FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:41 pm

Tubes for CarverFest 11 Tube Amp

<<

Chauss

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:34 pm

Tubes for CarverFest 11 Tube Amp

Had a runaway tube as soon as I plugged in the amp to give it a play- For the EL84's I got the new "reissue" Mullards made in Russia- should be here tomorrow. Will post results upon listening. Here is a link with options for those that need these toobz! :D

http://www.tubedepot.com/el846bq5.html
Good sound—like good music, good wine and good fellowship—is meant to be shared.
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" Albert Einstein
<<

OconeeOrange

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:08 pm

Re: Tubes for CarverFest 11 Tube Amp

There were not enough good tubes at the fest. I got none. :(
I had these there: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003X5MUDE
Bob was interested, tested them and said they were strong. He also liked them because they look so good. He told me it was a good choice. =D>

Here is a buy on the others : http://thetubestore.com/nos-6ax7.html

Bob also said he would look into tubes and later recommend some tubes in the $7 range.

Mike is building my amps, and I am going with the JJs and maybe the above 6AX7 if nothing better shows up.
<<

engtaz

"TAZ"

Post Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:24 pm

Bob talked highly of Electro-Harmonix tubes
engtaz

Carver M4.0T in front channels to Caver AL VI's in SACD & 2 Channel setup
C 16, PT 2400, Slim Device, Carver TX-8, 490T and Rega TT w Grado Gold cart in the 2 channel setup
Bogen SRB20 is computer amp
Carver PM-350 donated for youth church use
<<

tinpan

TFM-45

Post Thu Sep 22, 2011 2:53 pm

I like the JJ's in my AN set up.
Tinpan

HT - Sunfire TG IV, Sunfire Cinema Grand Sig. 400 x 5, Oppo 93, Klipsch LaScala (3), Cornwalls (2), SW-12, Sony 60" LCD

2 channel - AN L2 Pre-amp, AN Interstage Mono Blocks 300b PSE, AN 2.1 DAC, Oppo DV-981HD, Lowther PM4a/Azurahorn/SentryIV

2 channel - AN L3 Signature Line stage, AN Interstage Mono Blocks 300b PSE, AN Sig. DAC 3.1 , AN Sig. Phono Stage, Sota Comet TT, Altec A5's

2 channel - empty, Klipschorns

2 channel - Audio Note Kit 1 300b SET, Audio Note DAC 2.1, Altec A4's
<<

treitz3

"Julian"
"Julian"

Post Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:54 pm

It's a comin'

I'm with ya', Bill. 2 amps and not one tube. ](*,)

I have a feeling this thread will be a long one as folks try different flavors of tubes in the amps. I look forward to hearing some suggestions. So far, all I have heard is Mullards sound pretty good but I don't know for which application they were referring too when I heard this.
In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to a good analogue reproduction.

Robert R. - "Did you see my North Korea analogy? I should have named it Carversite.kim"
<<

Toy Maker

Puppet Master

Post Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:09 pm

Hell, I BUILT the amps, and I walked away with "0" tubes ](*,)
Whatever you do in life will be insignificant, but it's very important that you do it 'cause nobody else will

‎~You think Einstein walked around thinkin' everyone was a bunch of dumb shits?~

SHUT UP AND ENJOY THE MUSIC!
╭∩╮(︶︿︶)╭∩╮
<<

AlexSauter

Site Admin

Post Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:30 pm

While at the Fest Jerry gave me some Hammond Amprex (spell check) tubes, when I asked Bob about the 40-50 year old tubes, he said, "those are my favorite!!" apparently, he had a small stash of them that he brought with him for testing, but they got lost in the 5 day mess of a build.... Someone, or a few people were lucky enough to get Bob's secret stash of tubes!
RIP BillD
BillD wrote:Well, some people are glass half empty people and some are glass half full. Being an engineer, I just think the glass is the wrong size.

My system (sitting in the garage):

(Stereo System)
Modified Carver AL III+'s (Pushed into the corners to make room for the ALS speakers)
Modified CarverFest 2011 20w tube amplifier
Carver Pro PT-1800
Sunfire Prototype TGA-2375
Carver TX-2 Tuner (not used)
Logitech Squeezebox (replaced Tuner & dad's CD player)
CARVERaudio Directional RCA interconnects
RCA-Headphone jack for iPod & iPhone
<<

hewlew1

"You Fuckin' Fucks"

Post Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:34 pm

Dan, Just a question . Did you install the zener diodes in the biasing network . If so you need to snip them out or snip one end and see if they are shorted as this could be the cause of the tube going cherry red.
"Carver Audio, why settle for less, just ask my neighbors"
C1,C2,CT3,CT6,CT7/3,CT23,CT26,C4000,The Receiver,M500,M500T/6,M1.5T,TFM24/2,TFM/25/2,TFM35,TFM35X,TFM/42,DTL200,TDR1700,DPL20,TX11,5.2Center,5.1Sub/3,Original Amazings,Platinum Amazings/2,AL3'S,Polk SDA SRS, Polk SDA 1C's, Polk RTA11's, Polk Monitor 10's,Monitor 7's, Sunfire 300x2 /5, Sunfire pre, Sunfire MK2 Sub, 4 Carverfest monoblocks, Mapletree Audio Designs Tube Preamp,Phase Linear Andromeda III speakers, Phase Linear 4000 Preamp, Dahlquist DQ-10's
CERTIFIED AMPLE PLIERS EXPERT
Some of the best fuckings we get during our lifetime will come from a relative!
I don't kiss ass and I dont take peoples shit, so dont expect it from me!
<<

treitz3

"Julian"
"Julian"

Post Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:35 pm

Not cool.

