FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:15 pm

YOUR CF Tube Amp Build Progress

<<

frenchguy

SILVER-7t

Post Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:46 am

Re: YOUR CF Tube Amp Build Progress

mine has a switch thanks to you roy!! so far no problems!! like I told harry, think maybe not having one is causing alot of the problems people are having with their amps!! :-k
Carver M-4.0t & Rollandized tfm42, ct-6 & ct-17, sda390t, jolida jd 100A & JBL L96,s Modified JBL 4401,s W/Ribbon Tweeters, Carverfest vacuum tube amp & CF Linestage, Dared SL-2000A tube preamp, Carver AL3 Amazing speakers in natural oak, Carver Cinema 5.1 subwoofer & Douglas connection cables
<<

AlexSauter

Site Admin

Post Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:37 am

Well, I fixed George's amp tonight / this morning, he had his B+ circuit backwards.

Instead of feeding the B+ off the transformers, through the diodes, to the large cap, to the internal fuse, to the output transformer taps & the large blue resistor, through the smaller large cap and to the ground; he fed the B+ through the diode, through the large blue resistor, to the output transformer taps, thought the fuse, through the large cap and BACK into the B+ circuit.

He blew up the large blue resistor, both fuses in the amp (internal one first because the amp came on when Roy had it), and I am surprised he didn't blow a cap.... The amp now works and will be on its way ASAP.

Don's amp however, is a different story....

Everything "looks" fine, but the left channel does not work..... I get a rather loud buzz like you get when you touch a headphone jack on a headphone-RCA wire, and I cannot read a schematic.... I appreciate Roy's help this morning, he tried, but even his layman (spellcheck) terms were WAY over my head.... ](*,) ](*,)

We ruled out tubes, the rca jacks & wires, anything touching that shouldn't be, no grounded jacks, and right channel works fine.... ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)
RIP BillD
BillD wrote:Well, some people are glass half empty people and some are glass half full. Being an engineer, I just think the glass is the wrong size.

My system (sitting in the garage):

(Stereo System)
Modified Carver AL III+'s (Pushed into the corners to make room for the ALS speakers)
Modified CarverFest 2011 20w tube amplifier
Carver Pro PT-1800
Sunfire Prototype TGA-2375
Carver TX-2 Tuner (not used)
Logitech Squeezebox (replaced Tuner & dad's CD player)
CARVERaudio Directional RCA interconnects
RCA-Headphone jack for iPod & iPhone
<<

Zoot Horn

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Wed Dec 21, 2011 7:13 am

A huge thanks to Alex and Roy-- you guys just made my day. =D>
<<

Don

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Wed Dec 21, 2011 7:41 am

AlexSauter wrote:

Everything "looks" fine, but the left channel does not work..... I get a rather loud buzz like you get when you touch a headphone jack on a headphone-RCA wire, and I cannot read a schematic.... I appreciate Roy's help this morning, he tried, but even his layman (spellcheck) terms were WAY over my head.... ](*,) ](*,)

We ruled out tubes, the rca jacks & wires, anything touching that shouldn't be, no grounded jacks, and right channel works fine.... ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)

](*,) ](*,) ](*,) Alex, don't know anything about zeneers, but I think you mentioned amp worked before the zeneer install. Could that have something to do with it. May we have a bad zeneer, whatever the heck they are? Should we uninstall the zeneers and see if it works again? Or the extra RCA jacks, could one of those be shorting since installed at same time as zeneers? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

If all else fails, just put my signed transformer covers by Bob on Wayne's amp and mail off to me! :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.
— Thomas Paine

"Try not to become a man of success, but rather a man of value" Albert Einstein

"Politicians are the only people in the world who create problems and then campaign against them". Charlie Reese

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living." Brad Shurett

"Kindness is a language that the Deaf can hear and the Blind can see." Mark Twain

RIP Bill D.
<<

kingman

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:44 am

May we have a bad zeneer, whatever the heck they are?
...Vote this in the Hall of Fame!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: ...
If all else fails, just put my signed transformer covers by Bob on Wayne's amp and mail off to me!
... [-X
In reality, it only matters what it sounds like to YOU!!!
<<

