Sunfire Classic Tube Pre Tube Rolling

Sunfire Home Audio (Stereo) Discussions and Questions
Magnaryder
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Sunfire Classic Tube Pre Tube Rolling

Post by Magnaryder » Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:37 pm

When I acquired my Sunfire Tube Pre from Angelo(thanks BTW) it had the original tubes in it. I had been running a modified C-1 since my Lightstar Direct took a dump, but the Sunfire is a completely different animal. The differences are night and day. Beemers had modded the C-1 a bit and the sound was pretty darn good. I enjoyed the phono section very much, getting me back into looking over my little vinyl collection for LPs that never made it to CD or just sound better. Mike Beam gave me a set of Bugle Boy 6DJ8s for the front end. Huge difference over the stockers, even running that little Technics TT I had at CarverFest. After acquiring the Ariston RD-40 TT I thought I might want to dig up some better tubes for the phono section of the Sunfire. In comes some EIs meant for Tim deParavicini. I contacted the BobFather via tx and asked him what he thought. He gave the go ahaed and that's what I'm running in the front end now. I've moved the Bugle Boys to the MM side of the phono board. Between the two they've smoothed the harshness I heard in the Shure cart. Synergy Jesse calls it.

What I've been wondering is what do the rest of you run, one tube in the front and something different in the rear. All the same. Something different in each side of the phono board?

Let's hear from you.

I gotta say the DPS EIs sound great. The soundfield is broad and deep. Imaging is very good. And if anything the 'air' and detailing of instrument has gotten more pronounced. I like it. I was listening to the KISS UnPlugged LP. I can hear them strum each string and tap their feet. Simply Amazing

I've been running the Sunfire pre every chance I get. I think I have 175-180 hours on the tubes so they are probably broken in. I ran them at volume with the tuner playing too get some hours on them.

ray
Magnaryder

Its going to be used equipment when I sell it, so it may as well be used equipment when I buy it.

"Racing is life, the rest of the time you're just sitting around."-Steve McQueen

mbskeam
(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Re: Sunfire Classic Tube Pre Tube Rolling

Post by mbskeam » Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:17 pm

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=7194

in mine I have RCA gold pins V2,V3 and CEI V1 in the front end
on the phono 12AX7 DYNACO smooth plates (tellys)
Buggle boys for the rest
Mbskeam

SILVER 7's
Amazing Line Source
2 SVS PB16 SUBS
#1 BLACK BEAUTY's made by the man, the myth, the legend Bob Carver
CARVER: TFM-75, TFM-45(3), SD/A-490T
SUNFIRE: Tube pre
WTL Amadeus GTA+DV DRT XV-1t
2 sets of ALS'3, set of SILVERS, set of PLATS
AUDIOCONTROL: phase coupled activator
KENWOOD: BASIC M2a (2)

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”
― Aristophanes

The only thing I'll feel......will be the RECOIL
Necronomicon Ex-Mortis....... Klaatu Barada Nikkto
"We should seek the greatest value of our action"

Snoop65
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by Snoop65 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:33 pm

Glad to hear you joined the Sunfire Classic tube club Ray!!! Right now I'm running Amperex PQ 6922's in the line stage and two Siemens German made (there Siemens out there that are relabelled Mullards) dual post 12AX7's and a Siemens Cca 6922 in the moving magnet section. You can play around with the line stage with combinations. V1 is the contour,v2 is left channel and v3 is the right. You could swap a different tube into v1 while leaving v2 and v3 the same or do it the other way around swap v2 and v3 and leave v1 the same. There are plenty of 6DJ8/6922's out there to play with. Another favorite of mine is the Amperex 6DJ8 orange globes. I have also tried JAN Philips 6922's , JAN Sylvania 6922's and Siemens 6922's. I went with the Amperex PQ's because they offered a larger soundstage than the Siemens Cca's the offered better image focus. Both have very low noise floors and excellent detail.
CARVER LIGHTSTAR REFERENCE+SUNFIRE CLASSIC TUBE PREAMPLIFIER+JBL XPL200+MUSIC HALL MMF-9.1+GRADO REFERENCE MASTER 1+Cayin CDT-17a =WOW!!!!!!

