What are you bringing to CF 2015?

9th Annual CarverFest Sep 9-23
AlexSauter
Site Admin

Re: What are you bringing to CF 2015?

Post by AlexSauter » Fri Sep 04, 2015 4:40 am

oldtexasdog wrote:Besides food for 24-30 people the packing job is getting crazy. Maybe I need to rent a U-Haul? I think any suggestions on what to bring and what not to bring would be excellent advice for a newbee =D>
Seriosly we are driving in Susan's Chry 300 (wish we could go in the Mustang GT but Susan does not do standerd) and doing the half way at Memphis. Hy 40 all the way. So I know I won't be assembling the speaker stands as I will need to pack them. I would like to bring my C1-Tube amp- and a Pair of book shelf speakers so we will have music to listen to. Susan likes a lot of towels for her morning shower? We like to grind our morning coffee. Gonna need a lot of big bowls and pans for the cook up. Gonna need to bring my tool set for the speaker assembly. Gonna need clothes :-({|= for 5 days. Gonna need more food for the stay. Booz :-" Ice??

I feel like my dress is over my head!

WHAT SHOULD I BRING?? or Not Bring?

Thanks for helping a newbe out thats driving a long ways and has not been out of home in 4 years :-({|=

OTD, I would advise against a U-Haul, I doubt it would make it up either of the hill's driveways... James & Dave bring an 8x5 box trailer every year & its difficult getting it up the hill.

As far as what to bring, if you're planning on cooking, definately BYO cookware, the cabins are not really stocked with equipment for more than 6 people & the treehouses are set up for a single couple.
Bring your equipment, of all brands, everyone loves to see new toys, as long as its not Bose. :lol:
Walking shoes, a flshlight & bugspray would definately be great ideas to bring, the cabins are not far apart, but the only paved road is one of the entrances.

CASH! Cash is always a great thing to bring, you never know who is selling what and you never know when there's something ya just can't go home without! :P

On another note, James talked to Nate at Watershed, who is overseeing CarverFest, a few weeks ago.
Extra linens & toiletries were among the list of improvements for our stay, along with extra fire wood and starter supplies.
Nate has been very helpful with this year's Fest.
My system (sitting in the garage):

(Stereo System)
Carver Pro PT-1800
Logitech Squeezebox
RCA-Headphone jack for iPod & iPhone

oldtexasdog
M-400t CUBE

Post by oldtexasdog » Fri Sep 04, 2015 7:00 am

Thanks for the info I appreciate!
There are two holes in Daddy's head where all the money goes.

MRHP
SILVER-7t

Post by MRHP » Fri Sep 04, 2015 7:20 am

oldtexasdog wrote:Besides food for 24-30 people the packing job is getting crazy. Maybe I need to rent a U-Haul? I think any suggestions on what to bring and what not to bring would be excellent advice for a newbee =D>
Seriosly we are driving in Susan's Chry 300 (wish we could go in the Mustang GT but Susan does not do standerd) and doing the half way at Memphis. Hy 40 all the way. So I know I won't be assembling the speaker stands as I will need to pack them. I would like to bring my C1-Tube amp- and a Pair of book shelf speakers so we will have music to listen to. Susan likes a lot of towels for her morning shower? We like to grind our morning coffee. Gonna need a lot of big bowls and pans for the cook up. Gonna need to bring my tool set for the speaker assembly. Gonna need clothes :-({|= for 5 days. Gonna need more food for the stay. Booz :-" Ice??

