Music and your health

Shortcake
SILVER-7t

Music and your health

Post by Shortcake » Sat Mar 24, 2012 6:40 pm

Go ahead - turn it up. Reduce stress, risk of stroke and heart attack - and more.

Research has shown that music has a profound effect on your body and psyche. In fact, there’s a growing field of health care known as music therapy, which uses music to heal. Those who practice music therapy are finding a benefit in using music to help cancer patients, children with ADD, and others, and even hospitals are beginning to use music and music therapy to help with pain management, to help ward off depression, to promote movement, to calm patients, to ease muscle tension, and for many other benefits that music and music therapy can bring. This is not surprising, as music affects the body and mind in many powerful ways. The following are some of effects of music, which help to explain the effectiveness of music therapy:

http://stress.about.com/od/tensiontamer ... herapy.htm
“Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything.” ― Plato

elgrau
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Re: Music and your health

Post by elgrau » Sat Mar 24, 2012 6:53 pm

Just took a double shot of "medicine": Led Zepagain's cover version of Strairway played at the loudest level that my garage system could play at without either blowing up or neighbors calling the cops.....the garage is pretty sound proof! I feel so much better; thanks, SC! :lol:
FR: 400 disk changer with PS Audio Digital Link III DAC; Technics SL-1100A TT. QED Quenx1 IC's from DAC & TT to Adcom GTP-602 preamp/Tuner. AudioQuest King Cobra IC's from preamp to M1.0t mk-II opt2. QED Silver Spirals 4M wires to EPI 1000’s.
LR: AudioEngine wireless link from family room preamp to Barcus-Berry 2002R Sonic Maximizer to GlowPower Zyxt IC's to Sunfire 300x2 to Nordost 6M bi-source wires to AOS 28" MDF spherical speakers using six 6.5" woofers and eight 1" dome tweeters symm. arranged around the surface.
SS system: CX-995V DVD to AV-634x 3-4 channel amp (center/rears) & M1.0t mk-II opt2(fronts).
Garage: 300 disk changer to Entech 202.5 DAC to MXR150 Receiver (pre) to TFM-42 to EPI 400 speakers.

TNRabbit
R.I.P. Friend
R.I.P. Friend

Post by TNRabbit » Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:59 pm

I spent 4 hours actually playing music tonight at a local bar. It was a blast! First time I've jammed in public in years~

...and got PAID, too! Woohoo!
Last edited by TNRabbit on Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.

kingman
(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post by kingman » Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:20 am

44hours!!!!! :shock:
In reality, it only matters what it sounds like to YOU!!!

TNRabbit
R.I.P. Friend
R.I.P. Friend

Post by TNRabbit » Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:17 am

kingman wrote:44hours!!!!! :shock:
...corrected....slip of the thumb!
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.

elgrau
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by elgrau » Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:12 pm

Cool....a paying gig!
FR: 400 disk changer with PS Audio Digital Link III DAC; Technics SL-1100A TT. QED Quenx1 IC's from DAC & TT to Adcom GTP-602 preamp/Tuner. AudioQuest King Cobra IC's from preamp to M1.0t mk-II opt2. QED Silver Spirals 4M wires to EPI 1000’s.
LR: AudioEngine wireless link from family room preamp to Barcus-Berry 2002R Sonic Maximizer to GlowPower Zyxt IC's to Sunfire 300x2 to Nordost 6M bi-source wires to AOS 28" MDF spherical speakers using six 6.5" woofers and eight 1" dome tweeters symm. arranged around the surface.
SS system: CX-995V DVD to AV-634x 3-4 channel amp (center/rears) & M1.0t mk-II opt2(fronts).
Garage: 300 disk changer to Entech 202.5 DAC to MXR150 Receiver (pre) to TFM-42 to EPI 400 speakers.

basspig
TFM-6cb

Post by basspig » Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:27 pm

I have long been acutely aware of the profound therapeutic effects of music. But... music, and its reproduction quality, can be poison, too. Case in point: unwanted music from screechy, tinny radios in the workplace: blood pressure rises, brain contemplates homicide. Alternatively, listening on one's favorite sound system at home, to one's favorite music, the effect ranges anywhere from a 50% increase in muscle strength, to feeling shivers down the spine, to hair growth! I truly believe that time spent listening to cherished music is time not deducted from one's lifespan.
For me, music is both a tonic and a means of drowning out the 'voices of terror' in my head. It literally keeps me sane, and, for the period of time in which I am experiencing a full-body immersion in my music, I am free of all fears, concerns, etc. and am just at peace with the universe. It's the sort of bliss that a person of limited mental capacity probably experiences. It's viceral and primal in nature. That's why I will do anything to protect that asset--my music is my life!
Take care,

Mark & Mary Ann Weiss
http://www.basspig.com The Bass Pig's Lair - 16,500 watts of driving surround sound!

Business sites at:
http://www.ampexperts.com
http://www.mwhdvideo.com
-

mbskeam
(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post by mbskeam » Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:38 am

I have long been acutely aware of the profound therapeutic effects of music. But... music, and its reproduction quality, can be poison, too. Case in point: unwanted music from screechy, tinny radios in the workplace: blood pressure rises, brain contemplates homicide. Alternatively, listening on one's favorite sound system at home, to one's favorite music, the effect ranges anywhere from a 50% increase in muscle strength, to feeling shivers down the spine, to hair growth! I truly believe that time spent listening to cherished music is time not deducted from one's lifespan.
For me, music is both a tonic and a means of drowning out the 'voices of terror' in my head. It literally keeps me sane, and, for the period of time in which I am experiencing a full-body immersion in my music, I am free of all fears, concerns, etc. and am just at peace with the universe. It's the sort of bliss that a person of limited mental capacity probably experiences. It's viceral and primal in nature. That's why I will do anything to protect that asset--my music is my life!