Zoot Horn

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:04 am

Yep-- Wayne has so much stuff,, he'll never know--it'll take years for him to roll tubes--Merry Christmas Wayne,, you know I love you.. :-$
<<

hewlew1

"You Fuckin' Fucks"

Post Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:37 am

So roy, when you increased the fuse rating on georges amp did that correct the problem?
"Carver Audio, why settle for less, just ask my neighbors"
C1,C2,CT3,CT6,CT7/3,CT23,CT26,C4000,The Receiver,M500,M500T/6,M1.5T,TFM24/2,TFM/25/3,TFM35,TFM35X,TFM42/2,DTL200,TDR1700,DPL20,TX11/2, 5.2Center,5.1Sub/3,Original Amazings,Platinum Amazings/2,AL3'S,Polk SDA SRS, Polk SDA 1C's, Polk RTA11's, Polk Monitor 10's/2 ,Monitor 7's, Sunfire 300x2 /5, Sunfire pre, Sunfire MK2 Sub/2, 4 Carverfest monoblocks, Carverfest linestage preamp/2, Mapletree Audio Designs Tube Preamp,Phase Linear Andromeda III speakers, Phase Linear 4000 Preamp, Dahlquist DQ-10's
CERTIFIED AMPLE PLIERS EXPERT
Some of the best fuckings we get during our lifetime come from a relative!
I don't kiss ass, I dont take peoples shit, so dont expect it from me!
<<

hewlew1

"You Fuckin' Fucks"

Post Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:32 am

Roy. George assembled 2 amps were they both defunked ? The first one he finished he took home with him which is the one that started blowing fuses. The second one went home with Alex to figure out what was wrong with it. Was this the way it was george? So alex and Roy figured out what was wrong with one of the amps (wiring issue) What about the other?
"Carver Audio, why settle for less, just ask my neighbors"
C1,C2,CT3,CT6,CT7/3,CT23,CT26,C4000,The Receiver,M500,M500T/6,M1.5T,TFM24/2,TFM/25/3,TFM35,TFM35X,TFM42/2,DTL200,TDR1700,DPL20,TX11/2, 5.2Center,5.1Sub/3,Original Amazings,Platinum Amazings/2,AL3'S,Polk SDA SRS, Polk SDA 1C's, Polk RTA11's, Polk Monitor 10's/2 ,Monitor 7's, Sunfire 300x2 /5, Sunfire pre, Sunfire MK2 Sub/2, 4 Carverfest monoblocks, Carverfest linestage preamp/2, Mapletree Audio Designs Tube Preamp,Phase Linear Andromeda III speakers, Phase Linear 4000 Preamp, Dahlquist DQ-10's
CERTIFIED AMPLE PLIERS EXPERT
Some of the best fuckings we get during our lifetime come from a relative!
I don't kiss ass, I dont take peoples shit, so dont expect it from me!
<<

AlexSauter

Site Admin

Post Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:22 am

Don wrote:
AlexSauter wrote:

](*,) ](*,) ](*,) Alex, don't know anything about zeneers, but I think you mentioned amp worked before the zeneer install. Could that have something to do with it. May we have a bad zeneer, whatever the heck they are? Should we uninstall the zeneers and see if it works again? Or the extra RCA jacks, could one of those be shorting since installed at same time as zeneers? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

If all else fails, just put my signed transformer covers by Bob on Wayne's amp and mail off to me! :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Unfortunately, I ruled that out last night... The Zeners are fine, they are also hooked into the channel that works... As far as the RCA's, I checked to make sure they were not grounded, and they were not! If you want to check your amp at the house, take a volt meter and measure the conductivity from the MAIN ground off of the power transformer to the INSIDE of the RCA jacks, if it makes a contact on the INSIDE pin of the RCA Jack, it's grounded and must be replaced, if not, it is fine!

hewlew1 wrote:Roy. George assembled 2 amps were they both defunked ? The first one he finished he took home with him which is the one that started blowing fuses. The second one went home with Alex to figure out what was wrong with it. Was this the way it was george? So alex and Roy figured out what was wrong with one of the amps (wiring issue) What about the other?