Thanks for helping a newbe out thats driving a long ways and has not been out of home in 4 years :-({|=
I could bring a spare set of little DQ-6 speakers for you to borrow while at the fest, and/or Harry usually has about 20 sets of speakers with him...lol Might save you a little room but definately bring some gear cuz we all like to see new toys.
TFM-75 serial #0001
PT-2400 serial #0001
Baby Black Magic serial #0001
Baby Black Magic serial #0002
Cherry/260wpc Mono Blocks
Lightstar Reference
Sunfire Series II 625x2
Carver 490t
OPPO-103
Lucas Labs CF-14
Sunfire Tube pre
DENON DP-62L TT
DUAL CS 5000 TT
DQ-20's
Tesla CF-15 speakers
Douglas Cables
OK ERIC, LET GO OF THE MOUSE AND BACK AWAY FROM YOUR PC WITH YOUR HANDS IN THE AIR. NOW SLOWLY LAY FACE DOWN ON THE FLOOR!!!! - Snoop65

Zoot Horn
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by Zoot Horn » Fri Sep 04, 2015 8:10 am

Those baby DQ's are very surprising too!

Robert R
TFM-75

Post by Robert R » Fri Sep 04, 2015 8:50 am

GUYS - Don't forget - OTD is in a Treehouse. Running any system other than headphones might be impossible, unless none get rented by non-Fest persons.

RobertR
"You know what folks? I'm happy."

Zoot Horn
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by Zoot Horn » Fri Sep 04, 2015 8:57 am

Good point Robert

Martin1970
TFM-35

Post by Martin1970 » Fri Sep 04, 2015 9:05 am

My car went underwater so it looks like I'll be driving the company van until I find a replacement.
The good news is that there's plenty of room for any/everything.

Probably bringing -
Digital Frankenstein Pro/sumer Unnecessarily Complicated Hodge-Podge System

consisting of:
Original Amazings upgraded to 60" ribbons actively biamped.
Sunfire 400 Seven - either 2 or 3 of them.
Rane processors - 4 of them (similar to minidsp)
Old win xp box that drives everything.
ghetto-looking loose subwoofers - 4 each
a gutted Yamaha processor that is used as a remote volume control
about 10 million cables to hook everything up
a network switch and router
a couple of monitors

also bringing:
PS3 in case anyone wants to rip SACDs (no one ever does but you never know)
Toolkit
Soldering station kit

Optional stuff - if anyone wants to see any of this ...
DQ-10s
DQ-8s
Polk SDA-SRS2s
the world famous Don / Andrew Jones Pioneers w/ stands & matching center

C-1 (BillD modded)
C-19 (Barney)
C-11 (son of Barney)
Philips AG9015 EL86 OTL tube integrated amp (gets hotter than the surface of the sun)
Matching 800 ohm Philips speakers
Akai R2R GX-635D (If anyone has an actual tape, I'd love to see if it works.)
TX-11a
Yamaha T-80
Rane spectrum analyzer
Rane parametrics PE-17
Rane digital delay AD-22b
Rane crossover AC-23b
Technics SH-8066 eq/analyzer
C-9

Robert R
TFM-75

Post by Robert R » Fri Sep 04, 2015 12:36 pm

Hi Martin,

I have a small stack of HSCDs, and a couple of them won't play on a regular CD player. Would love to rip those.
Others are early stereo Mercury and RCA with the original three-channels, and still others are four or five-channel. Don't know any way to handle multichannel on a PC - never saw one that was into more than just left and right.

From your "optionals" list: I'd love to play with the Holography on a C-11 for an hour someday - never heard the "Precognition" version of SH.
If you want to check out your R-T-R machine, I'll bring some tapes - all on 7" reels. If that Akai is like my CX-230D, after sitting for some time the monitor switch would probably need some Deoxit and a bunch of working. And the rubber items probably will need a bit of work also. I could bring a few accessories.

Looking forward to seeing you again, whatever you bring.

