SunFire Tube Pre

Sunfire Home Audio (Stereo) Discussions and Questions
OconeeOrange
"Forum Troll"
"Forum Troll"

SunFire Tube Pre

Post by OconeeOrange » Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:01 pm

I was kinda excited yesterday as I had been watching a SunFire Tube Pre on ebay all week. It was still at 650 yesterday morning, and my plan all along was to bid in the last second with 775 and get that. (for what purpose, I am not sure)

I killed time reading about tube rolling, and have a new set already picked out.
Gary has good things to say about it all over the web, as do many.

In the last seconds, OCCD hit hard, and out of fear I posted 975 instead to make sure I got it.
Even as I posted, I was outbid by 3 bids.

Probably someone member here now has it.
All I can say is thanks. =D>
Now that my fever has dropped, and the sweat has dried, I will have money to eat with this month.

BillD
R.I.P. Friend
R.I.P. Friend
Location: The west's most mid-western town, Scottsdale, Arizona

Re: SunFire Tube Pre

Post by BillD » Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:03 pm

Damn, that's too bad, Bill. Another one will come along. Maybe you need to get better sniping software.
It should sound like it isn't there!
There is a difference between hearing and listening...
Making life enjoyable through expensive electronics.

OconeeOrange
"Forum Troll"
"Forum Troll"

Post by OconeeOrange » Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:07 pm

It was not the bidding.
It just was just worth more to someone else.
Soon those things will be selling for more than they were new.

Yall all have me wanting to play with tubes, so I will keep my eyes open. I don't have $$, but I have time.

treitz3
"Julian"
"Julian"

That's a nice unit.

Post by treitz3 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:20 pm

Maybe it's good for you that you lost the auction, Bill. I thought your bride was getting on you about the audio gear and spending thingy.

While it may come as no surprise to those that attend Carverfest, I am not really a big fan of Sunfire's sound signature but I will say this. That Sunfire tubed pre sounds pretty damned good. I've heard it on a range of different systems in different environments and it's a performer. You should have heard Eddie's rig last year at CF using this. Damn fine rig, if you ask me.

Tube rolling is a wonderful way of having fun. I hear it all the time that....and I quote...."I would get tube gear, but it's so expensive". HA! What they don't realize is that with SS gear, if you don't like the sound signature, you have to replace the unit. With tubed gear, you roll tubes. Hmmm, lets think about that for a moment. New amplifier, CDP or Pre at a cost of hundreds to thousands [depending on where you are on your audio journey] or a set of tubes to roll with for under a hundred or unless you go uber rare or sought after, usually no more than a couple [as in 2] of hundred dollars.

I have more in my tubes than I have in both of my amplifiers and if I ever want to tweak something I'm not too happy with, I roll some tubes to get what I want out of my rig. Since I run an all tubed rig, the possibilities are almost endless for me but even one tubed unit can be such a joy to roll tubes in.

Better luck on the next one that rolls around, Bill.
In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to a good analogue reproduction.

OconeeOrange
"Forum Troll"
"Forum Troll"

Re: That's a nice unit.

Post by OconeeOrange » Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:04 pm

treitz3 wrote:Maybe it's good for you that you lost the auction, Bill. I thought your bride was getting on you about the audio gear and spending thingy.
Well, she might if she had a clue.
Actually, I have about 1% invested in audio compared to most here I read about.
In 40 years together, we keep our own budgets and bank accounts.
She has no idea when or if I spend a dime.

Like most, we can always find things to discuss (fight), but money is not one of them.

Still, like you said - best I lost that one so the hunt can continue. \:D/

treitz3
"Julian"
"Julian"

Post by treitz3 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:13 pm

Atta boy.
In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to a good analogue reproduction.

thuffman03
!! CarverFest Evictee !!

Post by thuffman03 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:21 pm

If you really want one OO, beemers417 has one at his shop for sale. Not sure what the price will be but you can always ask.
Some cool Carver stuff!

OconeeOrange
"Forum Troll"
"Forum Troll"

Post by OconeeOrange » Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:52 pm

thuffman03 wrote:If you really want one OO, beemers417 has one at his shop for sale. Not sure what the price will be but you can always ask.
Yea, replies like this is one reason I hesitated to make this post. :)
This guy had this one for years and the box, etc.
Still, I bet The Beemer is a better judge of the worth of an item than that guy or me.

