WHAT'S UNDER THE HOOD (SUNFIRE CLASSIC TUBE)

Sunfire Home Audio (Stereo) Discussions and Questions
User avatar
Snoop65
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP
Posts: 2736
Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:04 pm
Location: A galaxy far far away

Re: WHAT'S UNDER THE HOOD (SUNFIRE CLASSIC TUBE)

Post by Snoop65 » Wed Mar 09, 2016 7:38 pm

NOW THAT'S A BUGLE BOY!!!! Keep those away from Eric Wayne, he stopped attending his meetings! :lol: :lol: :lol:
CARVER LIGHTSTAR REFERENCE+SUNFIRE CLASSIC TUBE PREAMPLIFIER+JBL XPL200+MUSIC HALL MMF-9.1+GRADO REFERENCE MASTER 1+Cayin CDT-17a =WOW!!!!!!

User avatar
Magnaryder
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP
Posts: 3082
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2007 1:00 am
Location: Bucyrus, Ohio

Re: WHAT'S UNDER THE HOOD (SUNFIRE CLASSIC TUBE)

Post by Magnaryder » Thu Mar 10, 2016 12:25 pm

Snoop65 wrote:NOW THAT'S A BUGLE BOY!!!! Keep those away from Eric Wayne, he stopped attending his meetings! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Vance, aren't you going to the meetings in his stead?

ray


bwaaahahahaha
Magnaryder

Its going to be used equipment when I sell it, so it may as well be used equipment when I buy it.

"Racing is life, the rest of the time you're just sitting around."-Steve McQueen

User avatar
Snoop65
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP
Posts: 2736
Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:04 pm
Location: A galaxy far far away

Re: WHAT'S UNDER THE HOOD (SUNFIRE CLASSIC TUBE)

Post by Snoop65 » Thu Mar 10, 2016 1:48 pm

Magnaryder wrote:
Snoop65 wrote:NOW THAT'S A BUGLE BOY!!!! Keep those away from Eric Wayne, he stopped attending his meetings! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Vance, aren't you going to the meetings in his stead?

ray


bwaaahahahaha
Lol!!! We were going together on the buddy system! :lol: :lol: :lol:
CARVER LIGHTSTAR REFERENCE+SUNFIRE CLASSIC TUBE PREAMPLIFIER+JBL XPL200+MUSIC HALL MMF-9.1+GRADO REFERENCE MASTER 1+Cayin CDT-17a =WOW!!!!!!

User avatar
Magnaryder
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP
Posts: 3082
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2007 1:00 am
Location: Bucyrus, Ohio

Re: WHAT'S UNDER THE HOOD (SUNFIRE CLASSIC TUBE)

Post by Magnaryder » Thu Mar 10, 2016 3:18 pm

Snoop65 wrote:
Magnaryder wrote:
Snoop65 wrote:NOW THAT'S A BUGLE BOY!!!! Keep those away from Eric Wayne, he stopped attending his meetings! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Vance, aren't you going to the meetings in his stead?

ray


bwaaahahahaha
Lol!!! We were going together on the buddy system! :lol: :lol: :lol:
I'm sure he says"thank you for your support."

ray

shameless 'Bartles and James' plug
Magnaryder

Its going to be used equipment when I sell it, so it may as well be used equipment when I buy it.

"Racing is life, the rest of the time you're just sitting around."-Steve McQueen

User avatar
Snoop65
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP
Posts: 2736
Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:04 pm
Location: A galaxy far far away

Re: WHAT'S UNDER THE HOOD (SUNFIRE CLASSIC TUBE)

Post by Snoop65 » Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:02 pm

I'm sitting back listing to some vinyl and really enjoying the Tesla E83cc's. The sound is excellent! Detailed,liquid and harmonically right. I really amazed at how low the noise floor is. I read somebody described the Tesla sound as "solid state" and I understand where they are coming from but I would say it's more like some of the qualities of ss combined with tube. This was truly a steal! Again comparing it to the Mullard 10M the 10M is close but it just doesn't have the same resolution, you hear deeper into the music with the Tesla.
CARVER LIGHTSTAR REFERENCE+SUNFIRE CLASSIC TUBE PREAMPLIFIER+JBL XPL200+MUSIC HALL MMF-9.1+GRADO REFERENCE MASTER 1+Cayin CDT-17a =WOW!!!!!!

User avatar
UncleMeat
TFM-6cb
Posts: 248
Joined: Thu May 21, 2015 5:32 pm

Re: WHAT'S UNDER THE HOOD (SUNFIRE CLASSIC TUBE)

Post by UncleMeat » Fri Mar 11, 2016 12:12 am

kingman wrote:I dont know, how can I tell? Got these from KEV on the other forum. Interesting! I got mine from Kevin also!!!! \:D/
Wayne, can you post a few pictures of one of yours? Here ya go!!!
Image

Photo # 3 tells the story on these. Amperex GA2 "D-Getters" (D-shaped 'getter'), Date code 'delta' 9 H - 'delta' = Herleen Holland, 9 = 1959, H = August

My 6dj8 D-getters are the best sounding of the Bugle Boys in the Carver 490t.