This is half correct, One amp went home with George and then was taken to PolkFest where it was handed off to Roy because it stopped working. It then made it's way to me yesterday. The other amp is with Aunders up in PA with the Toms. He thought he could figure out what is wrong with it and took it home. Unfortunately, I do not know if he got it to work correctly, so......
RIP BillD
BillD wrote:Well, some people are glass half empty people and some are glass half full. Being an engineer, I just think the glass is the wrong size.

My system (sitting in the garage):

(Stereo System)
Modified Carver AL III+'s (Pushed into the corners to make room for the ALS speakers)
Modified CarverFest 2011 20w tube amplifier
Carver Pro PT-1800
Sunfire Prototype TGA-2375
Carver TX-2 Tuner (not used)
Logitech Squeezebox (replaced Tuner & dad's CD player)
CARVERaudio Directional RCA interconnects
RCA-Headphone jack for iPod & iPhone
<<

Wardsweb

M-400t CUBE

Post Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:41 am

By now you have figured out that building amps, or any electronics for that matter, from scratch is not a simple plug and play event. Even using pictures versus a schematic will not show you technique or the reasoning behind why. You have also found that a picture perfect copy doesn't always work or in an amps case, be quiet. It was a huge gift for Bob to offer such a kit, but impossible to teach a lifetimes worth of knowledge in a week. I'm not saying the amps can't be made to work and quietly but will require time, paitence and a little help.

No real help in this post, just letting you know it's not easy. No one here is an idiot, stupid or hopeless. You are not born with knowledge. Electronics is a skill learned. Both in theory and practical application.
~There are many roads to audio nirvana. While the ultimate goal may be the destination, don't forget to enjoy the ride.~
<<

Zoot Horn

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:58 am

^^^ well said^^^

Harry-- the second amp left Bob scratching his head,,and Anders too,,so it went back to Pittsburgh--I'll call them and post an update
<<

mbskeam

SILVER-7t

Post Wed Dec 21, 2011 6:32 pm

What Is a Zener Diode Regulator?

Zener diodes are primarily designed to regulate the output voltage of a power supply. As a voltage regulator, a stable maximum voltage is allowed to pass through the diode. This maximum voltage is determined by the voltage rating of the zener diode. Regulation of a specific voltage output ensures electronic equipment does not receive electrical power surges. These surges often destroy electronic components in computers, televisions and other electronic equipment.

http://www.reuk.co.uk/Zener-Diode-Voltage-Regulator.htm
Mbskeam

#1 BLACK BEAUTY's made by the man, the myth, the legend Bob Carver
CARVER: TFM-75, TFM-45(3), SD/A-490T
SUNFIRE: Tube pre
2 sets of ALS'3, set of SILVERS, set of PLATS
AUDIOCONTROL: phase coupled activator
KENWOOD: BASIC M2a (2)

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”
― Aristophanes

The only thing I'll feel......will be the RECOIL
Necronomicon Ex-Mortis....... Klaatu Barada Nikkto
"We should seek the greatest value of our action"
<<

angelod307

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:56 pm

anybody want to make a bet on how many of the six amps i have to finish building might have issues?
CarverFest: I just go for the arts and crafts
<<

engtaz

"TAZ"

Post Thu Dec 22, 2011 3:59 am

hewlew1 wrote:So roy, when you increased the fuse rating on George's amp did that correct the problem?

No, he also had a B+ issue. Unplugging and replugged PS plug can cause a surge current draw that why I recommend a 4 amp fuse for those who plug and unplug.
engtaz

Carver M4.0T in front channels to Caver AL VI's in SACD & 2 Channel setup
C 16, PT 2400, Slim Device, Carver TX-8, 490T and Rega TT w Grado Gold cart in the 2 channel setup
Bogen SRB20 is computer amp
Carver PM-350 donated for youth church use
<<

kingman

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Fri Dec 23, 2011 2:03 pm

Monoblocks in Tha House!!!!!...Arrived in good shape...TUBE TIME!!!!!
Monoblocks.JPG
In reality, it only matters what it sounds like to YOU!!!
PreviousNext

Return to CarverFest 20w Tube Amp