Magnaryder
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by Magnaryder » Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:39 pm

I hope y'all are keeping warm, it's colder than a witches teet here in the heart of it all. I manages to acquire some 12ax7s from a seller on Audiogon to roll into my pre. In the lot was a Mullard, 2 EIs, 1 Amperex, 4 green dot Lindals(2 of which are blackplates), 2 new issue EHs, 2 new issue gold pin Genelex Gold Lions, 2 JJs, 2 Baldwins, 2 Hammonds and some GE Blackplate 5751s. I'm going to start rolling these through tonight as work has been called off for the 2nd day in a row. Where would you start?

Opinions?

Thanks in advance...

ray
Magnaryder

Its going to be used equipment when I sell it, so it may as well be used equipment when I buy it.

"Racing is life, the rest of the time you're just sitting around."-Steve McQueen

Magnaryder
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by Magnaryder » Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:58 pm

Along with my 12AX7 purchase I also acquired 16 6DJ8s or variants from the same seller. Some of them are the dot tops(blue and green) that were used in medical equipment. I found 4 of them and 2 of these were RCA blackplates. I got some Russian tubes and 5 6922s, 2 Bugle Boys and 2EIs. I also found 2 unlabeled 6922s with gold pins that look quite nice. I have alot of rolling in front of me.

Ray
Magnaryder

Magnaryder
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by Magnaryder » Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:06 pm

Tonight I'm rolling some vinyl through the Sunfire too! Along with the Sylvania 5751 blackplates.

Started with Toto IV, SGT Pepper, the Duke and the Chairman, Getz & Gliberto, Mr. Mister and some Jimi to round out the field.

I found a Lani Kazan I plan to put on later. Damn, she was smokin'...... s'pose that explains the centerfold :-$

ray
Magnaryder

Magnaryder
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by Magnaryder » Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:42 pm

Tonight I've listened to SaraK, Manhattan Transfer's Brazil, CarverFest'09 disc and right now Mark's CarverFest 11 CD.
The Tubes are sounding great AND the Obbligatto caps and Mills resistors have burnt in and sound Fan-Fucking-Tastic!!!

ray
Magnaryder

MRHP
SILVER-7t

Post by MRHP » Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:59 pm

My personal preferences are the older stuff. Anything about 1968 or before. Usually the older the better. Right now Im running a 1959 wrinkle glass Mullard 6922 in V1 and 1960 Raytheon 7308's in V2 & V3. Just play around and you will hit a combo that sounds awesome.
TFM-75 serial #0001
PT-2400 serial #0001
Baby Black Magic serial #0001
Baby Black Magic serial #0002
Cherry/260wpc Mono Blocks
Lightstar Reference
Sunfire Series II 625x2
Carver 490t
OPPO-103
Lucas Labs CF-14
Sunfire Tube pre
DENON DP-62L TT
DUAL CS 5000 TT
DQ-20's
Tesla CF-15 speakers
Douglas Cables
OK ERIC, LET GO OF THE MOUSE AND BACK AWAY FROM YOUR PC WITH YOUR HANDS IN THE AIR. NOW SLOWLY LAY FACE DOWN ON THE FLOOR!!!! - Snoop65

Snoop65
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by Snoop65 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:36 pm

Waiting for some Valvo 6922's made in Germany that I ordered. :D
CARVER LIGHTSTAR REFERENCE+SUNFIRE CLASSIC TUBE PREAMPLIFIER+JBL XPL200+MUSIC HALL MMF-9.1+GRADO REFERENCE MASTER 1+Cayin CDT-17a =WOW!!!!!!

MRHP
SILVER-7t

Post by MRHP » Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:08 pm

You gonna love them Valvo 6922's!!!
TFM-75 serial #0001
PT-2400 serial #0001
Baby Black Magic serial #0001
Baby Black Magic serial #0002
Cherry/260wpc Mono Blocks
Lightstar Reference
Sunfire Series II 625x2
Carver 490t
OPPO-103
Lucas Labs CF-14
Sunfire Tube pre
DENON DP-62L TT
DUAL CS 5000 TT
DQ-20's
Tesla CF-15 speakers
Douglas Cables
OK ERIC, LET GO OF THE MOUSE AND BACK AWAY FROM YOUR PC WITH YOUR HANDS IN THE AIR. NOW SLOWLY LAY FACE DOWN ON THE FLOOR!!!! - Snoop65

Return to “Sunfire Home Audio”