User avatar
Magnaryder
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP
Posts: 3082
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2007 1:00 am
Location: Bucyrus, Ohio

Re: WHAT'S UNDER THE HOOD (SUNFIRE CLASSIC TUBE)

Post by Magnaryder » Fri Mar 11, 2016 8:57 am

I have a set of Tim deParavicini 7DJ8s I use in those applications. When I had my Sunfire Tube Pre I had them paired with Toshiba and Lindahl green/buue dot medical purpose 12AX7s and I gotta tell you it ROCKED!

Currently I'm using the deParavicini tubes in my Fosgate Signature Phono pre and occasionally roll the Lidahl and Toshibas into the front end of the EAR V20 when i want to hear something different than the PSVanes. Sometimes I roll in the Telefunkin and Mullards too. It's Great FUN man \:D/

ray
Magnaryder

Its going to be used equipment when I sell it, so it may as well be used equipment when I buy it.

"Racing is life, the rest of the time you're just sitting around."-Steve McQueen

User avatar
Snoop65
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP
Posts: 2736
Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:04 pm
Location: A galaxy far far away

Re: WHAT'S UNDER THE HOOD (SUNFIRE CLASSIC TUBE)

Post by Snoop65 » Fri Mar 11, 2016 9:27 am

Magnaryder wrote:I have a set of Tim deParavicini 7DJ8s I use in those applications. When I had my Sunfire Tube Pre I had them paired with Toshiba and Lindahl green/buue dot medical purpose 12AX7s and I gotta tell you it ROCKED!

Currently I'm using the deParavicini tubes in my Fosgate Signature Phono pre and occasionally roll the Lidahl and Toshibas into the front end of the EAR V20 when i want to hear something different than the PSVanes. Sometimes I roll in the Telefunkin and Mullards too. It's Great FUN man \:D/

ray
Keep rolling brother! =D> =D> \:D/
CARVER LIGHTSTAR REFERENCE+SUNFIRE CLASSIC TUBE PREAMPLIFIER+JBL XPL200+MUSIC HALL MMF-9.1+GRADO REFERENCE MASTER 1+Cayin CDT-17a =WOW!!!!!!

User avatar
Magnaryder
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP
Posts: 3082
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2007 1:00 am
Location: Bucyrus, Ohio

Re: WHAT'S UNDER THE HOOD (SUNFIRE CLASSIC TUBE)

Post by Magnaryder » Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:08 am

Snoop65 wrote:
Magnaryder wrote:I have a set of Tim deParavicini 7DJ8s I use in those applications. When I had my Sunfire Tube Pre I had them paired with Toshiba and Lindahl green/buue dot medical purpose 12AX7s and I gotta tell you it ROCKED!

Currently I'm using the deParavicini tubes in my Fosgate Signature Phono pre and occasionally roll the Lidahl and Toshibas into the front end of the EAR V20 when i want to hear something different than the PSVanes. Sometimes I roll in the Telefunkin and Mullards too. It's Great FUN man \:D/

ray
Keep rolling brother! =D> =D> \:D/
That is the plan....well my plan anyway....when I get a spare moment...

ray
Magnaryder

Its going to be used equipment when I sell it, so it may as well be used equipment when I buy it.

"Racing is life, the rest of the time you're just sitting around."-Steve McQueen

User avatar
Snoop65
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP
Posts: 2736
Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:04 pm
Location: A galaxy far far away

Re: WHAT'S UNDER THE HOOD (SUNFIRE CLASSIC TUBE)

Post by Snoop65 » Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:58 am

I will be playing around with the phonostage a little more just to see how some other 12ax7/5751 tubes sound matched up with the Siemens Cca's. I have some smooth plate Telefunkens, GE black plate triple mica 5751's, Sylvania black plate triple mica 5751's and some Siemens 12AX7's. I think I have 4 extra Amperex Holland 7308's so I might try them too.
CARVER LIGHTSTAR REFERENCE+SUNFIRE CLASSIC TUBE PREAMPLIFIER+JBL XPL200+MUSIC HALL MMF-9.1+GRADO REFERENCE MASTER 1+Cayin CDT-17a =WOW!!!!!!

User avatar
MRHP
SILVER-7t
Posts: 1346
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:36 pm
Location: Buzzard Creek Ky

Re: WHAT'S UNDER THE HOOD (SUNFIRE CLASSIC TUBE)

Post by MRHP » Sat Mar 12, 2016 11:44 am

Snoop the Sylvania triple mica black plate 5751's was end of the road in my phono pre amp. A very close second is the 1957 Mullard MC1 12ax7. Nothing else even gets close.

