Is it safe to bridge my Sunfire amp?

Sunfire Home Audio (Stereo) Discussions and Questions
Magnaryder
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Re: Is it safe to bridge my Sunfire amp?

Post by Magnaryder » Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:34 pm

hewlew1 wrote:Califorification

Frankied knows all about this term. \:D/
yeah but he's forgotten what it means. too much box wine.

bwaahahahaha

ray
Magnaryder

Its going to be used equipment when I sell it, so it may as well be used equipment when I buy it.

"Racing is life, the rest of the time you're just sitting around."-Steve McQueen

angelod307
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by angelod307 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:01 am

Yes , with two cinema grands, he has two two channels with resistors . So one amp left and one right via resistance provided. Only resistor channels can be summed. That is my theory applied from the two channel manual.
CarverFest: I just go for the arts and crafts

angelod307
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by angelod307 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:06 am

Now on that ten times the power , negative. You need six to ten db depending on frequency for perceived double in loudness. So then three db is achieved when you double power from say 1 watt to two watts. It can also be doubled by twice the area radiating via two speakers with the same impedance . Now double a speaker by adding another in parallel then you also half the impedance which also adds three db of power for that predictable output .
CarverFest: I just go for the arts and crafts

TNRabbit
R.I.P. Friend
R.I.P. Friend

Post by TNRabbit » Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:48 am

angelod307 wrote:Yes , with two cinema grands, he has two two channels with resistors . So one amp left and one right via resistance provided. Only resistor channels can be summed. That is my theory applied from the two channel manual.
So you're willing to bet that your supposition won't leave the OP with a melted amp?
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.

Carv-it-up
TFM-6cb

Post by Carv-it-up » Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:39 am

I think I'm going to leave things the way they are unfortunately. I don't want to mess up my amps or my speakers when I'm not hundred percent sure that this would work. The doubling of power would have been nice for the added headroom, but it's not crucial. If anyone has Bob's number and can ask the specific question I have posed here about the CG's, I would deeply appreciate it. Thanks.
Two Signature Cinema Grand Series II amplifiers (both are used in bi-amping my Infinity IRS Beta speakers)
Cherry 180's (use them off & on to power the mids/highs tower of IRS Beta speakers)
Sunfire Signature 600~Two amplifier (used on Thiel CS5i)
Carver TX-12 tuner
Own & working, but not in use right now - Sunfire Series II amplifier + two Carver M500t MKII amplifiers + Sunfire Classic Vacuum Tube Preamplifier preamp w/ phono & remote.

jjptkd
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by jjptkd » Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:42 pm

Sounds to me like you have 400 watts available for each woofer... :-k :-k Can you power each woofer separately?
Oppo Sonica DAC
Sunfire TG-III
Sunfire 300x2
Klipsch Chorus II

Carv-it-up
TFM-6cb

Post by Carv-it-up » Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:51 pm

No I cannot power each sub separately. What I could do later on down the road is wire each of the 4ohm subs in parallel to produce and one ohm load to the one channel that I'm using from my cinema grand amps. I was just in hopes that it would be an easier route bridging amplifier. What I would like to know is with a one ohm load will the sound change? I believe I read somewhere that the lower the impedance, with woofers, the muddier the sound.
Two Signature Cinema Grand Series II amplifiers (both are used in bi-amping my Infinity IRS Beta speakers)
Cherry 180's (use them off & on to power the mids/highs tower of IRS Beta speakers)
Carver TX-12 tuner
Own & working, but not in use right now - Sunfire Series II amplifier + two Carver M500t MKII amplifiers + Sunfire Classic Vacuum Tube Preamplifier preamp w/ phono & remote.

Carv-it-up
TFM-6cb

Post by Carv-it-up » Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:52 pm

I am trying to avoid altering the wiring of the speaker if I can.
Last edited by Carv-it-up on Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Carver TX-12 tuner

TNRabbit
R.I.P. Friend
R.I.P. Friend

Post by TNRabbit » Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:54 pm

One ohm load wouldn't be good.

you'd be better off separated the driving each one with 1 channel
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.

Carv-it-up
TFM-6cb

Post by Carv-it-up » Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:53 pm

Mmmm taps for each speakers sounds like it would be the best way to go if bridging can't be done.
Carver TX-12 tuner

frankieD
Frankie The Mouth

Post by frankieD » Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:30 pm

Carv-it-up wrote:No I cannot power each sub separately. What I could do later on down the road is wire each of the 4ohm subs in parallel to produce and one ohm load to the one channel that I'm using from my cinema grand amps. I was just in hopes that it would be an easier route bridging amplifier. What I would like to know is with a one ohm load will the sound change? I believe I read somewhere that the lower the impedance, with woofers, the muddier the sound.
A "one ohm load" will pretty quickly produce the sound of an amp burning up.

MRHP
SILVER-7t

Post by MRHP » Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:44 pm

I have been told the Lightstar will run 1 ohm with ease and even drop into 1/2 ohm teritory without any trouble. Any truth to this?
TFM-75 serial #0001
PT-2400 serial #0001
Baby Black Magic serial #0001
Baby Black Magic serial #0002
Cherry/260wpc Mono Blocks
Lightstar Reference
Sunfire Series II 625x2
Carver 490t
OPPO-103
Lucas Labs CF-14
Sunfire Tube pre
DENON DP-62L TT
DUAL CS 5000 TT
DQ-20's
Tesla CF-15 speakers
Douglas Cables
OK ERIC, LET GO OF THE MOUSE AND BACK AWAY FROM YOUR PC WITH YOUR HANDS IN THE AIR. NOW SLOWLY LAY FACE DOWN ON THE FLOOR!!!! - Snoop65

Snoop65
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by Snoop65 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:50 pm

MRHP wrote:I have been told the Lightstar will run 1 ohm with ease and even drop into 1/2 ohm teritory without any trouble. Any truth to this?
Yup! :D
CARVER LIGHTSTAR REFERENCE+SUNFIRE CLASSIC TUBE PREAMPLIFIER+JBL XPL200+MUSIC HALL MMF-9.1+GRADO REFERENCE MASTER 1+Cayin CDT-17a =WOW!!!!!!

Carv-it-up
TFM-6cb

Post by Carv-it-up » Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:13 pm

I thought the Sunfire was just as stable into low low impedance as the Lightstar?

...matter of fact, I have an article that says the Sunfire Sig. was used at 0.5 ohms for shaker boxes with no problems, but burnt-out meter light bulbs. I guess I can't believe everything that's printed in a magazine.
Carver TX-12 tuner

Snoop65
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by Snoop65 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:17 pm

Carv-it-up wrote:I thought the Sunfire was just as stable into low low impedance as the Lightstar?
The Lightstar is a different beast. The Sunfire has to be modded for 1 ohm operation.
CARVER LIGHTSTAR REFERENCE+SUNFIRE CLASSIC TUBE PREAMPLIFIER+JBL XPL200+MUSIC HALL MMF-9.1+GRADO REFERENCE MASTER 1+Cayin CDT-17a =WOW!!!!!!

Return to “Sunfire Home Audio”