Put in a good word for me.

OO

PDR
TFM-45

Post by PDR » Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:05 pm

OO....

If you want to get into tubes, and if your handy, you could always get a small kit to play with.
Some are very inexspensive and dont require much more than a soldering iron and a pair of needlenose pliers.

Here is one that is getting rave reviews with the full range guys....although they are low out put amps and you need
sensitive speakers......$225
http://www.s5electronics.com/l16stereo.html

If you dont have the right speaks you can build them as well. The frugal horn MKlll can be built for the cost of
a sheet of 3/4" MDF and about $80 in speakers.....no cross over required.
So for about $350(total sytem less sub) + shipping and a little time you could see if this is something that you might enjoy.
Heres a pic of the MKlll frugal, its getting great reviews, I'm gonna build one this spring.

Every speaker I own ,except my Originals, I have built from a kit from internet designers......

OconeeOrange
"Forum Troll"
"Forum Troll"

Post by OconeeOrange » Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:32 pm

Back when I discovered HiFi, there was a company (heathkit, realkit) I don't remember. You could buy kits in the 60's and built it yourself. Guys I knew put some good sounding stuff together.
That company made their money like Sears.
That is, 10 bucks a month for 22 years.
Every soldier could do that.

They also sold items you did not have to build, and I got a Sony reel to reel with amp for $15.99 for 69 years. I hooked it to a Garrard turntable I got cheap from a soldier returning to the States and some small speakers. It was a great system and every night was party night at my place (due to the cheap PX booze I could buy).

These days I have so much backed up, that learning how to build a tube amp is way down my list.
You build it and trade it to me for a keg of my homemade beer -

The best thing about real audiophiles is that they are always moving up --
Guys like me buy the used junk they sell off cheap.

dyeraudio
TFM-75

Post by dyeraudio » Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:38 pm

Is this the one you were watching? 1 bid....$750? How did we all miss that?...and right in my back yard...... #-o
http://cgi.ebay.com/Sunfire-classic-vac ... 3a647d6f58
CARVER CT-29V, CARVER TFM-45 (Rita-furbished) ,CARVER SD/A 490t, LINN Keilidh speakers, PS Audio I/C's, PS Audio Statement & Plus Speaker Cables, APC Line-R 600 conditioner, Vibra-Cones

treitz3
"Julian"
"Julian"

Now you have the idea...

Post by treitz3 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:45 pm

OconeeOrange wrote:The best thing about real audiophiles is that they are always moving up --
Guys like me buy the used junk they sell off cheap.
Nothing wrong with that. I haven't bought new since a couple of years ago and my audio journey has gone forward exponentially ever since. All of the new stuff has either been sold or will be sold [1 item left...the Richard Grey Pro400 Power Supply], with the exception of media [CD's, SACD's, DVD's and Blu-Ray's].

I can't stand paying retail for something that I can only get half back, if I'm lucky, on the resale. The last item I recall purchasing new was the Sony Blu-Ray player and before that was the Nitty Gritty RCM [years ago], only because I wanted the anniversary edition in the Jatoba finish with the smoked cover.

I don't foresee me purchasing something at the retail rate again unless I hear it first in my own rig and I have sometime to evaluate its performance.

thuffman03
!! CarverFest Evictee !!

Post by thuffman03 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:46 pm

dyeraudio wrote:Is this the one you were watching? 1 bid....$750? How did we all miss that?...and right in my back yard...... #-o
http://cgi.ebay.com/Sunfire-classic-vac ... 3a647d6f58
The same way I got my latest Sunfire Signature 600....It was a BIN and only up for a few hours before someone like us noticed and went "Holy $hit! I need to buy that"
Some cool Carver stuff!

OconeeOrange
"Forum Troll"
"Forum Troll"

Post by OconeeOrange » Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:57 pm

No, never saw that one.
The one I knew about went over a 1K.

Now I do feel bad - thanks - :-&

OconeeOrange
"Forum Troll"
"Forum Troll"

Post by OconeeOrange » Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:00 pm

Here is a good deal ending today -
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... K:MEWAX:IT

I think the speakers for my indoor system will be Martin Logan, but not ready yet --

Return to “Sunfire Home Audio”