AlexSauter wrote:While at the Fest Jerry gave me some Hammond Amprex (spell check) tubes, when I asked Bob about the 40-50 year old tubes, he said, "those are my favorite!!" apparently, he had a small stash of them that he brought with him for testing, but they got lost in the 5 day mess of a build.... Someone, or a few people were lucky enough to get Bob's secret stash of tubes!
Whoever has them, they need to be returned to Bob.
In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to a good analogue reproduction.

Robert R. - "Did you see my North Korea analogy? I should have named it Carversite.kim"
<<

BillD

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Location: The west's most mid-western town, Scottsdale, Arizona

Post Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:49 pm

Those are some good tubes.
It should sound like it isn't there!
There is a difference between hearing and listening...
Making life enjoyable through expensive electronics.

Chauss

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:49 pm

hewlew1 wrote:Dan, Just a question . Did you install the zener diodes in the biasing network . If so you need to snip them out or snip one end and see if they are shorted as this could be the cause of the tube going cherry red.

Thanks Harry- I do not think I added the diodes, by the time I got to that phase Bob had already decided they were not necessary. Roy helped with the network portion so I will have to double check to make sure... I think it was just a bad tube. I was helping test the tubes and it seemed like 1 of 7 were bad-give or take.
Good sound—like good music, good wine and good fellowship—is meant to be shared.
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" Albert Einstein
<<

Chauss

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:57 am

I popped the Mullard reissues in this morning and fired it up.......GREAT TUBES for a GREAT AMP! This little puppy is amazing to say the least!!! A little TOO good for an office system.....can't get any work done while the system is playing, but I don't want to turn it off!!! :D
<<

AlexSauter

Site Admin

Post Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:04 am

Chauss wrote:can't get any work done while the system is playing, but I don't want to turn it off!!! :D

Have to sacrifice something, don't let it be the music!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
RIP BillD
BillD wrote:Well, some people are glass half empty people and some are glass half full. Being an engineer, I just think the glass is the wrong size.

My system (sitting in the garage):

(Stereo System)
Modified Carver AL III+'s (Pushed into the corners to make room for the ALS speakers)
Modified CarverFest 2011 20w tube amplifier
Carver Pro PT-1800
Sunfire Prototype TGA-2375
Carver TX-2 Tuner (not used)
Logitech Squeezebox (replaced Tuner & dad's CD player)
CARVERaudio Directional RCA interconnects
RCA-Headphone jack for iPod & iPhone
<<

hewlew1

"You Fuckin' Fucks"

Post Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:18 am

Good for you Dan, HAPPY LISTENING
"Carver Audio, why settle for less, just ask my neighbors"
C1,C2,CT3,CT6,CT7/3,CT23,CT26,C4000,The Receiver,M500,M500T/6,M1.5T,TFM24/2,TFM/25/2,TFM35,TFM35X,TFM/42,DTL200,TDR1700,DPL20,TX11,5.2Center,5.1Sub/3,Original Amazings,Platinum Amazings/2,AL3'S,Polk SDA SRS, Polk SDA 1C's, Polk RTA11's, Polk Monitor 10's,Monitor 7's, Sunfire 300x2 /5, Sunfire pre, Sunfire MK2 Sub, 4 Carverfest monoblocks, Mapletree Audio Designs Tube Preamp,Phase Linear Andromeda III speakers, Phase Linear 4000 Preamp, Dahlquist DQ-10's
CERTIFIED AMPLE PLIERS EXPERT
Some of the best fuckings we get during our lifetime will come from a relative!
I don't kiss ass and I dont take peoples shit, so dont expect it from me!
<<

treitz3

"Julian"
"Julian"

Post Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:34 pm

Re: Not cool.

AlexSauter wrote:While at the Fest Jerry gave me some Hammond Amprex (spell check) tubes, when I asked Bob about the 40-50 year old tubes, he said, "those are my favorite!!" apparently, he had a small stash of them that he brought with him for testing, but they got lost in the 5 day mess of a build.... Someone, or a few people were lucky enough to get Bob's secret stash of tubes!
treitz3 wrote:Whoever has them, they need to be returned to Bob.
Alright, folks.....please take the time to check what tubes you have. If you find them, please let us know. These are Bob's, not yours.

There is no harm, no foul as the tube build was pure discombobulation [concerning parts] at best. Point being, these belong to Bob and collectively we need to get them back to him.

Next

Return to CarverFest 20w Tube Amp