Sunfire 600 x 2 on Magnepan 1.7's

Sunfire Home Audio (Stereo) Discussions and Questions
rah
M-400t CUBE

Sunfire 600 x 2 on Magnepan 1.7's

Post by rah » Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:09 pm

Picked up a Sunfire 600 x 2 (the no signature one) a few months ago while searching for a pair of Magnepans.

Found here in Houston this weekend a slighly used pair of 1.7's so got them in my office this morning and hooked them up in place of the Klipsch Corus II's.

Running off of the Sunfire 300 x 2 the sound was typical Maggie, about what I expected, the highs being just a tad bright on some recordings in my small office (not unusual for Magnepans).

Decided to pull out the 300 x 2 and put in the 600 x 2 mainly to see what effect it would have on the low end.

Low end seemed about the same, but the surprise was the tad bright highs dissapeared. And no, I don't think it's because a better low end will mask some brightness, to me the low end is the same.

So much so I moved the treble on the TGP from -2 to 0.

These 1.7's are still fairly new, so I do expect the bass to improve a bit over time, but am pleasantly pleased with the high end. Also the 600 x 2 seems to have a bit larger soundstage.

Besides the higher cost, one reason I've stayed away from the true ribbon Magnepans (3.x series) is because their true ribbons can most certainly be hotter in the highs. Now I'm wondering what a pair of 3.7's would sound like in my office.

Anyone have any experience with Magnepans and Sunfire amps, especially the 600 x 2?
My office (and only) system:
Sunfire Ultimate Receiver (thanks jjptkd!)
Sunfire Theater Grand Processor (with original remote!)
Carver TD-1770
Klipsch Chorus II's
Sony CA70ES 5-disc changer
Sony SACD 5-disc changer

erniejade1
TFM-35

Re: Sunfire 600 x 2 on Magnepan 1.7's

Post by erniejade1 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:44 pm

Hi 1st off I am surprised that you would say it s bright after coming off of Klipsch Corus II lol ( good speaker but definitely on the brighter side) . The Klipsch with any amp in my eyes would be Bright. Not a bad thing.

Back top your question, I have a 300x2 and have had a 600x2 and currently have a 625 x2 sig II. The 600 and the sig II both to me, the high end was more fwd as well as the mids. The 300x2 was a bit more mellow sounding to me. That being said, has either of your amps been re-capped? or is there an age difference? One just might be also more "broken in" than the other one. Are you using the voltage or current taps on either of the units?

I also agree on the larger sound stage and the bass sounds darn close on the 600 vs the 300.

jjptkd
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by jjptkd » Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:27 pm

Congrats on the new speakers! =D> =D> You gonna throw out the Chorus IIs? :-k :-k
Oppo Sonica DAC
Sunfire TG-III
Sunfire 300x2
Klipsch Chorus II

kingman
(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post by kingman » Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:49 pm

You gonna throw out the Chorus IIs?
... :lol: :lol: :lol: ...we think alike!!!
In reality, it only matters what it sounds like to YOU!!!

rah
M-400t CUBE

Post by rah » Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:08 pm

jjptkd wrote:Congrats on the new speakers! =D> =D> You gonna throw out the Chorus IIs? :-k :-k
Don't want to. I may have to move to another office in the coming months which may not have room for the Chorus II's, plus a pair of Maggies. Two inch thick Maggies can fit anywhere, and can be easily moved even if they ocassionally need to be moved back to the wall when not in use (WAF won't allow me to take the Chorus II's to the house). But it's a bitch to move the Chorus's around.

BTW, I'm still looking for a pair of Magnepan 2.7's. If I ever find a pair I like, I'll sell the 1.7's.

The 2.7's are a 3-way with the same larger bass area of the 3.x series but with a quasi-ribbon instead of the true ribbon. It was only made for a few years. Rumor is it was too close in performance to the 3.x series and was hurting the 3 series sales.

Regarding the above poster's remark about Chorus's being bright - I've never found my Chorus II's to be bright - how about yours jjptkd?
My office (and only) system:
Sunfire Ultimate Receiver (thanks jjptkd!)
Sunfire Theater Grand Processor (with original remote!)
Carver TD-1770
Klipsch Chorus II's
Sony CA70ES 5-disc changer
Sony SACD 5-disc changer

jjptkd
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by jjptkd » Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:52 pm

The Chorus (probably most Klipsch speakers) can be unbearably bright when mated with the wrong equipment. Unfortunately, people hear these great speakers with overly bright stereo equipment (Adcom comes to mind) and blame it on the horns. ](*,) ](*,)
Oppo Sonica DAC
Sunfire TG-III
Sunfire 300x2
Klipsch Chorus II

nooshinjohn
SILVER-7t

Post by nooshinjohn » Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:17 pm

I have a Sunfire 425/5 running a pair of Magnepan MG-20's. It is by far the best sounding setup I have ever had. I am going to be lighting up my Tube Mono's soon and they will be paired with the Maggies, while the 425 gets to run the rest of the HT setup.

What strikes me the most is how effortlessly the sound seems to dance about the soundstage from these big panels. I come home at night and head straight for the remote and am always left speechless by what I hear. :D 8) Maggies and Sunfire are a near perfect match.
The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Polk Audio "Signature" Reference Series 1.2TL with complete mods, Pass Labs X1 two channel preamplifier Signed by Poppa himself, Pioneer PDD 9MkII SACD Player, Triangle Art Reference SE prototype, with Walker Precision speed controller and Origin Conqueror tonearm and Dynaudio 20x2, Pass Labs Xono twin chassis phono preamplifier, Pioneer Elite SC-65, Polk audio AB700/800 "in-wall" surrounds, Oppo BDP-93

Return to “Sunfire Home Audio”