Can Sunfires be bridged

Sunfire Home Audio (Stereo) Discussions and Questions
elshout

Can Sunfires be bridged

Post by elshout » Sat Oct 29, 2011 9:44 pm

Can the original Sunfire amplifier (300 wpc) be bridged? If so, how do you bridge, is there a switch? There appears to be at least 3 different models of the Sunfires and doing searches just increases the confusion. Can not find a manual for the originals only the series II and the 300~2.

Thanks,
Scott

jjptkd
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Re: Can Sunfires be bridged

Post by jjptkd » Sat Oct 29, 2011 9:48 pm

Yes it can, it tells you how in the manual. I can't remember exactly how at this moment but I think you use the current source outputs. :-k
Oppo Sonica DAC
Sunfire TG-III
Sunfire 300x2
Klipsch Chorus II

Chauss
(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post by Chauss » Sat Oct 29, 2011 10:03 pm

elshout wrote:Can the original Sunfire amplifier (300 wpc) be bridged? If so, how do you bridge, is there a switch? There appears to be at least 3 different models of the Sunfires and doing searches just increases the confusion. Can not find a manual for the originals only the series II and the 300~2.

Thanks,
Scott
Yes- but you need 2 of them as you make it a mono amp- hope this helps!

Good sound—like good music, good wine and good fellowship—is meant to be shared.
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" Albert Einstein

elshout

Post by elshout » Sun Oct 30, 2011 6:21 pm

Thanks Chauss. Any idea what the mono power would be into 8 ohms. Does it triple like most bridged amps?
Also, is it only the original Sunfires that can be bridged, or can the Signature Series II also be bridged?

Chauss
(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post by Chauss » Sun Oct 30, 2011 8:03 pm

I do not know why you would need to bridge the Signature series....but I think they work the exact same way. I believe it will effectively double the power. 300 x 2 will become a 600W mono amp. The Signature is already 600W....WHY would you need 1200W? You would need separate circuits to power each amp! THAT is a lot of power!!! :shock:

If you have the 300 x 2 Signatures- I think they are 325W...so they would effectively become 650W mono amps.
Good sound—like good music, good wine and good fellowship—is meant to be shared.
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" Albert Einstein

fill35U
M-400t CUBE

Post by fill35U » Tue May 12, 2015 12:46 am

The illustrations from the manual demonstrate a *parallel* bridged configuration. AKA "strapped" - note the jumpers connecting the output terminals.

A parallel bridged setup *will not* gain you any more power into a given resistive load! The only way for more current to flow would be to increase the voltage to the load. Plug a lamp into a 120V outlet, it doesn't care if the circuit supplying the outlet is capable of 5 amps or 5000, it'll have the same brightness and power either way.

Where parallel bridging helps is with *reactive* loads (most speakers) or loads that dip so low that they draw instantaneous current that an amp couldn't otherwise supply. By being able to deliver twice as much current as a single channel, the amp can now deliver the power the load is drawing.

Note that the Sunfire manual specifies the use of the *current* source terminals, which have internal 1R resistors in series with the voltage terminals. The resistance prevents one channel from driving the other, and acts like ballast to make sure each channel contributes evenly. But unless you're doing something unusual (current source driving of woofers), I don't see the advantage parallel bridging the current source outputs would have over a single voltage output. Maybe let each channel work easier for longevity and less distortion, but the downtracking probably minimizes heat and distortion in the output stage with load invariance anyhow.

Contrast to the "usual" *series* bridging which doubles the voltage output. Hence four times the power into the same load. But since most amps aren't load invariant, they can't deliver(at highest power) the double the current required, thus series bridged max power ratings run around only 3x the single channel power.

I would *bet* that a Sunfire amp could be series bridged, but you'd need to invert the signal to one channel. A 600Wx2 would become a 2400W monobloc. But the fuses and line cord wouldn't be up to the task if pushed hard...
Living room system: TGP IV, TX-8r, TD-1400, PT-2400(x6), PM-1.5a(x3), TFM-45(x2), TFM-55, Silver Amazings Mk IV

Spares/projects: C-9, M-400, PM-350(x2), M-1.5t(x2), PT-2400(x2-1/2), PT-1800(x4), TGP I, Architectural True Sub, pm420

Miko1971
TFM-6cb

Post by Miko1971 » Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:06 pm

If I set the brilliance control to max on my sound lab's, they can present a almost dead short to the amps. They are the grim reaper of speakers...happy to say my Bridged Sunfire 300's can handle the wild impedance swings they put out without any trouble at all... Bob made on Hell of an amp and I'd put 'em up against anything out there today.

Return to “Sunfire Home Audio”