It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:17 pm

Carverfest packing reminders

<<

frenchguy

SILVER-7t

Post Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:22 pm

Carverfest packing reminders

I'd like to make a few reminders.

1 - Print out the phone numbers of everybody who is coming. If you happen to break down on the way or need help getting there, help unpacking, a question about the last store or closest Wal-Mart or city? You'll be able to contact somebody to assist you.

2 - Remember to pack a flashlight and fresh batteries. One per person would be advisable. The mountains are out in the boontillies of North Carolina and the closest street light is probably 7 miles away. Point being, it's pretty damned dark out there. There is actually more light coming from the stars than the cabins themselves.

3 - Bring some extra rolls of toilet paper if you plan on having guests come to your cabin to listen to your rig. We have about 40-45 folks coming this year and while the cabins supply toilet paper? They only do it once, not daily.

4 - NO BOSE. As part of the unspoken rules of Carverfest, anybody who brings BLOSE into the cabins will immediately have to check it in at the door to offer it as a sacrifice to the audio Gods. A ceremony will have to be scheduled to find out when we all can watch it being thrown off the side of the mountain.

5 - Bring an umbrella "just in case". We will be in Nature's house and even though weather patterns have been dry lately, it has rained at every single Carverfest held. Think of it as insurance for your gear as you are packing or unpacking, unless you don't mind getting it all wet.

6 - No smoking in the Cabins, no exceptions. Do not flick your butts in the forest either. If we see you flick your butt off the side of the mountain, the next thing going over the mountain will be you.

7 - Don't forget your swimsuit. This is optional for the women, of course. There is a jacuzzi at every cabin....why deny yourself the luxury?

8 - Bring a selection of your favorite music and test tracks. There will be many rigs that will be setup throughout Carverfest and you may be very interested in hearing your favorite tracks or reference material on some of them. Got something killer you would like to share with the group? Bring it. A description of what you hear won't work as good as the actual music.

9 - Bring power strips or heavy duty extension cords. This mostly applies to folks that are bringing a rig or two but if you have one you can pack? It may come in handy for someone. The reason this was mentioned is that we have had some issues in the past with outlets at the cabins not being placed where they are at your house. If you want to place your rig in the optimal acoustical spot, there may not be an outlet [or outlets] to supply your rig with power.

10 - Bring your favorite cup/mug/coolie. I am requesting that you take this into serious consideration. It's not a rule, it's a suggestion to help the main cabins. Here's why. It happens every year that the main host cabins either have 28 glasses when they should have 15, or they have 4 coffee mugs when they should have 10. With so many people going in and out of any and all cabins for various reasons an untold amount of times per day, it is impossible to keep track of what mug/glass goes with what cabin. Every freakin' year we have to waste an hour or three while packing to reclaim or figure out where the hell things went. While this is really nobody's fault, it will improve [and has improved] dramatically if you have your own personal cup/mug/coolie.

11 - Take photos of the interior of your cabin before you go setting up your rig(s). Some cabins require some major changes to the cabin in order to accommodate the rig to optimal acoustics. While this is no problem [moving furniture], if you don't set it back up the way you found it? You may have a hefty fee tacked onto your bill, especially if it takes two people to move it back. Please read the cabin agreement that you have to sign for all the terms and conditions. This is not a rule, but a suggestion that has come in handy every freakin' year we have attended. To date, no fee has been charged and if we keep this up? There won't ever be an additional fee.

12 - Bring some cash. You never know what may pop up for sale.

13 - Bring some bug spray. Bugs, mosquitoes and whatnot have not really ever been a issue the years that we have been coming to the cabins but you never know. Those that are sensitive to bug bites or have a lady friend that wears something [like perfume or hair spray] that might attract said little friends, might want to bring some bug repellant.

14 - Bungee cord your trash at the cabin!!! The cabins provide two trash cans with locking lids. Unless you want to pick up all the trash in the morning, it is strongly advised that you use these lids and lock them with the bungee cords! They do have bears, raccoons, chipmunks, squirrels, bobcats and other "critters" that would love nothing more than to rummage through your trash and they will stop at nothing to get that opportunity. There will be no overnight security trash detail provided. this is just a copy/paste from what tom posted about 4 or 5 years ago, but most of it is still applicable !! 8) :)
15- If you are going to be building the linestage make sure you bring soldering gun or station, solder, small tools & pliers to assemble & install RCA jacks & all the other hardware that will need to be installed in the chassis. also glasses or magnify glass to help you see small parts while working inside of the chassis. wire cutters & strippers, small screwdrivers, phillips & regular, small allen wrenches in metric & sae. also would be a good idea to bring extension cord with a power strip so you can plug soldering iron in wherever you want to work!
Carver M-4.0t & Rollandized tfm42, ct-6 & ct-17, sda390t, jolida jd 100A & JBL L96,s Modified JBL 4401,s W/Ribbon Tweeters, Carverfest vacuum tube amp & CF Linestage, Dared SL-2000A tube preamp, Carver AL3 Amazing speakers in natural oak, Carver Cinema 5.1 subwoofer & Douglas connection cables
<<

