Ray

Did not get your PM with your Email address, please resend

Brian
Email sent

Brian
Thanks man!!!

ray
Magnaryder

Its going to be used equipment when I sell it, so it may as well be used equipment when I buy it.

"Racing is life, the rest of the time you're just sitting around."-Steve McQueen

Magnaryder
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Re: Cartridge loading the Sunfire Tube Pre

Post by Magnaryder » Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:40 pm

I hope y'all are keeping warm, it's colder than a witches teet here in the heart of it all. I manages to acquire some 12ax7s from a seller on Audiogon to roll into my pre. In the lot was a Mullard, 2 EIs, 1 Amperex, 4 green dot Lindals(2 of which are blackplates), 2 new issue EHs, 2 new issue gold pin Genelex Gold Lions, 2 JJs, 2 Baldwins, 2 Hammonds and some GE Blackplate 5751s. I'm going to start rolling these through tonight as work has been called off for the 2nd day in a row. Where would you start?

Opinions?

Thanks in advance...

ray
Magnaryder

Its going to be used equipment when I sell it, so it may as well be used equipment when I buy it.

"Racing is life, the rest of the time you're just sitting around."-Steve McQueen

Snoop65
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by Snoop65 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:13 pm

Just wing it!!! Telling you what's what might spoil the fun! :D Go into it without any expectations.
CARVER LIGHTSTAR REFERENCE+SUNFIRE CLASSIC TUBE PREAMPLIFIER+JBL XPL200+MUSIC HALL MMF-9.1+GRADO REFERENCE MASTER 1+Cayin CDT-17a =WOW!!!!!!

Magnaryder
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by Magnaryder » Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:36 pm

I'm going in....I'm going to try the blackplate Lindal green dots first, replacing the Russian stockers. If what I've been reading is true(its on the internet it has to be true if its on the internet...)the green dot means they were selected for medical equipment service. I hope that means the tolerances are closer. More later.

ray
Magnaryder

Snoop65
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by Snoop65 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:44 pm

Cool!!! I can't wait to hear your thoughts!
CARVER LIGHTSTAR REFERENCE+SUNFIRE CLASSIC TUBE PREAMPLIFIER+JBL XPL200+MUSIC HALL MMF-9.1+GRADO REFERENCE MASTER 1+Cayin CDT-17a =WOW!!!!!!

OconeeOrange
"Forum Troll"
"Forum Troll"

Post by OconeeOrange » Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:15 pm

Magnaryder wrote:I'm going in....I'm going to try the blackplate Lindal green dots first, replacing the Russian stockers. If what I've been reading is true(its on the internet it has to be true if its on the internet...)the green dot means they were selected for medical equipment service. I hope that means the tolerances are closer. More later.

ray
I did that, with photos here.
http://yardcraphome.com/showthread.php? ... Audio-work

That link may not post here due to WTF. Contact SNOOP via PM for the link.

I have two of these preamps. Snoop sent me Amprex tubes for one [-o<
One still has the original Soviets. Maybe while we are frozen over, will set up a click and compare contest between them for a few with some different tubes.

Hate to spoil the party, but so far I prefer JJ gold plate as they are clear (bright?).
Sometimes I think "rare" or "expensive" gets too much credit if not compared in the dreaded "blind test" experts hate.

Magnaryder
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by Magnaryder » Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:54 pm

OconeeOrange wrote: Hate to spoil the party, but so far I prefer JJ gold plate as they are clear (bright?).
Sometimes I think "rare" or "expensive" gets too much credit if not compared in the dreaded "blind test" experts hate.
Ah, the single kernel of truth in all of hifi. Well said Bill!! I was reading a 2008 copy of Stereophile magazine in which John Adkinson interviewing J. Gordon Holt where Holt remarked the failure of the 'HighEnd' to legitimize itself was lost, because in his words ' unlike ALL other scientific endeavors the HighEnd does not embrace blind (A/B/X) testing'. He went on to complain that amplified music has ruined playback because we don't know how live instruments sound. Holt was pining for the glorious lost days of grand console hi-fis and their lush midrange. I found a nice little 1964 Telefunken hifi akin to one Holt spoke.... it sounded like crap. The tubes however, sound magnificent in a CaverFest amp.

Shit, the only time I hear a 'live' instrument that isn't miked or amplified is when the girls are practicing their instruments or we go to a recital. I go out to see live performances with 30-40,000 of my favorite friends, I'd like it amplified...thank you!!

I do agree with Bill. Every time someone has been put to a blind test at a CarverFest they've failed miserably. Now let me qualify that by saying an inordinate amount of alcohol was consumed before, during and after said testing that may have influenced the outcome.

ray
Magnaryder

Magnaryder
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by Magnaryder » Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:45 pm

Ok, so far I've listened to several Eagles LPs, Funkadelic's Maggot Brain, ELP's Tarkus, and a FRESH copy of 'Let it Be', The Chairman's 'September of my Years', Tim Weisberg's 'Tip of the Weisburg', and Frank Marino & Mahogany Rush's 'Tales of the Unexpected. I listened to these album after I sealed the deal on the tubes.

the rig: Ariston RD-40(Cardas phono wiring), Shure V15 type III G cart, Sunfire Tube pre, 2 bridged CF amps(modded), CarverAudio interconnects, DIY speaker cables and Alesis Monitor 1 speakers(modded with 5uf RelCaps on the tweeters)

This is what I've heard so far:

from notes I took before

A deepening of the soundfield, the Eagles took on alot of depth.

