Necronomicon Ex-Mortis....... Klaatu Barada Nikkto
"We should seek the greatest value of our action"

DaveS
The OverLord of CarverAudio.com

Post by DaveS » Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:53 pm

ME!!!!!!!! I'll take it.
The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests”.
- Patrick Henry

OconeeOrange
"Forum Troll"
"Forum Troll"

Post by OconeeOrange » Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:06 pm

DaveS wrote:ME!!!!!!!! I'll take it.
DAVE-S.gif
DAVE-S.gif (94.37 KiB) Viewed 2527 times

treitz3
"Julian"
"Julian"

Post by treitz3 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:48 pm

OconeeOrange wrote:I have a couple tensor lamps I will bring, and this might be silly, but ordered 3 of these...They are not in yet, so I can't comment. It is a two hand holder for the board with LED and Magnifier - :lol: It might be junk. #-o
That's definitely not silly, Bill. It's actually right up our alley. That is actually a perfect product to help folks out. Good job! =D>

As for the tables, I think we have them covered. More is always better than not enough but including the huge dining room table, your six footer, my 8 footer and Brocks three tables, I think we should be alright. Gotta remember, some of the amps will already be built and those folks will not need to sit down unless they are helping other folks with their amp.

I am bringing one 3 tap 20 or 30 amp 50 ft extension cord with me. I have another 25 foot one but it is in use for the wife's TV/entertainment area. If I bring that one, I may not come home to a wife so I think it's safe to say that I will only bring one.

As for the speakers that will be hooked up to this amp? The VM20's or 30's would pair well with these little amps. Jerry is bringing a set of DCM Time Window bookies that these should sound fantastic with. I might bring a little set of crappy Realistic or RCA speakers just to hear what they would sound like. The only other speaker that I know of would be George's Tyler Acoustic speakers but they are 4 ohm speakers and I don't know if these tube amps are rated for a 4 ohm load or not. If they are, then the possible speakers we can use just multiplied extensively. Hell, if they are rated for 6 ohms, we can hook them up to Bob's new line arrays. =D> Wouldn't that be a treat? 8)
In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to a good analogue reproduction.

radioeng2
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by radioeng2 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:16 pm

If the cabin's kitchen table is used, I would sure find something to throw over it! It is SO. SO easy to have an iron flip down into the surface you're working on and not know it until you smell something! Every work bench has solder burns in it for that reason!

I remember a guy showing his brand new work bench with specific places for all the specialized test equipment, power every place needed and all kinds of nice features. When the proud ower was turned the other way, another guy grabbed an iron and put a big ol' burn in it for him and said "there you go....got it over with!" An ass he was...but it's true!

I shudder to think of the cost of one of those tables!
I was there "At the Fest!" Hope you were too!

treitz3
"Julian"
"Julian"

burnin' down the house....

Post by treitz3 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:24 pm

Hmmm, good point Mark. Maybe we can snag some kitchen pans or something to protect it. Either that or have only the experienced on the DR table. We'll have to think of something with that because as you know, aluminum foil will not work. Can you think of a cheap, disposable, flame resistant type mat? I'm pretty tired right now and I'm drawing a complete blank.
In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to a good analogue reproduction.

Chauss
(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post by Chauss » Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:29 pm

Cardboard would be better than nothing!
Good sound—like good music, good wine and good fellowship—is meant to be shared.
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" Albert Einstein

treitz3
"Julian"
"Julian"

burnin' down the house....

Post by treitz3 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:42 pm

We'll have PLENTY of cardboard there, without a doubt. As a last resort, we could use that to protect the tables. I'm thinkin' more in line of a rubber mat. Kinda like a cheap, rubber doormat or something.

OconeeOrange
"Forum Troll"
"Forum Troll"

Post by OconeeOrange » Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:00 pm

OconeeOrange wrote: I have no tables to bring, but will pick up some of that tool drawer rubber from Lowes to share.
#-o

treitz3
"Julian"
"Julian"

Post by treitz3 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:08 pm

Bill, that's a different compound of rubber than I'm thinking about.

Return to “CarverFest 20w Tube Amp”