I can relate,
most of my coworkers would not know good music and sound if ya slapped them in the face with it.
we have the radio Cop, wines really loud when the station gets changed from the "I'm stuck in the late 70's music"
crap most of this stuff. all 5 songs, if I hear Bostons "more than a feeling", one more time. I will go mad.

or madder than I am..... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Mbskeam

SILVER 7's
Amazing Line Source
2 SVS PB16 SUBS
#1 BLACK BEAUTY's made by the man, the myth, the legend Bob Carver
CARVER: TFM-75, TFM-45(3), SD/A-490T
SUNFIRE: Tube pre
WTL Amadeus GTA+DV DRT XV-1t
2 sets of ALS'3, set of SILVERS, set of PLATS
AUDIOCONTROL: phase coupled activator
KENWOOD: BASIC M2a (2)

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”
― Aristophanes

The only thing I'll feel......will be the RECOIL
Necronomicon Ex-Mortis....... Klaatu Barada Nikkto
"We should seek the greatest value of our action"

basspig
TFM-6cb

Post by basspig » Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:24 am

I can relate,
most of my coworkers would not know good music and sound if ya slapped them in the face with it.
we have the radio Cop, wines really loud when the station gets changed from the "I'm stuck in the late 70's music"
crap most of this stuff. all 5 songs, if I hear Bostons "more than a feeling", one more time. I will go mad.

or madder than I am..... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Going back about 33 years, I recall my days of putting up with not one but THREE separate radios playing THREE different stations coming at me from three directions. On top of that, we had Muzak piped in on overhead speakers!! Complaints to said owners only resulted in a brief turn down, followed by turning it back up later. Multiple complaints later, they just ignored me. Then I took it to the supervisor, who did nothing, then finally the CEO. CEO acted like 'what's the big deal'? One day, at lunch, I threw one of the radios in the dumpster behind the building. That raised a ruckus. In retaliation, they stole my chair, so I didn't have anything to sit on for weeks after that incident.

Gosh, I could make a movie about what went on in my head. It would be this throbbing, increasing rage.. but I digress. I finally got smart and built radio jammers and stuck them under my workbench. One station at a time, until after a few months, we had total radio blackout. For over a year, I had peace (except for the Muzak). The other problem was it was always over 80°F in the shop, even in winter, which was unbearable for me as I keep the house at 65°F. Then one day, a coworker noticed me under my bench in the morning before shift started, adjusting the capacitor tuning on one of the jammers. After lunch, there was a note on my bench to see the supervisor and the coils of the oscillators were cut. So I see the boss, and he tells me 'that's against the law' and all that BS. I remind him that I asked for help on this matter and since no one assisted my position, I was forced to take the matter into my own hands. Eventually, a white collar job opened up in another department, which was air conditioned and had no radios and I applied for it. It was five pay grades above my old job, and the rules were you could only jump three grades. But the boss realized I was a hot potato and things were worked out so I could leave their dept. What a relief. At least I learned this new skill called 'word processing' and moved from bench repair tech to technical writer.
Take care,

Mark & Mary Ann Weiss
http://www.basspig.com The Bass Pig's Lair - 16,500 watts of driving surround sound!

Business sites at:
-

elgrau
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by elgrau » Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:13 am

Yep music is profound therapy. The right music at the right time has the power to change everything. But my favorite "use" for it is still as an "enhancement" of whatever else I may be doing...woodworking, biking, reading, even watching the boob tube: I've found that BY FAR the best way to enjoy basketball or football games is with the sound turned down and your music playing LOUD. Without the incessant babbling of the "commentators" you can focus on the players motions and its like they are in slo mo. Ditto a bunch of other shows as well...

basspig
TFM-6cb

Post by basspig » Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:45 pm

Music has a profound effect on 'horsepower', as I found out last week. I was biking up a hill and starting to bog down. Suddenly, this piece of music started playing in my head--a favorite piece of what I like to refer to as "Sonic Narcotics" and I could hear it clear as day as if I were hearing it acoustically, every note, every underlying rhythm, in great detail. I felt an adrenaline rush and suddenly I was picking up speed. The discomfort faded and a euphoria set in. Of course, when I reached the top, I thought I was going to have a heart attack, as I could barely catch my breath and became dizzy from overexertion, but that didn't last more than 30 seconds and I kept pedaling.
If I could have my favorite music playing back in the days when I used the Nautilus at the YMCA, boy what a difference that would have made.
Silent movies had something going for them because they were covered only by music. You got the story from the actors' expressions. There's a new film I saw previews for called "The Artist" which is a modern day silent movie, and a bold move in a world that isn't used to silent movies, but it looks like it might be worth renting.
Music, like medicine, can be deadly or live-giving, depending on kind and quantity.
Take care,

Mark & Mary Ann Weiss

Business sites at:
-

Return to “Crazy News Of The Day”