Don't be this guy!

Sunfire Home Audio (Stereo) Discussions and Questions
angelod307
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Re: Don't be this guy!

Post by angelod307 » Fri Jul 17, 2015 8:22 pm

Snoop65 wrote:I recently had my Sunfire Tube pre upgraded at SoundSmith in Peekskill NY. They replaced all the caps in the signal path. They might be able to help you. 914-739-2885 Ask for Mark (service manager ) or Peter (owner and designer)
See, it was there broken down, why on earth they did not persuade you to replace all the electrolytic caps .....just saying as my kids have said .....they all fail sooner than later
CarverFest: I just go for the arts and crafts

Miko1971
TFM-6cb

Post by Miko1971 » Fri Jul 17, 2015 8:45 pm

I noticed that too...

Snoop65
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by Snoop65 » Fri Jul 17, 2015 8:56 pm

angelod307 wrote:
Snoop65 wrote:I recently had my Sunfire Tube pre upgraded at SoundSmith in Peekskill NY. They replaced all the caps in the signal path. They might be able to help you. 914-739-2885 Ask for Mark (service manager ) or Peter (owner and designer)
See, it was there broken down, why on earth they did not persuade you to replace all the electrolytic caps .....just saying as my kids have said .....they all fail sooner than later
Actually they did. Also my unit wasn't broken I just had them upgrade some parts.
Last edited by Snoop65 on Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CARVER LIGHTSTAR REFERENCE+SUNFIRE CLASSIC TUBE PREAMPLIFIER+JBL XPL200+MUSIC HALL MMF-9.1+GRADO REFERENCE MASTER 1+Cayin CDT-17a =WOW!!!!!!

Snoop65
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by Snoop65 » Fri Jul 17, 2015 8:58 pm

Sounds good! Looking forward to your thoughts on the sound. I added a furutech iec a few years back.
CARVER LIGHTSTAR REFERENCE+SUNFIRE CLASSIC TUBE PREAMPLIFIER+JBL XPL200+MUSIC HALL MMF-9.1+GRADO REFERENCE MASTER 1+Cayin CDT-17a =WOW!!!!!!

Miko1971
TFM-6cb

Post by Miko1971 » Fri Jul 17, 2015 10:09 pm

I forgot a couple things:

new power transformer, new tube rectifier and voltage regulator

NOS Tubes... I'll let J.C. try out a few he has on hand and let him pick out a set for me.

As a nod to the Late Great Ken Shindo, I'm going to have the top drilled with circular tube vents above each one.

I'm pretty amped up and looking forward to hearing what'll sound like. This is the first time I've actually had a component modified to this degree. I figure why blow a few grand on a new one when I have this? I love my Sunfire Stuff!

Snoop65
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by Snoop65 » Fri Jul 17, 2015 10:32 pm

Miko1971 wrote:I forgot a couple things:

new power transformer, new tube rectifier and voltage regulator

NOS Tubes... I'll let J.C. try out a few he has on hand and let him pick out a set for me.
There are LOTS of choices with NOS tubes. MRHP and I have been sharing tube experiences for quite sometime. Here are a few suggestions, Amperex orange globe 6DJ8's , Amperex PQ 6922 (USA made) Amperex Bugle Boy 6DJ8's, Amperex 7308 (USA or Holland made but I think the Holland ones sound best), Valve 6922's (I prefer the German made ones), Siemens CCA 6922 , Siemens 6922 ,JAN Philips 6922 and JAN Sylvania 6922. Getting the right tube depends on your tastes and system as a whole. What's great me could be just good for you. Gets some tubes and roll them yourself. You'll have a blast! You can also experiment by putting one tube type in V1 (the contour tube) and a different type in V2 and V3 (channel left and right). You can tweak things to your liking. Currently I'm using 3 Amperex 7308's in the line section , 2 Mulland 10M 12AX7's, 1 Siemens 6922 and 3 Amperex Orange Globe 6DJ8's in the phono stage.

Snoop65
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by Snoop65 » Fri Jul 17, 2015 10:33 pm

Helicopter pilot Doug uses Telefunken 6922's and he loves them!

Miko1971
TFM-6cb

Post by Miko1971 » Fri Jul 17, 2015 11:41 pm

Exactly why I can't let myself even sniff the intoxicatingly rich world of nos tubes! I'd have a OCD breakdown and ass rape my bank account! I've used the stock tubes since day one. First time I opened it up was to see what the hell was burning up! Best let J.C. be the adult and just pick a set or I'm going to get myself in trouble!

Snoop65
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by Snoop65 » Sat Jul 18, 2015 1:03 am

Miko1971 wrote:Exactly why I can't let myself even sniff the intoxicatingly rich world of nos tubes! I'd have a OCD breakdown and ass rape my bank account! I've used the stock tubes since day one. First time I opened it up was to see what the hell was burning up! Best let J.C. be the adult and just pick a set or I'm going to get myself in trouble!
Lol!!! I understand perfectly! That's why it is equally gratifying when you get some NOS tubes for a steal. NOS tubes will definitely elevate the sound of your preamp though. Good luck!!!

