FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:07 pm

How are you liking the sound from your CF tube amp?

<<

hewlew1

"You Fuckin' Fucks"

Post Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:58 pm

Re: How are you liking the sound from your CF tube amp?

Well tonight I just used one amp with the sda cable connected. I think it drove The 1C's nicely. I was really surprised to see the difference when I turned on the sonic hallography I closed my eyes and got into the zone I swore I was listening to a sound stange that extended out 180 degrees from both sides of my head talk about cool.
"Carver Audio, why settle for less, just ask my neighbors"
C1,C2,CT3,CT6,CT7/3,CT23,CT26,C4000,The Receiver,M500,M500T/6,M1.5T,TFM24/2,TFM/25/3,TFM35,TFM35X,TFM42/2,DTL200,TDR1700,DPL20,TX11/2, 5.2Center,5.1Sub/3,Original Amazings,Platinum Amazings/2,AL3'S,Polk SDA SRS, Polk SDA 1C's, Polk RTA11's, Polk Monitor 10's/2 ,Monitor 7's, Sunfire 300x2 /5, Sunfire pre, Sunfire MK2 Sub/2, 4 Carverfest monoblocks, Carverfest linestage preamp/2, Mapletree Audio Designs Tube Preamp,Phase Linear Andromeda III speakers, Phase Linear 4000 Preamp, Dahlquist DQ-10's
CERTIFIED AMPLE PLIERS EXPERT
Some of the best fuckings we get during our lifetime come from a relative!
I don't kiss ass, I dont take peoples shit, so dont expect it from me!
<<

F1nut

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:02 am

Chauss wrote:Jesse-
He is running currently dual monoblock CarverFest amps so no common ground unless he goes to a single stereo amp.

I see, thanks. No point in running SDA's without connecting the cable.

hewlew1 wrote: I was really surprised to see the difference when I turned on the sonic hallography

SDA and SH = a whole lot of bad sound.
Political Correctness...defined

A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

In a recent press conference, President Obama remarked, "If I had a city, it would look just like Detroit."
<<

treitz3

"Julian"
"Julian"

Post Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:07 am

Man, that's the truth. Harry, you never want to run the two together.
In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to a good analogue reproduction.
<<

frenchguy

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:31 am

received the jbl monitors from beemers today & hooked up a pre & my carverfest amp with all new tubes as I had alot go bad at the fest!! everything went great!! no problems!! thanks tom!! melody & I will enjoy our new system thanks to all of you!! good friends & good tunes!! what more could I want!! thank you all again!! \:D/
2 Carver M-4.0t,s & 2 tfm 42,s. ct-6 & ct-17, sda390t, jolida jd 100A & JBL L96,s Modified JBL 4401,s W/Ribbon Tweeters, Carverfest vacuum tube amp & CF Lucas Labs Linestage, Dared SL-2000A tube preamp, Dared MP-5BT Integrated vacuum tube amp, Carver AL3 speakers in natural oak.Carver Amazing Silver speakers in piano black. 2 Carver Cinema 5.1 subwoofers & Tesla audio Carverfest satellite ribbon speakers & stands & Douglas connection cables
<<

AlexSauter

Site Admin

Post Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:36 am

How are you liking the sound from your CF tube amp?

If I could keep my tubes in my own amp for more than 10 minutes, I am sure I would love the sound! :lol: :lol:

I will admit, the 5 amps that I have built sound awesome, but the speakers that I am using definitely need a sub-woofer!!
My system (sitting in the garage):

(Stereo System)
Carver Pro PT-1800
Logitech Squeezebox
RCA-Headphone jack for iPod & iPhone
<<

frenchguy

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:38 am

I may need a subwoofer too, but will worry about that later, real happy right now!! :D
2 Carver M-4.0t,s & 2 tfm 42,s. ct-6 & ct-17, sda390t, jolida jd 100A & JBL L96,s Modified JBL 4401,s W/Ribbon Tweeters, Carverfest vacuum tube amp & CF Lucas Labs Linestage, Dared SL-2000A tube preamp, Dared MP-5BT Integrated vacuum tube amp, Carver AL3 speakers in natural oak.Carver Amazing Silver speakers in piano black. 2 Carver Cinema 5.1 subwoofers & Tesla audio Carverfest satellite ribbon speakers & stands & Douglas connection cables
<<

AlexSauter

Site Admin

Post Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:37 am

frenchguy wrote:I may need a subwoofer too, but will worry about that later, real happy right now!! :D