Magnaryder

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:20 pm

Re: Carverfest packing reminders

Pretty thorough Al, nice job. I'll add if you bring CDs or LPs put your name on them.

Some of the gear you will be seeing CANNOT be replaced. Please keep that in mind when you visit other cabins.

Some stairs may be slippery or loose, please be careful.

NO BOX WINE.....

ray
Magnaryder

Its going to be used equipment when I sell it, so it may as well be used equipment when I buy it.

Tim deParavicini's E.A.R. Yoshino V20 Integrated Amplifier, Fosgate Signature Phono pre, Lucas Labs 12B4/OD3 LineStage, No. 50 and 51 Carverfest Tube amps, Hammond M3 tube amp, Ariston RD-40 Turntable w/ Linn Basik LSV tonearn, Grado Statement Master1 cartridge, Carver TX-8 & 11 tuners, Carver TD-12, Tascam CC-222mkII CD recorder, DBX-3BX & 200xg & 120x, CarverAudio ALV prototypes, Alesis Studio One loudspeakers, Energy Reference 22 Connoisseur, Cambridge Audio Model 8s, The Carver Research DarkStar Sub and Stax Earspeakers.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT...helping the blind to hear, one valve at a time
<<

frenchguy

SILVER-7t

Post Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:37 pm

Ray, I dont deserve any credit for it, tom posted this about 4 years ago & I just copy/ pasted it!! :-" I did add some to it as far as tools & such for the linestage build but most was already there, thought most of it was still applicable today. :)
Carver M-4.0t & Rollandized tfm42, ct-6 & ct-17, sda390t, jolida jd 100A & JBL L96,s Modified JBL 4401,s W/Ribbon Tweeters, Carverfest vacuum tube amp & CF Linestage, Dared SL-2000A tube preamp, Carver AL3 Amazing speakers in natural oak, Carver Cinema 5.1 subwoofer & Douglas connection cables
<<

Magnaryder

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:29 pm

frenchguy wrote:Ray, I dont deserve any credit for it, tom posted this about 4 years ago & I just copy/ pasted it!! :-" I did add some to it as far as tools & such for the linestage build but most was already there, thought most of it was still applicable today. :)

Still looks good Al.

ray
Magnaryder

Its going to be used equipment when I sell it, so it may as well be used equipment when I buy it.

Tim deParavicini's E.A.R. Yoshino V20 Integrated Amplifier, Fosgate Signature Phono pre, Lucas Labs 12B4/OD3 LineStage, No. 50 and 51 Carverfest Tube amps, Hammond M3 tube amp, Ariston RD-40 Turntable w/ Linn Basik LSV tonearn, Grado Statement Master1 cartridge, Carver TX-8 & 11 tuners, Carver TD-12, Tascam CC-222mkII CD recorder, DBX-3BX & 200xg & 120x, CarverAudio ALV prototypes, Alesis Studio One loudspeakers, Energy Reference 22 Connoisseur, Cambridge Audio Model 8s, The Carver Research DarkStar Sub and Stax Earspeakers.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT...helping the blind to hear, one valve at a time
<<

helicopterpilotdoug

SILVER-7t

Post Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:56 am

As the FNG coming this year, I really appreciate you posting this! =D> Thanks to Tom for posting it originally too! =D> :D :D
Sunfire: Theater Grand IV, Cinema Grand Signature.
Carver: TFM-45, PST-24 Cassette, Extra Carver Gear: CT-6, C-11 (S/N 00001).
Polk Audio: Mains SRS 2.1TL, Center CSiA6, Surrounds FXiA6 and FXiA4, Sub DSW MicroPro 1000, Extra Speakers SDA 2A, SDA 2Btl, Monitor 10A.
Turntable: Dual CS 714Q
Bluray/SACD: Oppo BDP 83SE
CD: Sony 330 300 Disk changer

http://www.douglasconnection.com
<<

radioeng2

SILVER-7t

Post Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:31 am

helicopterpilotdoug wrote:As the FNG coming this year, I really appreciate you posting this! =D> Thanks to Tom for posting it originally too! =D> :D :D

Ha...ha...ha...good one Doug!