Wayne bring them Delta 9 bugle boys to CF16 because you probably don't really need them. Ill take'em off your hands and dispose of properly. :D :D
TFM-75 serial #0001
PT-2400 serial #0001
Baby Black Magic serial #0001
Baby Black Magic serial #0002
Cherry/260wpc Mono Blocks
Lightstar Reference
Sunfire Series II 625x2
Carver 490t
OPPO-103
Lucas Labs CF-14
Sunfire Tube pre
DENON DP-62L TT
DUAL CS 5000 TT
DQ-20's
Tesla CF-15 speakers
Douglas Cables
OK ERIC, LET GO OF THE MOUSE AND BACK AWAY FROM YOUR PC WITH YOUR HANDS IN THE AIR. NOW SLOWLY LAY FACE DOWN ON THE FLOOR!!!! - Snoop65

User avatar
Snoop65
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP
Posts: 2736
Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:04 pm
Location: A galaxy far far away

Re: WHAT'S UNDER THE HOOD (SUNFIRE CLASSIC TUBE)

Post by Snoop65 » Sat Mar 12, 2016 4:50 pm

MRHP wrote:Snoop the Sylvania triple mica black plate 5751's was end of the road in my phono pre amp. A very close second is the 1957 Mullard MC1 12ax7. Nothing else even gets close.

Wayne bring them Delta 9 bugle boys to CF16 because you probably don't really need them. Ill take'em off your hands and dispose of properly. :D :D
The Sylvania is a great tube! I have it close to the Mullard 10M but I preferred the 10M. I will be listening to the Sylvania again this week though.
CARVER LIGHTSTAR REFERENCE+SUNFIRE CLASSIC TUBE PREAMPLIFIER+JBL XPL200+MUSIC HALL MMF-9.1+GRADO REFERENCE MASTER 1+Cayin CDT-17a =WOW!!!!!!

User avatar
MRHP
SILVER-7t
Posts: 1346
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:36 pm
Location: Buzzard Creek Ky

Re: WHAT'S UNDER THE HOOD (SUNFIRE CLASSIC TUBE)

Post by MRHP » Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:06 am

Snoop65 wrote:I'm sitting back listing to some vinyl and really enjoying the Tesla E83cc's. The sound is excellent! Detailed,liquid and harmonically right. I really amazed at how low the noise floor is. I read somebody described the Tesla sound as "solid state" and I understand where they are coming from but I would say it's more like some of the qualities of ss combined with tube. This was truly a steal! Again comparing it to the Mullard 10M the 10M is close but it just doesn't have the same resolution, you hear deeper into the music with the Tesla.
Got my Tesla E83CC's and put them in the phono preamp to break in for a couple hours. Pulled them out and put them in the Cherry/260's and the sounded good but not great. Listened for a while and they continued to break in and smooth up. Pulled them back out for the night and put back in the phono preamp and left on all night. Turned off the next morning to cool of then back on at noon till 5pm'ish. Put them back in the 260's and BIG difference! Starting to really smooth up and get transparent without any harshness. Still playing and getting better as they go. \:D/
TFM-75 serial #0001
PT-2400 serial #0001
Baby Black Magic serial #0001
Baby Black Magic serial #0002
Cherry/260wpc Mono Blocks
Lightstar Reference
Sunfire Series II 625x2
Carver 490t
OPPO-103
Lucas Labs CF-14
Sunfire Tube pre
DENON DP-62L TT
DUAL CS 5000 TT
DQ-20's
Tesla CF-15 speakers
Douglas Cables
OK ERIC, LET GO OF THE MOUSE AND BACK AWAY FROM YOUR PC WITH YOUR HANDS IN THE AIR. NOW SLOWLY LAY FACE DOWN ON THE FLOOR!!!! - Snoop65

User avatar
Snoop65
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP
Posts: 2736
Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:04 pm
Location: A galaxy far far away

Re: WHAT'S UNDER THE HOOD (SUNFIRE CLASSIC TUBE)

Post by Snoop65 » Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:49 am

MRHP wrote:
Snoop65 wrote:I'm sitting back listing to some vinyl and really enjoying the Tesla E83cc's. The sound is excellent! Detailed,liquid and harmonically right. I really amazed at how low the noise floor is. I read somebody described the Tesla sound as "solid state" and I understand where they are coming from but I would say it's more like some of the qualities of ss combined with tube. This was truly a steal! Again comparing it to the Mullard 10M the 10M is close but it just doesn't have the same resolution, you hear deeper into the music with the Tesla.
Got my Tesla E83CC's and put them in the phono preamp to break in for a couple hours. Pulled them out and put them in the Cherry/260's and the sounded good but not great. Listened for a while and they continued to break in and smooth up. Pulled them back out for the night and put back in the phono preamp and left on all night. Turned off the next morning to cool of then back on at noon till 5pm'ish. Put them back in the 260's and BIG difference! Starting to really smooth up and get transparent without any harshness. Still playing and getting better as they go. \:D/
Glad you got them Eric! They get better by the day!
CARVER LIGHTSTAR REFERENCE+SUNFIRE CLASSIC TUBE PREAMPLIFIER+JBL XPL200+MUSIC HALL MMF-9.1+GRADO REFERENCE MASTER 1+Cayin CDT-17a =WOW!!!!!!

Post Reply

Return to “Sunfire Home Audio”