SF 300x2 meter needle in slow motion

Sunfire Home Audio (Stereo) Discussions and Questions
niccolosito

SF 300x2 meter needle in slow motion

Post by niccolosito » Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:22 pm

Got myself a 300x2 today and the first thing I noticed was that the meter needle didn't swing back fast to the left as it should when turned off but rather decayed very so slowly. #-o I just read that meter readings are just that and don't really signify the condition of the amp but still, what's wrong with the meter/needle? Would a little Deoxit help?

Haven't done anything to it yet except plug it in and saw that happen.

The first two digits on the serial number are 9 & 6 although the receipt that came with it from the presumably first owner was dated 8/14/1999. FWIW, he paid $2,273.25 for it in '99 dollars!

Will open it up tomorrow for a little dusting and photo opp and hope for nothing but good sounds from her.
Last edited by niccolosito on Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

radioeng2
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Re: SF 300x2 meter needle in slow motion

Post by radioeng2 » Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:34 pm

NO...do not use deoxit on a meter.

Somebody that knows how that individual unit responds will be along, but to me that sounds like the PS doesn't decay real fast.

An analog meter has the meter movement riding on a little hair thread down thru the center. That can break by being jounced hard. A broken meter can move some maybe but just not right. Or sometimes the needle is laying off to one side and it's clear it broke. But I've seen one that was hard to tell exactly what was wrong. But if it's moving right otherwise, then it's probably not a broke movement. I mention it as I've run into replacement a meter on a device that it turned out to be terribly expensive and it was all through rough handling.

Mark
I was there "At the Fest!" Hope you were too!

niccolosito

Post by niccolosito » Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:39 am

Thanks for responding, Mark. I'm hoping some of them knowledgeable gents who have more than a bit of experience with the 300x2 will soon throw in their 2-cents ...AngeloD, kamausa, nooshinjohn, elgrau, erniejade1... everybody! Gary? [-o<

Anything in particular to check out? The first owner, a very nice gentleman named Bob, mentioned that there's a slight hum and other than that, the amp sounds great. I guess I'll soon find out for myself, lol!

It would be great to hear that this meter issue does not affect the over-all performance of the amp. 8-[

TNRabbit
R.I.P. Friend
R.I.P. Friend

Post by TNRabbit » Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:05 am

Never seen that issue....I'm not sure of the cause!

Good luck!
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.

niccolosito

Post by niccolosito » Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:03 pm

Powered up the amp with a pair of small, "disposable" speakers and a low frequency hum was coming out of the speakers. Didn't bother to do any sound check.
Will open it up later today and will try to post some nudies.

Any comments on the hum will be much appreciated. Will do my part and try to read everything that I can find on the 'net about the amp. So far, there doesn't seem to be that much material to be excited about.

Thanks for responding, Gary. As always, you're there in times like this.

Return to “Sunfire Home Audio”