RobertR

Martin1970
TFM-35

Post by Martin1970 » Fri Sep 04, 2015 2:28 pm

Robert R wrote:I have a small stack of HSCDs, and a couple of them won't play on a regular CD player.
Do you mean HDCDs? Those can be ripped on a PC and played back using a Foobar plugin. I'd be happy to do that for you.
Robert R wrote:Don't know any way to handle multichannel on a PC - never saw one that was into more than just left and right.
One cheap way is with a multichannel USB sound card. Creative has made a few and Also Asus iirc. The more expensive way is with a dedicated studio i/o card like a Lynx or a Weiss. 16 ch digital in/out.
Robert R wrote:From your "optionals" list: I'd love to play with the Holography on a C-11 for an hour someday - never heard the "Precognition" version of SH.
Done.
Robert R wrote:If you want to check out your R-T-R machine, I'll bring some tapes - all on 7" reels.
I'd love that, thanks.
Robert R wrote: Looking forward to seeing you again, whatever you bring.
Same here!

Any chance you guys have Sunfire meter lamps? Just noticed another one went out on me. I'd be happy to pay for one/put it in myself.

Robert R
TFM-75

Post by Robert R » Fri Sep 04, 2015 2:48 pm

The only Sunfire power amp in my life so far has been the one James owns that we used most of the time when testing the CF speakers. The meter light has been out the entire time, so either he doesn't have an bulb source or doesn't give a shit. If anybody knows it would be that wabbit...

The popular trick lately is to convert to LEDs. They don't burn out much, and you have a large choice of colors. Some simple circuit work, then mount it/them somehow. If the original was running on DC, you just use resistors to get the voltage down to what's needed. If it was running on AC, you add a rectifier and then deal with the voltage.

RR

Martin1970
TFM-35

Post by Martin1970 » Fri Sep 04, 2015 2:55 pm

Believe it or not, I dig the original lights even though they're a bit fussy.
They're the same lamps as in the m500 and many other amps.
I have an online source but thought I'd knock it out while I'm there with the soldering iron out.

oldtexasdog
M-400t CUBE

Post by oldtexasdog » Fri Sep 04, 2015 3:22 pm

Robert R wrote:GUYS - Don't forget - OTD is in a Treehouse. Running any system other than headphones might be impossible, unless none get rented by non-Fest persons.

RobertR

Can't play any music during the day at modest volume?

oldtexasdog
M-400t CUBE

Post by oldtexasdog » Fri Sep 04, 2015 3:34 pm

MRHP wrote:

I could bring a spare set of little DQ-6 speakers for you to borrow while at the fest, and/or Harry usually has about 20 sets of speakers with him...lol Might save you a little room but definately bring some gear cuz we all like to see new toys.

Sound great! Thanks! It will save some packing room.

oldtexasdog
M-400t CUBE

Post by oldtexasdog » Fri Sep 04, 2015 7:48 pm

It is a modest amp and won't make too much noise. :-$ Can I keep it? [-o<

Ohh shoot I am a dummy that canot figure out how to load a pic of it :-({|=

hewlew1
"You Fuckin' Fucks"

Post by hewlew1 » Fri Sep 04, 2015 8:16 pm

OTD, This is the tube amp you are building ? Cant wait to get my ears on it.
"Carver Audio, why settle for less, just ask my neighbors"
C1,C2,CT3,CT6,CT7/3,CT23,CT26,C4000,The Receiver,M500,M500T/6,M1.5T,TFM24/2,TFM/25/3,TFM35,TFM35X,TFM42/2,DTL200,TDR1700,DPL20,TX11/2, 5.2Center,5.1Sub/3,Original Amazings,Platinum Amazings/2,AL3'S,Polk SDA SRS, Polk SDA 1C's, Polk RTA11's, Polk Monitor 10's/2 ,Monitor 7's, Sunfire 300x2 /5, Sunfire pre, Sunfire MK2 Sub/2, 4 Carverfest monoblocks, Carverfest linestage preamp/2, Mapletree Audio Designs Tube Preamp,Phase Linear Andromeda III speakers, Phase Linear 4000 Preamp, Dahlquist DQ-10's
CERTIFIED AMPLE PLIERS EXPERT
Some of the best fuckings we get during our lifetime come from a relative!
I don't kiss ass, I dont take peoples shit, so dont expect it from me!

Return to “CARVERFEST 2015”