Lol, I have one, just too lazy to hook it up... ](*,)
My old Porch system ( monsoon sub that is self powered and powered speaker outputs, Mirage speakers and Kicker iPod/iPhone dock) is being ripped apart and reassembled as a stereo system powered by my CarverFest amp and the outputs on the sub bypassed so that it is a sub only. I can't wait to see what the little speakers and sub sound like when powered by Tubes rather than SS.
My system (sitting in the garage):

(Stereo System)
Carver Pro PT-1800
Logitech Squeezebox
RCA-Headphone jack for iPod & iPhone
<<

Don

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:25 pm

Pulled one of my CF tube amps out of the closet yesterday after dusting it off. Other one is in use in office system. Just for the jazz of it, hooked it up to a pair of Dunlavy 4a's which I was using as CC speakers in my HTR. The Dunlavy's are very sensitive, in the low 90's, if I remember correctly.

Fired them up using a Marantz receiver pre-amp section. Impressive. Bass did not appear as deep as the Sunfire 400 X 7 and a little looser, but soundstage appeared wider. Plenty of volume also from this little gem. Have a set of Mullard's coming next week I will try. Not a tube roller, but these have a very smooth midrange and are a little laid back in the upper register. Dunlavy's are very revealing, but have a tendency to be on the bright side with certain electronics. Also, this CF amp currently has the bottom of the line cheap Chinese tubes.

Anyway, nothing has been posted for a while. Therefore, thought it was about time to relate my experience with the big Dulavy's and the little CF tube amp.

Anyone else using the CF amp on a daily basis?
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.
— Thomas Paine

"Try not to become a man of success, but rather a man of value" Albert Einstein

"Politicians are the only people in the world who create problems and then campaign against them". Charlie Reese

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living." Brad Shurett

"Kindness is a language that the Deaf can hear and the Blind can see." Mark Twain

RIP BILL D. RIP WRABBIT
<<

kingman

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:47 am

Not currently using mine Don but you mentioned ordering some Mullards. I swapped out the Amprex gold pins to Mullards in my Sunfire pre and was talking to Ray about the immediate difference. They add more bass to my speakers without sacrificing top end. After you try them, see if you notice the same .
In reality, it only matters what it sounds like to YOU!!!
<<

BrianT

Pair of Silver Sevens

Post Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:36 am

Don wrote:Anyone else using the CF amp on a daily basis?

Don

I gave my tube CF amp and Lucas line stage to my daughter who lives
in Vancouver, its her only stereo so she has no choice but to use them both daily.

Brian
VPI Classic Turntable (black)
Transfiguration Phoenix Cartridge
Devialet 440PRO Mono Blocks
Audioprana SP/DIF-AES/EBU cable
Aurender N100H Music Server
Audioquest Diamond USB cable
B&W 803D3 Speakers (black)
Auditorium 23 Speaker Cables
Raysonic CD-168 CDP (silver)
Carver TX11
<<

jjptkd

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:54 am

BrianT wrote:
Don wrote:Anyone else using the CF amp on a daily basis?

Don

I gave my tube CF amp and Lucas line stage to my daughter who lives
in Vancouver, its her only stereo so she has no choice but to use them both daily.

Brian

Damn, lucky girl! I've never heard the CF tube amp but did have a couple of the VTA-20's and they sounded extremely good driving my large Klipsch speakers with 15" woofers. They got surprisingly loud with lots of good tight bass. I actually thought that little tube amp sounded pretty close to the Lightstar amplifier.
Sunfire Theater Grand III
Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature 405x5
Klipsch forte II Mains
Klipsch RC-7 Center and Surrounds
Klipsch RSW-12 Sub
<<

Magnaryder

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:33 pm

I used mine daily at the office until a power surge took out a power supply....I hope that's all it is [-o<

FWIW they sounded great. I've had them powering my modded Klipsch Forte, Alesis Monitor ones, Cambridge M80s, and the (CarverFest) Sonorous speakers. I also used them to drive my Stax 'phones.

Mine were heavily modded.

ray
Magnaryder

Its going to be used equipment when I sell it, so it may as well be used equipment when I buy it.
<<

Snoop65

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:11 pm

It's been a while since I listened to mine but I love it! I might take it to SoundSmith for some parts upgrades. I use Siemens EL84L and GE 5751 tubes in mine.
CARVER LIGHTSTAR REFERENCE+SUNFIRE CLASSIC TUBE PREAMPLIFIER+JBL XPL200+MUSIC HALL MMF-9.1+GRADO REFERENCE MASTER 1+CARVER SD/A 390t=WOW!!!!!!
Previous

Return to CarverFest 20w Tube Amp