The cabins are stocked pretty well in the kitchen as far as tools there. You just need to bring food stuff and condiments. If you're doing something special like your own homemade pizza, you might bring a pan for that, but all in all, they do pretty well at being well equipped.

Only thing that happens is something there last year, might be missing this year that you're counting on. That's happened a few times.

I can smell the morning coffee brewing all ready....

FOOD.....Mmmmmmmmmmmmm. It's one of the highlights of CF for sure!

Mark
<<

frenchguy

SILVER-7t

Post Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:57 am

doug, I bring a lot of pans & utensils so if you need anything, dont be afraid to ask, I probably have it!! :lol: I do a lot of cooking while on vacation & we eat very well so our kitchen will be very well stocked for the 2 weeks! :-" :) Have a lot in mind for meal planning already so just have to start jotting it down & get a list of entrees to make for the fest. Melody & I usually have a group of people over for dinner & I am sure we will do that again a few times or more during the fest. 8) I am sure our 1st trip to ingels supermarket wil be in excess of $300 this year plus a few trips for items we forgot or didnt think about! I fully expect to spend around $400 for the 2 weeks on food! not to mention the 2 plastic bins full of staples we bring along with us!! 28 days & counting!!! =D> \:D/ :D
<<

Zoot Horn

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:18 pm

Damn Al,,, 2 bins full of staples,,, doinf some office work this year? =;
<<

frenchguy

SILVER-7t

Post Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:27 pm

you know what I mean George!! ](*,) :D
<<

Robert R

TFM-45

Post Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:04 pm

Be sure to bring some dead fish for Mark, but nothing much over two or three days old.

RR
"You know what folks? I'm happy."
<<

frenchguy

SILVER-7t

Post Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:14 pm

Robert, that's right, forgot that he was such a seafood lover!! :lol:
<<

Shortcake

SILVER-7t

Post Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:17 pm

[quote="frenchguy"]I'd like to make a few reminders.

1 - Print out the phone numbers of everybody who is coming. If you happen to break down on the way or need help getting there, help unpacking, a question about the last store or closest Wal-Mart or city? You'll be able to contact somebody to assist you. I have two numbers I plan on calling when I get close to guide me in - they either answer the phone or when I see them they get the ice water challenge.

2 - Remember to pack a flashlight and fresh batteries. One per person would be advisable. The mountains are out in the boontillies of North Carolina and the closest street light is probably 7 miles away. Point being, it's pretty damned dark out there. There is actually more light coming from the stars than the cabins themselves. that's what those smartphones are for! Now to get Harry to figure out how to use it!

3 - Bring some extra rolls of toilet paper if you plan on having guests come to your cabin to listen to your rig. We have about 40-45 folks coming this year and while the cabins supply toilet paper? They only do it once, not daily. Thanks for the reminder. Considering I get bulk here, I will be covered - now how about Harry and Mark???

5 - Bring an umbrella "just in case". We will be in Nature's house and even though weather patterns have been dry lately, it has rained at every single Carverfest held. Think of it as insurance for your gear as you are packing or unpacking, unless you don't mind getting it all wet. I got quite a few of those. I will probably bring a few extra for others - make this a business trip

6 - No smoking in the Cabins, no exceptions. Do not flick your butts in the forest either. If we see you flick your butt off the side of the mountain, the next thing going over the mountain will be you. I smoke, will be in my car, and will help throw someone over if they choose that result

7 - Don't forget your swimsuit. This is optional for the women, of course. There is a jacuzzi at every cabin....why deny yourself the luxury? Not a chance in hell - with or without. We do want people to come back, and the animals would be scared to death!

8 - Bring a selection of your favorite music and test tracks. There will be many rigs that will be setup throughout Carverfest and you may be very interested in hearing your favorite tracks or reference material on some of them. Got something killer you would like to share with the group? Bring it. A description of what you hear won't work as good as the actual music. I will leave this to you all - and mooch the sounds from you. I love everything - and will of course have my backup in the car should I have to pull it out.

