Sunfire 600 needs repair

Sunfire Home Audio (Stereo) Discussions and Questions
rah
M-400t CUBE

Sunfire 600 needs repair

Post by rah » Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:56 am

Well, my Sunfire Signature (the "Non Signature" one) that I bought a year ago that the former owner had Rita's do the rebuild in late 2009 started acting up. The left channel would intermittantly cut in and out. Thought it might be the interconnects or bananas but it kept coming back, always in the left channel. Figured it had to be the amp so took it to a reputable shop here in Houston.

Diagnosis: Left channel driver circuit needs repair - $475! Don't know what that really means, but this is really disappointing since it had the overhaul at Rita's just 3 years ago.

What are you guys doing now for repair on our Sunfire units?
My office (and only) system:
Sunfire Ultimate Receiver (thanks jjptkd!)
Sunfire Theater Grand Processor (with original remote!)
Carver TD-1770
Klipsch Chorus II's
Sony CA70ES 5-disc changer
Sony SACD 5-disc changer

nooshinjohn
SILVER-7t

Re: Sunfire 600 needs repair

Post by nooshinjohn » Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:22 pm

Everyone is sending them to me for a respectful memorial service and a proper burial. :-"
The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Polk Audio "Signature" Reference Series 1.2TL with complete mods, Pass Labs X1 two channel preamplifier Signed by Poppa himself, Pioneer PDD 9MkII SACD Player, Triangle Art Reference SE prototype, with Walker Precision speed controller and Origin Conqueror tonearm and Dynaudio 20x2, Pass Labs Xono twin chassis phono preamplifier, Pioneer Elite SC-65, Polk audio AB700/800 "in-wall" surrounds, Oppo BDP-93

kingman
(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post by kingman » Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:24 pm

Tom at Vintage Hi-Fi is the hookup!!!! http://vintagehifipgh.com/
In reality, it only matters what it sounds like to YOU!!!

jjptkd
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by jjptkd » Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:26 pm

Bill from Rita's should be up and running with his own repair shop after the first of the year.
Oppo Sonica DAC
Sunfire TG-III
Sunfire 300x2
Klipsch Chorus II

thuffman03
!! CarverFest Evictee !!

Post by thuffman03 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:38 pm

kingman wrote:Tom at Vintage Hi-Fi is the hookup!!!! http://vintagehifipgh.com/
Tom fixed mine about a year ago and it has been running great!
Some cool Carver stuff!

wrstps
TFM-6cb

Post by wrstps » Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:23 pm

Why not send it to Rolland and get a complete chasis refurb for the same price? and have other issues that might crop up taken care of. I send all of my equimpment to him and have never had any problems.
Ray

rah
M-400t CUBE

Post by rah » Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:15 pm

I'm just dissapointed that 3 years after having the full service done at Rita's this happens. Not sure what a "driver circuit" is.

Not crazy about shipping it both ways again either all the way to the upper west or upper east coast. And it's not just the cost but who knows what tiny little fractures ect happen inside the amp when shipped long distances.

I don't know, might end up on the bay for someone else to deal with.
My office (and only) system:
Sunfire Ultimate Receiver (thanks jjptkd!)
Sunfire Theater Grand Processor (with original remote!)
Carver TD-1770
Klipsch Chorus II's
Sony CA70ES 5-disc changer
Sony SACD 5-disc changer

reummisioli

re:GarderobeMaster

Post by reummisioli » Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:21 am

I do not know why, but I think this is not so much ...

jjptkd
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by jjptkd » Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:10 pm

Spoke with Bill about pricing, he's thinking $300 flat rate for Sunfire repairs and $200 for plate amp repairs plus shipping both ways. He has his bench assembled but not quite running yet. He still has to move etc so I'm guessing after the first of the year he'll be ready for anyone who needs help.
Oppo Sonica DAC
Sunfire TG-III
Sunfire 300x2
Klipsch Chorus II

Carv-it-up
TFM-6cb

Post by Carv-it-up » Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:08 am

Not trying to hijack the thread, but I’m having (my tech.) is having an issue with two of my amps. Both are Signature series, one is a 5ch and the other is a 2ch. The amps were working when I took them to him; I just wanted to have the bulbs in the meter area replaced. After the tech removed the tops on the amps, the amps won’t power up. He said he gets only 12 volts across the rail (I'm not savvy enough to know what that really means). Does anyone here have any possible solutions to help me get my amps back to life? The tech is a pretty heady guy. I believe he’s the only Authorized tech to work on all of McIntosh's stuff here on the west coast and the only tech in the nation for their car audio line. Bob even trusted him to work on my Cherry 180’s when I had a problem with one of them acting up. I don’t have Bob’s new number so I couldn’t contact him for assistance this go-around.
Two Signature Cinema Grand Series II amplifiers (both are used in bi-amping my Infinity IRS Beta speakers)
Cherry 180's (use them off & on to power the mids/highs tower of IRS Beta speakers)
Sunfire Signature 600~Two amplifier (used on Thiel CS5i)
Carver TX-12 tuner
Own & working, but not in use right now - Sunfire Series II amplifier + two Carver M500t MKII amplifiers + Sunfire Classic Vacuum Tube Preamplifier preamp w/ phono & remote.

Return to “Sunfire Home Audio”