Turning a Stereo CarverFest 20w Tube Amp into a Mono Block

User avatar
AlexSauter
Site Admin
Posts: 614
Joined: Sun Apr 13, 2008 5:41 pm
Location: Fort Myers FL
Contact:

Re: Turning a Stereo CarverFest 20w Tube Amp into a Mono Blo

Post by AlexSauter » Fri Sep 23, 2011 2:07 pm

Don wrote: By the way, the extra RCA outputs, are those for a sub out? :-k If so, did you just jumper over from the other RCA's? :-k
Yes they are Don, and yes they are, Bob said they could be used for a sub out or an additional input, he said it didn't really matter.
My system (sitting in the garage):

(Stereo System)
Carver Pro PT-1800
Logitech Squeezebox
RCA-Headphone jack for iPod & iPhone

User avatar
Don
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP
Posts: 2645
Joined: Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:46 am

Re: Turning a Stereo CarverFest 20w Tube Amp into a Mono Blo

Post by Don » Fri Sep 23, 2011 2:10 pm

AlexSauter wrote:
Don wrote: By the way, the extra RCA outputs, are those for a sub out? :-k If so, did you just jumper over from the other RCA's? :-k
Yes they are Don, and yes they are, Bob said they could be used for a sub out or an additional input, he said it didn't really matter.

Alex,

I believe I have 4 extra RCA jacks laying around here, can I mail them to you to mount in the two amps you are building for Matt and I?
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.
— Thomas Paine


"Try not to become a man of success, but rather a man of value" Albert Einstein

"Politicians are the only people in the world who create problems and then campaign against them". Charlie Reese

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living." Brad Shurett


"Kindness is a language that the Deaf can hear and the Blind can see." Mark Twain

RIP BILL D. RIP WRABBIT

User avatar
AlexSauter
Site Admin
Posts: 614
Joined: Sun Apr 13, 2008 5:41 pm
Location: Fort Myers FL
Contact:

Re: Turning a Stereo CarverFest 20w Tube Amp into a Mono Blo

Post by AlexSauter » Fri Sep 23, 2011 2:12 pm

Don wrote:
AlexSauter wrote:
Don wrote: By the way, the extra RCA outputs, are those for a sub out? :-k If so, did you just jumper over from the other RCA's? :-k
Yes they are Don, and yes they are, Bob said they could be used for a sub out or an additional input, he said it didn't really matter.

Alex,

I believe I have 4 extra RCA jacks laying around here, can I mail them to you to mount in the two amps you are building for Matt and I?

Sounds good, I will PM you my address.
My system (sitting in the garage):

(Stereo System)
Carver Pro PT-1800
Logitech Squeezebox
RCA-Headphone jack for iPod & iPhone

User avatar
Don
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP
Posts: 2645
Joined: Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:46 am

Re: Turning a Stereo CarverFest 20w Tube Amp into a Mono Blo

Post by Don » Fri Sep 23, 2011 2:13 pm

Thanks Alex.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.
— Thomas Paine


"Try not to become a man of success, but rather a man of value" Albert Einstein

"Politicians are the only people in the world who create problems and then campaign against them". Charlie Reese

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living." Brad Shurett


"Kindness is a language that the Deaf can hear and the Blind can see." Mark Twain

RIP BILL D. RIP WRABBIT

User avatar
AlexSauter
Site Admin
Posts: 614
Joined: Sun Apr 13, 2008 5:41 pm
Location: Fort Myers FL
Contact:

Re: Turning a Stereo CarverFest 20w Tube Amp into a Mono Blo

Post by AlexSauter » Fri Sep 23, 2011 2:16 pm

Don wrote:Thanks Alex.

No problem Don!
My system (sitting in the garage):

(Stereo System)
Carver Pro PT-1800
Logitech Squeezebox
RCA-Headphone jack for iPod & iPhone

User avatar
Martin1970
TFM-35
Posts: 462
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2010 5:44 pm
Location: Savannah, GA
Contact:

Re: Turning a Stereo CarverFest 20w Tube Amp into a Mono Blo

Post by Martin1970 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:28 pm

You can also parallel additional amps the same way to double the power output to 80W.

Another thing, you might not want to run subwoofers with these as the response rolls off before you get to subsonics.
Carverfest 10: Celebrating the life of our TNRabbit

User avatar
AlexSauter
Site Admin
Posts: 614
Joined: Sun Apr 13, 2008 5:41 pm
Location: Fort Myers FL
Contact:

Re: Turning a Stereo CarverFest 20w Tube Amp into a Mono Blo

Post by AlexSauter » Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:24 pm

Martin1970 wrote:You can also parallel additional amps the same way to double the power output to 80W.