BrianT
Pair of Silver Sevens

Post by BrianT » Sat Jul 18, 2015 5:05 am

Snoop65 wrote:Helicopter pilot Doug uses Telefunken 6922's and he loves them!
So do I, all 3 in the line stage are Telefunken E88CC/6922

I,m very interested in the cap changes that where made in your units.

Brian
VPI Classic Turntable (black)
Transfiguration Phoenix Cartridge
Devialet 440PRO Mono Blocks
Audioprana SP/DIF-AES/EBU cable
Auralic Aires G2 Music Server
Audience AU24 USB cable
B&W 803D3 Speakers (black)
Auditorium 23 Speaker Cables
Raysonic CD-168 CDP (silver)
Carver TX11

Miko1971
TFM-6cb

Post by Miko1971 » Sun Jul 19, 2015 12:27 pm

He will be changing out 6 Caps, They will be replaced with V-Cap CuTF"s, 4 of 1uF and 2 of 0.22uF..Those "not so little Bastards" are very expensive. From what i understand, the Pre has 8 caps, these 6 are in the signal path and the other 2 must be related to the power supply. As he will be removing/replacing the power supply with a Tube regulated one, i'm guessing he will remove those other 2. He will be adding 2 tubes for the power supply. We finalized the build late last night.

with a couple add on's and what not, this has become THE MOTHER OF ALL UPGRADES.....it's exceeded my original budget by 100% Just the Caps alone account for a whopping 72% increase in costs. They will be matched to within 0.5% of each other and that adds to the price.

Here is the Upgrade breakdown:

1. 4 toggle switch upgrade to ARC style flat paddle.
2. Replace fuse holder and install AH Platinum reference fuse
3. Upgrade Internal 2 main signal/power wiring buss with Hi Q silver wires
4. 6 Vishay naked Z foil resistor's
5. 4 Vibrapod isolator's and add EAR isodamp SD 40AL inside of chassis and center part of top inside cover.
6. Alps motorized volume pot with remote. Remove the cable buss and other components to all fit in plus add the infrared remote sensor and the driver
assembly PCB, R.C components, wiring harness.
7. Remove AC outlets, install metal block off plate and paint black.
8. Replace 3 main signal tubes with NOS.
9. 2 Bybeee music rails on line stage.
10. V cap CuTF, 4 of 1uF and 2 of 0.22uF.
11. Tube base power supply which include's Premium power transformer, tube rectifier, choke,tube voltage regulator, 2 power tubes
12. Azuma silver ceramic tube sockets
13. Drill 5 tube holes on top of cover and black color touch up
14. Power diodes to FRED soft recovery type, remove the stock power cord to install Furutech AC inlet.
15. original repair of pcb board.

BrianT
Pair of Silver Sevens

Post by BrianT » Sun Jul 19, 2015 6:04 pm

Miko1971 wrote:He will be changing out 6 Caps, They will be replaced with V-Cap CuTF"s, 4 of 1uF and 2 of 0.22uF..Those "not so little Bastards" are very expensive. From what i understand, the Pre has 8 caps, these 6 are in the signal path and the other 2 must be related to the power supply. As he will be removing/replacing the power supply with a Tube regulated one, i'm guessing he will remove those other 2. He will be adding 2 tubes for the power supply. We finalized the build late last night.

with a couple add on's and what not, this has become THE MOTHER OF ALL UPGRADES.....it's exceeded my original budget by 100% Just the Caps alone account for a whopping 72% increase in costs. They will be matched to within 0.5% of each other and that adds to the price.

Here is the Upgrade breakdown:

1. 4 toggle switch upgrade to ARC style flat paddle.
2. Replace fuse holder and install AH Platinum reference fuse
3. Upgrade Internal 2 main signal/power wiring buss with Hi Q silver wires
4. 6 Vishay naked Z foil resistor's
5. 4 Vibrapod isolator's and add EAR isodamp SD 40AL inside of chassis and center part of top inside cover.
6. Alps motorized volume pot with remote. Remove the cable buss and other components to all fit in plus add the infrared remote sensor and the driver
assembly PCB, R.C components, wiring harness.
7. Remove AC outlets, install metal block off plate and paint black.
8. Replace 3 main signal tubes with NOS.
9. 2 Bybeee music rails on line stage.
10. V cap CuTF, 4 of 1uF and 2 of 0.22uF.
11. Tube base power supply which include's Premium power transformer, tube rectifier, choke,tube voltage regulator, 2 power tubes
12. Azuma silver ceramic tube sockets
13. Drill 5 tube holes on top of cover and black color touch up
14. Power diodes to FRED soft recovery type, remove the stock power cord to install Furutech AC inlet.
15. original repair of pcb board.
That is some upgrade, we all need pictures and locations when its done.

Brian
VPI Classic Turntable (black)
Transfiguration Phoenix Cartridge
Devialet 440PRO Mono Blocks
Audioprana SP/DIF-AES/EBU cable
Auralic Aires G2 Music Server
Audience AU24 USB cable
B&W 803D3 Speakers (black)
Auditorium 23 Speaker Cables
Raysonic CD-168 CDP (silver)
Carver TX11

Return to “Sunfire Home Audio”