True Subwofe Signaturer fuse pops

Sunfire Home Audio (Stereo) Discussions and Questions
Glenlivet
M-400t CUBE

True Subwofe Signaturer fuse pops

Post by Glenlivet » Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:52 pm

Hi all. I just noticed my system sounding nutless, saw the subwoofer red light not on. Blown slo-blo fuse. I could not find documentation and the plate does not indicate the right size but it's a 6 1/4 amp 250 V slo blo. I didn't have the very fuse but I had a 5 amp slo blow fuse and I thought there must be a decent margin of engineered tolerance built in to the system that would use the oddly accurate 6 1/4 amp fuse so I tried it. Within 15 minutes that one blew too.
I'm sure not going to try a larger rated fuse than called for... but it looks a bit like a trend shaping up, of blowing outside fuses. (Getting another 6 1/4 might be tough from here)

But something made the first one go and something makes it want more than a 5 amp fuse will allow. Anyone have any seat of the pants advice on this? Thanks

Mike Stuart

kingman
(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Re: True Subwofe Signaturer fuse pops

Post by kingman » Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:23 am

By no means trying to give you expert diagnosis, if it runs for a while and then pops the fuse, something is heating up inside to a point that causes the fuse to pop. I would have it looked at by a professional before major damage could occur. If you don't have a local option, Bill Flannery repairs the plate amp.

Telephone // (425) 232-9560
E-Mail // sunfirebill1@gmail.com
In reality, it only matters what it sounds like to YOU!!!

jjptkd
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by jjptkd » Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:58 am

+1 on sending the plate to Bill Flannery, nobody knows these plates better than him and he replaces dozens of parts to make them better than new. Considering your plate is 15-20 years old it's probably due for a refresh.
Oppo Sonica DAC
Sunfire TG-III
Sunfire 300x2
Klipsch Chorus II

Glenlivet
M-400t CUBE

Post by Glenlivet » Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:40 pm

Actually the plate's a little over a year in service from re and re from a major reputable source.

radioeng2
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by radioeng2 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 4:11 pm

Glenlivet wrote:Actually the plate's a little over a year in service from re and re from a major reputable source.
Given the recent servicing, then maybe you should give a shot at them to see if they checked the normal current draw and can comment on the difference between the 5A and the 6 and an eighth.

If a fuse doesn't blow on start up, then the start up surge isn't getting it and the ps input diodes aren't blown from a recent surge either. Then it's a question of how much normal operation pulls upwards towards that fuse value. If reasonable operation is assumed, then the other thing that would blow it shortly is improper blocking between stages (should have been addressed in a proper rework) or something heating up that shouldn't or it switching to a higher voltage rail that's bad. Or maybe something cooked with the driver itself. Does the driver move freely when you gently and evenly press it in and let it come back out? Do any lights on it indicate differently than normal?

Mark
I was there "At the Fest!" Hope you were too!

Glenlivet
M-400t CUBE

Post by Glenlivet » Fri Apr 14, 2017 4:58 pm

Thanks, the driver is free, it worked perfectly for at least 15 minutes with an (admittedly with under sized 5 amp fuse) before going silent and lights off again.
I was just shooting from the hip, wondering if there's some known penchant these things might have for blowing the fuse, where someone might say, "Oh that's the Flibbity Jib Jab, you just do this simple thing and it's fixed!"
Well I could hope. :D

kingman
(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post by kingman » Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:09 pm

Glenlivet wrote:Actually the plate's a little over a year in service from re and re from a major reputable source.
Call the source and ask for them to look it over. Something isn't right.
In reality, it only matters what it sounds like to YOU!!!

Return to “Sunfire Home Audio”