MUCH better imaging. The space between each player has grown more.

Tonal balance is FRELLING Fantastic!!!

If you haven't heard 'Tales of the Unexpected' listen to it. This is the best I've heard this album sound. Frank covers Jimi and the Fab4, fucking incredible!!

Wow!!! This set of tubes sounds great. I have 3 set of Lindals, but only one set of the blackplates. The litmus test will be Grand Funk Railroad's 'We're an American Band' . I have 3 copies of this LP and they all suck:-( Don't get me wrong I love GFR but you can tell the songs were engineered/mixed by different people in different places. Some sound great, other sucks. Sadly, the songs I happen to like sound like ass. I'll let you know what I hear in the next installment.

ray
Magnaryder

Magnaryder
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by Magnaryder » Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:32 pm

Fuck me!!!! I ran the Fortes in the mix tonight. It sounded fan-fucking-tastic!!! I listened to Weather Report and Molly Hatchet on the Alesis Monitor ones, then put my modded Klipsch Fortes in the mix. I played StarCasles self-titled album...wooofreekinhoo!!! As the noo toobs break in it just keeps getting better.

George, you diggin your new 'Fragile' tonight?

Listening to Duran Duran's 'RIO' I really didn't like these guys but this LP sounds pretty damn good.

ray
Magnaryder

Zoot Horn
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by Zoot Horn » Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:22 am

Congrats,,, sounds like you've got it "dialed in",,, as the nascar boys say!!

Those little monitors sound big,,eh?

Magnaryder
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by Magnaryder » Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:27 pm

Zoot Horn wrote:
Those little monitors sound big,,eh?

Not bad :-) A little better after the addition of the RelCaps. Cleaner. More articulate, for lack of a better term. I'm making quite a few changes to my rig right now. Starting work on the pre this weekend. Looking at 5687s and 6X4s for it. Right now I've collected over 70 new tubes to roll in the Sunfire in the last 2 weeks, all 6DJ8 or 12AX7 derivatives... all bahgans. I inherited my father's tube tester but I have to pick up a manual from eprey before I can use it. Getting there slowly but surely. I think I might sell the Telefunken tubes that I got out of the HiFi to fund the Hammond el84 buy. They're a complete set. All 1964 or earlier.

ray
Magnaryder

Zoot Horn
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by Zoot Horn » Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:37 pm

I've got you covered on the 6x4's-- I'll be digging them out this w/e when I put the Christmas gear back in storage--I'll be sending some shortly

Magnaryder
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by Magnaryder » Sat Jan 11, 2014 2:43 pm

Zoot Horn wrote:I've got you covered on the 6x4's-- I'll be digging them out this w/e when I put the Christmas gear back in storage--I'll be sending some shortly
Let me know what I owe you please.

ray
Magnaryder

stereo_buff
TFM-55

Post by stereo_buff » Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:55 pm

Magnaryder wrote:In my quest for better sound through correct system set-up I did some research on my phono cart and found it needs 400-500pf of loading. Anyone know how to accomplish this? Looking around the net I've noticed the BigDog(big$$$) phono pres have switchable capacitance and resistive loading.

I've installed 3 deParavicini EI 7DJ8s on the main board and 4 on the phono board. I still have the stock 12AX7s on the phono board. How significant could a tube change here be?

ray
The 12AX7s on the phono PCB provide the majority of gain required. I inadvertently replaced mine with 5751s (thinking I was being real cagey) and the phono sounded horrible. I subsequently replaced the 5751s with Amperex 12AX7s and life was worth living again! Trying different 12AX7 tubes on the phono PCB can make a TREMENDOUS difference in the sound.

Good Luck!

Magnaryder
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by Magnaryder » Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:49 pm

stereo_buff wrote:
Magnaryder wrote:In my quest for better sound through correct system set-up I did some research on my phono cart and found it needs 400-500pf of loading. Anyone know how to accomplish this? Looking around the net I've noticed the BigDog(big$$$) phono pres have switchable capacitance and resistive loading.

I've installed 3 deParavicini EI 7DJ8s on the main board and 4 on the phono board. I still have the stock 12AX7s on the phono board. How significant could a tube change here be?

ray
The 12AX7s on the phono PCB provide the majority of gain required. I inadvertently replaced mine with 5751s (thinking I was being real cagey) and the phono sounded horrible.

Eric 'MRHP' had differing experiences with the 5751s. He was digging them. I'll give them a try.

I subsequently replaced the 5751s with Amperex 12AX7s and life was worth living again! Trying different 12AX7 tubes on the phono PCB can make a TREMENDOUS difference in the sound.

Good Luck!
Right now I've got the Lindal green dot blackplates in there surrounded by the deParavicini 7DJ8s on the phono and the main boards . Sounds great to me. It might be your cartridge's output is to low for the 5751 combination.

ray
Magnaryder

Return to “Sunfire Home Audio”