We asked Bob about that on Monday morning before he left, and he said that was a bad idea... The second transformer can't handle the current, or something of that nature... (I don't speak Bob well)
My system (sitting in the garage):

(Stereo System)
Carver Pro PT-1800
Logitech Squeezebox
RCA-Headphone jack for iPod & iPhone

User avatar
Martin1970
TFM-35
Posts: 462
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2010 5:44 pm
Location: Savannah, GA
Contact:

Re: Turning a Stereo CarverFest 20w Tube Amp into a Mono Blo

Post by Martin1970 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:31 pm

AlexSauter wrote:
Martin1970 wrote:You can also parallel additional amps the same way to double the power output to 80W.

We asked Bob about that on Monday morning before he left, and he said that was a bad idea... The second transformer can't handle the current, or something of that nature... (I don't speak Bob well)
Weird, he told me the opposite. It was late though. Best to err on the side of caution.
Carverfest 10: Celebrating the life of our TNRabbit

User avatar
Don
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP
Posts: 2645
Joined: Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:46 am

Re: Turning a Stereo CarverFest 20w Tube Amp into a Mono Blo

Post by Don » Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:35 pm

Martin1970 wrote:
AlexSauter wrote:
Martin1970 wrote:You can also parallel additional amps the same way to double the power output to 80W.

We asked Bob about that on Monday morning before he left, and he said that was a bad idea... The second transformer can't handle the current, or something of that nature... (I don't speak Bob well)
Weird, he told me the opposite. It was late though. Best to err on the side of caution.
Martin,


Did he tell you that when he had that Clemson wrap over a glass of homemade wine Double O made? :lol: :lol: :lol:
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.
— Thomas Paine


"Try not to become a man of success, but rather a man of value" Albert Einstein

"Politicians are the only people in the world who create problems and then campaign against them". Charlie Reese

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living." Brad Shurett


"Kindness is a language that the Deaf can hear and the Blind can see." Mark Twain

RIP BILL D. RIP WRABBIT

User avatar
Martin1970
TFM-35
Posts: 462
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2010 5:44 pm
Location: Savannah, GA
Contact:

Re: Turning a Stereo CarverFest 20w Tube Amp into a Mono Blo

Post by Martin1970 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:43 pm

Don wrote: Martin,


Did he tell you that when he had that Clemson wrap over a glass of homemade wine Double O made? :lol: :lol: :lol:
No, but he was way into his second or third brownie at Chateau Ohm Walsh. Damn, those things were good, they could easily affect brain function. Oh, and the speakers sounded spectacular too.
Carverfest 10: Celebrating the life of our TNRabbit

User avatar
Chauss
(pair of) SILVER-7t's
Posts: 2180
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:35 pm
Location: In my own little world.....

Re: Turning a Stereo CarverFest 20w Tube Amp into a Mono Blo

Post by Chauss » Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:57 pm

I bet OO's wine would have went NICE with those brownies! :D
Image
Good sound—like good music, good wine and good fellowship—is meant to be shared.
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" Albert Einstein

User avatar
Martin1970
TFM-35
Posts: 462
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2010 5:44 pm
Location: Savannah, GA
Contact:

Re: Turning a Stereo CarverFest 20w Tube Amp into a Mono Blo

Post by Martin1970 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:00 pm

Chauss wrote:I bet OO's wine would have went NICE with those brownies! :D
Stop it! You're making me miss Carverfest already.
Carverfest 10: Celebrating the life of our TNRabbit

angelod307
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP
Posts: 2654
Joined: Sat Jun 06, 2009 10:56 pm
Location: manning, sc

Re: Turning a Stereo CarverFest 20w Tube Amp into a Mono Blo

Post by angelod307 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:21 pm

Toy Maker wrote:
Chauss wrote:I just LOVE your pink Y cable fella... :lol:
Number 1 it's MY connector. And number 2, it's purple. Not pink.
What, you think I'm some kind of fag.....

Learn how to use your cameras flash better.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

how many options are there for the fag criteria? i want to pick the right one you know....haha..
CarverFest: I just go for the arts and crafts

User avatar
kingman
(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs
Posts: 6381
Joined: Sun Nov 30, 2008 2:10 pm
Location: Upstate South Carolina

Re: Turning a Stereo CarverFest 20w Tube Amp into a Mono Blo

Post by kingman » Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:26 pm

Did he tell you that when he had that Clemson wrap over a glass of homemade wine Double O made?
...GO TIGERS!!!!!
In reality, it only matters what it sounds like to YOU!!!

User avatar
Chauss
(pair of) SILVER-7t's
Posts: 2180
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:35 pm
Location: In my own little world.....

Re: Turning a Stereo CarverFest 20w Tube Amp into a Mono Blo

Post by Chauss » Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:29 pm

kingman wrote:
Did he tell you that when he had that Clemson wrap over a glass of homemade wine Double O made?
...GO TIGERS!!!!!
I thought YOU were a Clemson fan??? :lol:

Image
Image
Good sound—like good music, good wine and good fellowship—is meant to be shared.
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" Albert Einstein

Post Reply

Return to “CarverFest 20w Tube Amp”