10 - Bring your favorite cup/mug/coolie. I am requesting that you take this into serious consideration. It's not a rule, it's a suggestion to help the main cabins. Here's why. It happens every year that the main host cabins either have 28 glasses when they should have 15, or they have 4 coffee mugs when they should have 10. With so many people going in and out of any and all cabins for various reasons an untold amount of times per day, it is impossible to keep track of what mug/glass goes with what cabin. Every freakin' year we have to waste an hour or three while packing to reclaim or figure out where the hell things went. While this is really nobody's fault, it will improve [and has improved] dramatically if you have your own personal cup/mug/coolie. My coffee cup is my AMerican Express - never leave home without it - and it holds anything I want to put inside. Most times people think it's coffee.

12 - Bring some cash. You never know what may pop up for sale. [size=150]That is what Harry is for!!! Isn't it????[/size]

13 - Bring some bug spray. Bugs, mosquitoes and whatnot have not really ever been a issue the years that we have been coming to the cabins but you never know. Those that are sensitive to bug bites or have a lady friend that wears something [like perfume or hair spray] that might attract said little friends, might want to bring some bug repellant. Forgot about this necessity - since I am allergic to just about everything with wings - including fairies and angels - better bring extra...

Thanks for the reminders - anyone else want to be woken up early Sunday by a late arrival???? Shoot me your phone number. kitten31@ptd.net or Bitsy1@ptd.net
It is cruel, you know, that music should be so beautiful. It has the beauty of loneliness of pain: of strength and freedom. The beauty of disappointment and never-satisfied love. The cruel beauty of nature and everlasting beauty of monotony. - Benjamen Britten
<<

radioeng2

SILVER-7t

Post Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:44 pm

Zoot Horn wrote:Damn Al,,, 2 bins full of staples,,, doinf some office work this year? =;

George, you're still pretty sharp! Don't let Harry tell you otherwise! That was a good pickup!! That was a good laugh! O:)
<<

radioeng2

SILVER-7t

Post Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:52 pm

Maybe we should have a phone list again this year.

If you wish to join a number list, please post or PM me what numbers you'll have along and I'll tag it on somehow to the cabin list so you can print one list and know who's where for how long and number(s) for them.

As far as that goes, wonder if anybody has a list of the cabin numbers too. If so, I'll include that.

In advance, I'll ask please be gentle with contact. The prime reason is simple safety communication. This is a much needed vacation for many of us who hear phones ring way too much!!

Mark
<<

frenchguy

SILVER-7t

Post Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:12 pm

this was listed 4 years ago, most should still be valid?Toy Maker: [James]
James Sauter - 239-410-1622 cell
Emergency Contacts: 239-410-5559 / 239-772-9341

DaveS: [Dave]
Dave Sauter - 239-410-5559 cell
Emergency Contacts: 239-410-1622 / 239-772-9341

Eddie: [Eddie]
Edward Mackiewicz - 848-250-6195 cell

Magnaryder: [Ray]
Ray Camble - 419-544-3302 cell

Zoot Horn: [George]
George Daniel - 770-468-9181 cell

Kingman: [Wayne]
Wayne King - 864-934-6417 cell

Thuffman03: [Tom]
Tom Huffman - 412 841 8294 cell
Emergency Contact: 724-502-2194 - father

beemers417 [Tom]
Tom Zurcher - 412-310-3537 cell

FrankieD [Frankie]
Frankie MMMMMMMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmGAY! (805) 443-1010 cell
Emergency Home # (805) 484-9487

BrianT [Brian]
Brian Tuner - 613-240-2905 cell
Emergency: Michelle (daughter) 613-697-7229

mbskeam [Mike]
425 344 5603 cell
Emergency: 206 229 9487 or 206 391 7766

angelod307 [Angelo]
Angelo - 803-983-4596 / Lisa - 803-983-4566
Emergency: 803-473-5900

Don [Don]
386-503-5365 cell
Emergency: 386-439-5367

Frenchguy & Cheesequeen
cells 920-540-3247 920-475-4689
home 920-779-4011
Carverfest Cabin #'s
Treehouse B - 828-488-9504
WS1 - 828-488-6701
WS2 - 828-488-6592
WS5 - 828-488-3352
WS7 - 828-488-8051
WS9 - 828-488-4355
WS10 - 828-488-2161
WS11 - 828-488-0681
WS12 - 828-488-6729
WS 6 - 828-488-7643
Last edited by frenchguy on Thu Aug 14, 2014 5:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Next

Return to CARVERFEST 2014 Sep 10-24