FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:44 pm

Tubes for CarverFest 11 Tube Amp

<<

OconeeOrange

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:41 pm

Re: Tubes for CarverFest 11 Tube Amp

Did not leave with any tubes -- Bob owes me 24 tubes.
<<

treitz3

"Julian"
"Julian"

Post Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:53 pm

Yeah, I hear ya'. I'm in the same boat, Bill. I tend to look at it like this, though....he offered a custom, one of a kind KILLER sounding tube amp at pennies on the dollar as well as his time to help build and check said amp. If it's missing the low cost, common tubes that he was gonna provide? Eh, not an issue to me. Shit happens, as you know and even experienced at your first CF.

I wasn't gonna use them anyway. For me? Tube rolling is where it's at. I wish you had heard Jerry's Dalquist's.
In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to a good analogue reproduction.

Robert R. - "Did you see my North Korea analogy? I should have named it Carversite.kim"
<<

treitz3

"Julian"
"Julian"

Post Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:09 pm

AlexSauter wrote:While at the Fest Jerry gave me some Hammond Amprex (spell check) tubes, when I asked Bob about the 40-50 year old tubes, he said, "those are my favorite!!" apparently, he had a small stash of them that he brought with him for testing, but they got lost in the 5 day mess of a build.... Someone, or a few people were lucky enough to get Bob's secret stash of tubes!
Alex, does anybody have a description of them? We may have found at least some of them behind the scenes. I just want to know what it is we are looking for. Thanks bub.
In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to a good analogue reproduction.

Robert R. - "Did you see my North Korea analogy? I should have named it Carversite.kim"
<<

BillD

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Location: The west's most mid-western town, Scottsdale, Arizona

Post Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:14 pm

He's probably looking for something like THESE
It should sound like it isn't there!
There is a difference between hearing and listening...
Making life enjoyable through expensive electronics.

Chauss

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:20 pm

MADE in Holland should be a dead giveaway!
Good sound—like good music, good wine and good fellowship—is meant to be shared.
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" Albert Einstein
<<

AlexSauter

Site Admin

Post Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:46 pm

Re: Not cool.

treitz3 wrote:
AlexSauter wrote:While at the Fest Jerry gave me some Hammond Amprex (spell check) tubes, when I asked Bob about the 40-50 year old tubes, he said, "those are my favorite!!" apparently, he had a small stash of them that he brought with him for testing, but they got lost in the 5 day mess of a build.... Someone, or a few people were lucky enough to get Bob's secret stash of tubes!
treitz3 wrote:Whoever has them, they need to be returned to Bob.
Alright, folks.....please take the time to check what tubes you have. If you find them, please let us know. These are Bob's, not yours.

There is no harm, no foul as the tube build was pure discombobulation [concerning parts] at best. Point being, these belong to Bob and collectively we need to get them back to him.

Don't sweat it guys, Bob said not to worry about it, I was just pointing out that they went missing.
RIP BillD
BillD wrote:Well, some people are glass half empty people and some are glass half full. Being an engineer, I just think the glass is the wrong size.

My system (sitting in the garage):

(Stereo System)
Modified Carver AL III+'s (Pushed into the corners to make room for the ALS speakers)
Modified CarverFest 2011 20w tube amplifier
Carver Pro PT-1800
Sunfire Prototype TGA-2375
Carver TX-2 Tuner (not used)
Logitech Squeezebox (replaced Tuner & dad's CD player)
CARVERaudio Directional RCA interconnects
RCA-Headphone jack for iPod & iPhone
<<

treitz3

"Julian"
"Julian"

Post Sat Sep 24, 2011 1:48 pm

Well, that goes against the spirit of CF. With all that Bob has done for us, the least we could do is return what is not ours and give him back his private stash. We may have found at least some of them. Just need a better description of what it is we are looking for is all.

<<

Zoot Horn

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Sat Sep 24, 2011 1:56 pm

Russian tubes in mine--but I just rolled some old RCA blackplates in mine,and I gotta tell you,,the detail,seperation and vocals are to die for.Man,,what a sweet amp,,amazing to say the least.
<<

angelod307

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Sat Sep 24, 2011 2:03 pm

just like many, i am short tubes for six amps. like tom, the tubes were bonus from bob. so if those of us that are gonna roll the tubes, i would be happy to pay for some postage for the russian tubes that rolled out.
CarverFest: I just go for the arts and crafts
<<

Zoot Horn

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Sat Sep 24, 2011 3:31 pm

shoot me a pm--i'll send you my russkies--all 4 of em
<<

Mr. M-500t

Post Sat Sep 24, 2011 5:55 pm

Zoot Horn wrote:Russian tubes in mine--but I just rolled some old RCA blackplates in mine,and I gotta tell you,,the detail,seperation and vocals are to die for.Man,,what a I'm far too lazy to make any kind of meaningful post, So I will just go ahead and post my 2523rd "SWEET" post here. amp,,amazing to say the least.

That's what I use in my little preamp. (RCA BP) They sound better than anything else I've tried !
<<

Zoot Horn

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Sat Sep 24, 2011 6:11 pm

angelod307 wrote:just like many, i am short tubes for six amps. like tom, the tubes were bonus from bob. so if those of us that are gonna roll the tubes, i would be happy to pay for some postage for the russian tubes that rolled out.

I'll get em out early next week.
<<

Zoot Horn

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Sun Sep 25, 2011 7:19 am

Hey,, what is the official input tubes for the amp? I'm wondering if a substitute can be used?
<<

treitz3

"Julian"
"Julian"

Post Sun Sep 25, 2011 7:31 am

You can substitute the 6AX7 with a 12AX7 with some minor under the hood changes. It will, however [according to Bob] make the noise floor higher. I'll post a diagram Bob gave me as soon as I unpack the camera.

Actually, you do not need the diagram. Looks like one minor change. Just short pins 4 and 5 together to give the tube 12v. Change it back for the 6v variants.

<<

kingman

Post Sun Sep 25, 2011 7:37 am

I wish you had heard Jerry's Dalquist's
What was your opinion of them Tom? :-s
In reality, it only matters what it sounds like to YOU!!!
PreviousNext

Return to CarverFest 20w Tube Amp